You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Psychic / Medium :: The Hidden Cellar

Real Ghost Stories

The Hidden Cellar

 

This story doesn't involve me - in fact, the occurrence happened thirty or so years ago when my Mom was young. It was she who told me the story, and here I am relating it here. My aunt Nonny and her new husband had decided that living with the parents simply wasn't appropriate anymore, considering she had six siblings and that three of them were young enough to still live at home, so she went out house hunting, as you do. When she went to go and see this one particular house, though, she took my Mom along with her, to get her out of the house and get some fresh air.

So, my Mom went with her and her husband to this relatively old house, and almost immediately she could tell something was off. Really off.

She described it as though there was something hateful in the house, glaring at them and hating them, and as though something terrible had happened there. She was shivering and absolutely petrified for no apparent reason, and really wanted to get out of there. Nonny, ever the pragmatist, told her to pull herself together and get over herself.

Despite these words of advice, Mom couldn't ignore the feeling that she was trapped and continued to be in this state of utter terror. For some reason, she was convinced that there was something very, very wrong, and it was in the cellar. One tiny little problem - there was no cellar. Still, she kept on that there was a cellar there, and that the door was behind the bookcase. Mom had no idea why she knew this, but she was desperate to open the cellar door and equally as desperate to run for the hills and never set foot in the house again.

Nonny, embarrassed and exasperated with her sister's behaviour (as anyone would be when faced with a sibling about to go into hysterics over an unsubstantiated feeling), somehow managed to convince the estate agent to move the bookcase aside to prove there was nothing there. This bookcase, may I add, was one of those heavy, old-fashioned ones, or so she says, and it took both the estate agent and Nonny's husband to shift it. And, to everyone's surprise, there was a door.

The door was prised open, and mom immediately felt a release, as though there had been something trapped in there and now it had been set free. She describes it as though it was a gust of wind or a release of pressure in the air. The estate agent was amazed (and probably a little creeped out) because he had no record of there being a door there, and certainly no record of a cellar.

They thanked the estate agent for his time, and left. Nonny never did buy that house, instead choosing a nice, normal flat she'd found earlier. She never let us talk about it either, saying it was nonsense and Mom simply had a lucky guess.

Later research on Mom's part showed that there had been something terrible happen there, that a family had been locked up in there and after they'd been freed by the police they'd sealed the cellar away. Whilst they didn't die, I expect the emotions, the fear they experienced, must have left an impression in the cellar that my Mom felt and responded to. But that's speculation on my part.

Other hauntings by Setion

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Setion, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Setion (6 stories) (10 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-03-27)
Hi Lexie-loo 😊 I live in the West Midlands, and I am surprised that you have never heard of a house with a cellar in the UK. While not common in modern houses, there are plenty of older houses with them. If you don't believe me, you can use property search sites to find them - I got around 4700 hits when I checked zoopla for my area just now.
lexi-loo (1 stories) (175 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-08-22)
what part of the uk was this as houses here do not have cellars as most of them are flats in stairs or even main door houses are not built with cellars if you go under a house in the uk you are mostly likely to get suffocated I'm a pile of wood and dust I have been all over the uk and never came across a house with a cellar
Ohiowatha (11 stories) (415 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-20)
Blows me away that some people will be presented almost undeniable facts and STILL refuse to acknowledge the possibility of something supernatural as having occurred.

No offense, but your aunt won't get anywhere hiding her head in the sand! 😁

Seriously, she "got lucky" that there was a cellar door nobody knew about hidden exactly where she said it was? Come ON, people!... Sheesh...
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-20)
That was a great story Setion. I have to agree with you that the people who lived there left the emotions in that house. But I wonder if that was the only thing. MAybe there is another end oif the story. Try fining information about the house. MAybe its haunted? Who knows? I really liked your story. I hope to hear from you soon and atke care
JPing (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-19)
Amazing story. I've never before considered the possibility that emotion alone is enough to leave such an imprint. Very interesting, thanks.
keekee404 (1 stories) (23 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-18)
Interesting story. Your mother must have been able to sense the emotions that once took place in that cellar, maybe because it was hidden all this time and wanted to be found? Hehe
Emma2008 (4 stories) (110 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-18)
I think you are absolutely right. Your mom surely has good reception for emotions. Great story!
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-18)
I have to agree with Jennifer, it's always a pleasure reading your stories Setion.

Like Whitebuffalo very correctly stated, powerful feelings whether possitive or negative do leave an imprint on the atmosphere of a place. It doesn't always have to involve someone's death;even those places that have 'witnessed' suffering can somehow entrap the feeling of pain or terror. Obviously your mum's feeling about the cellar was well justified.
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-18)
Setion,
What a wonderful story!

Also, how are we to know that everything that is paranormal has to come after death or without presence of life? Your theory may certainly have some merit.

Thank you for sharing your story with us!

God Bless!
Jennifer40 (20 stories) (202 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-18)
Hi Setion,
Thanks for another great story! I always enjoy them immensely. The story itself, combined with your style of writing keeps me hanging on to every word.

Jennifer ❤
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-18)
Hi Setion,
I would agree with you in that "I expect the emotions, the fear they experienced, must have left an impression in the cellar". I have come to believe that strong emotions do leave an imprint on the atmosphere of a place, not necessarily a residual haunting, but an oppressive, or commanding air.
I would have to say that as your Mother felt a gust of air, and IMMEDIATE relief, that is exactly what happened. I would think that once the room was depressurized, all the ill feelings were released and dissipated. It would be interesting to go back with her, though, to see if the feelings have changed. Just because I am sure the cellar door has been re closed.
Thank you.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: