You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The House In Pennsylvania

Real Ghost Stories

The House In Pennsylvania

 

In 2005, while serving in the U.S. Navy, I took leave in between duty stations. At the time, I was engaged to a Sailor who lived in Pennsylvania, I'll call him Tim. I decided that I would visit him between visiting family in Michigan and Florida. Being that it wasn't too far from where my dad lived in Michigan, my dad and my stepmom drove me to Tim's house. Immediately upon pulling into the driveway, I was overcome with a sense of dread that I did not express to my dad or stepmom.

The house was older, not well maintained, and was surrounded by weeds and untamed trees and bushes. It looked like a house you would see in a horror film. However, I really wanted to see Tim, so I sucked it up, wrote it off as nerves about being in an unfamiliar place, and went inside. The only way to describe what I felt when I went inside is to say that it felt like the house was bursting with negative energy. I felt like there were multiple spirits and honestly, the feeling was overwhelming. It almost felt like the house was alive; it was an absolutely awful feeling but now I was stuck. My dad was already gone and I didn't have a way to call him because he didn't have a cellphone.

Tim was still at work so I was forced to sit in the house by myself for an hour or so, the entire time I literally felt like I was in danger. To add to that sense of fear, the house was incredibly dark (it was nighttime), and it was like the lamps in the house couldn't penetrate the darkness. Tim finally came home and we went to bed shortly after. I barely slept the first night because I didn't feel safe, however, the first night was pretty uneventful.

The next night, I again struggled to sleep. I felt like something or someone was bent over me, staring down at me, it felt like their face was just inches from mine. It was absolutely terrible. I did my best to ignore it because I didn't want to act weird in front of my fiancé and somehow, I managed to fall asleep. The next morning, I woke up and started stretching out. As I was stretching, I realized my hair felt funny, like there was something heavy in it. I reached up to feel what it was, and realized that during my sleep, something or someone, had pulled back a chunk of my hair and clipped it with what looked like a little girls hairclip. It was a jelly clip, clear pink with glitter in it, and it clipped like a banana clip. It should be noted that there were no little girls in the house at any time while I was there. This freaked me out so bad, I still get goosebumps all these years later, I don't understand how I could have slept through someone pulling my hair back and clipping it. I asked Tim about it and he was as unsure as I was. It was so creepy and weird.

The visit with my fiancé was overall pretty terrible, so bad in fact that I changed my flight and left several days earlier than planned. That sense of dread and fear lasted the entire time we were in that house and I'll never forget it. It was a feeling so awful, I've never experienced it before or since this event, even with numerous "ghostly" experiences. To add to this, my dad and stepmom felt that same sense of dread but they didn't say anything because I was an adult and they didn't want to interfere with my plans. My dad told me that he actually almost turned around to come get me because of the feeling he had (looking back, I wish he had). Tim and I ended up ending our relationship just after the visit. I wish I still had the address of the house because I would like to research its history.

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Pennsylvania

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Meaghan, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Meaghan (1 stories) (3 posts)
+2
2 years ago (2022-10-10)
virulentpeach I just read the story you recommend it is bizarre how her feelings in the home were so similar to mine. I didn't experience shadows, growling or whispers, but that feeling that there were spirits everywhere overwhelmed me the entire time I was in the home.
virulentpeach (12 stories) (40 posts)
+2
2 years ago (2022-10-08)
Look up a story on this site "The House With a Million Eyes" also from Pennsylvania. It sounds exactly like this house.
Linjahaha (24 stories) (131 posts)
+2
2 years ago (2022-08-28)
Meaghen, I completely understand, & symphathize with 'this' particular account of yours to the max.
My late hubby, John, & I lived in a terribly haunted house for almost 4 years. It very nearly broke us up for how it so negatively affected the both of us. Seriously!
The feelings we had were overwhelming, & the paranormal activity rose to a fever pitch when "I" moved in. He was rather psychic, as was I, & his mother was, definitely 'very' psychic. She read tea leaves, & never did it for profit. However, the information she gleaned from those leaves was astounding.
She was the one who learned from the leaves how very haunted the house actually was. However, the mystery as to whom, or what was haunting the house managed to evade her. She was able to tell us, with a marked degree of accuracy, approximately when we'd be able to move out. We were stuck for almost 4 years due to finances. That place affected almost every aspect of our lives. So, I don't doubt that it was adversely affecting you boyfriend in the same fashion.
I assure you that something like that 'can', & 'does' affect the living in a negative, & sometimes, counter productive way.
It just 'might' behoove you to look into the history of the general area in the region. You just may be surprised what you learn that may enlighten you as to what went on in the house, or on the property.
I tend to agree with 'Lost Voyage' that it may well be the land itself that is haunted. If you get the chance, just look into it, & if you learn something interesting, or unusual, please share it with us! Good Luck 😜 😜
The_Lost_Voyage_11 (7 stories) (243 posts)
+3
2 years ago (2022-08-27)
Hello Meaghan, fascinating encounter, thanks for sharing!

It is interesting how people are able to live in haunted places, some adapt to it, I think it becomes sort of a coping mechanism. I remember once when my brother remarked to my cousin about seeing a ghost, my cousin took a look and then merely shrugged and said "That happens all the time", as if it was an normal everyday thing to watch a ghost move through your house! In some ways in may be similar to how people adapt to traumatic situations in order to cope/survive, especially if there's nothing they can do about (my cousins at the time were kids)

However in this particular case, I don't think Tim was immune to the feelings the house gave off, I think it matched his vibration so to speak and so he took no particular note of it. I mean if you were in a house of negative people, all the time, it would rub off on a person and after a time it would become 'normal' for lack of a better word.

From your description and that of your parents, the house gave off too strong a vibe to be ignored by anyone. The wild look to the place, the overgrown appearance would be proof enough, that something was off.

I know you mentioned Tim was not a nice person and I'm curious since the relationship broke off after this visit, without getting too personal, may I ask what his personality was like when he was not at home, when you first met him?

I would venture a guess, though I may be wrong that when Tim first moved in, he probably did feel off, saw things, experienced things, definitely felt things, but merely wrote them off as imagination, tried to rationalize them away. As time went on the house's negative vibe began to be absorbed by him and influenced his behavior and personality. It happens alot, there are scores of stories on this very site of people being literally transformed by living in such a place, and couple's who were blissfully happy when they moved in ending things in a bitter divorce. I'm not stating this as fact, as you were there, I wasn't but it is a feeling I have.

Someone mentioned it could have been Tim's negative vibe that drew in the energy, but I would reverse that and say it's the other way around, the house definitely affected him. He would do well to get away from there. From what you describe it's the area, not the person that reeks of negative energy.

There were many areas in Pennsylvania, that were the site of Civil War battles, you may not have the exact address, but if you know the township/general area, you could research that, it wouldn't take long and may yield some answers for you. Many people have described similar feelings to what you experienced on these old battlefields where many lost their lives. Good Luck!
mamamissy7 (1 stories) (3 posts)
+2
2 years ago (2022-08-27)
That is strange. There must be an unhappy spirit who is lingering there for whatever reason. Often times it seems to be an unexpected or tragic type of death that causes that type of presence.
Meaghan (1 stories) (3 posts)
+2
2 years ago (2022-08-25)
Hello Rajine. I completely agree. It is amazing how some people are completely cut off from those "intuitive senses". I'm a little envious of those people, honestly. I do know that I will never stay in a place that gives off the vibes that house had ever again.
Rajine (14 stories) (777 posts)
+2
2 years ago (2022-08-25)
Hi Meaghan

It's kind of crazy how certain people can live in a spooky place and be blissfully unaware it, I don't think I'd have been able to stay there even for a night.
Aslipablo (4 stories) (11 posts)
+2
2 years ago (2022-08-25)
Well, I guess Meaghan, many deaths in the house may have prompted a negative atmosphere, also if the guy was an unpleasant person that also attract a lot of negativity which could trigger these unpleasant souls. Thankfully you are not hurt or attracted to anything negative.
Meaghan (1 stories) (3 posts)
+2
2 years ago (2022-08-24)
Aslipablo I never did say anything to him. He wasn't the nicest person and I didn't want to be judged or made to feel stupid so I left it alone. I do know that the house used to be owned by his grandmother who had passed, and the house was given to her children. I'm not sure how long the house had been in their family though.
Aslipablo (4 stories) (11 posts)
+2
2 years ago (2022-08-24)
yes, searching the history of the house could tell a lot about what was going on there. Also, does Tim own that house or rent it, and did you say anything about this to him? Because he might be aware of things you noticed.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: