You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The Museum Of Witchcraft And Wizardology

Real Ghost Stories

The Museum Of Witchcraft And Wizardology

 

This is an experience of when I was in Stratford-Upon-Avon in May 2008 for my coursework. I was with my friends Rebecca and Chris and we were a group having to do a lot of work!

We had already completed most of it from our first visit about a month ago, so this time we were allowed basically to do our own stuff, and since we were doing about tourism, we decided to visit some tourist attractions.

The thing that I really wanted to do was "The Museum of Withcraft and Wizardology" and my friend Rebecca had promised that we would do it, and so we did.

From the outside, it looked really good and interesting, and when we went inside, the woman at the desk was handily dressed as a witch and there was Harry Potter and other "scary" music playing. It did seem a little corny, but I was a little bit scared and so were Rebecca and Chris.

Once we had paid, the woman told us about it, and how it was one of the most haunted buildings in Stratford and that priests and ghost hunters had visited it and made contact with spirits there. She then warned us that we should hold on when going upstairs, as they had a spirit that like to push.

We set off and looked at the exibitions, reading the handy leaflet as we went. The museum was tiny and basically set up in someones house. It was a bit scary, and we did all feel a push when going upstairs or down them. Some of the rooms provided lots of information and scares, but it was still a bit cheesy thinking back.

However, there was one room that I really didn't want to go in. I don't know why, but something about it made me freak out and I couldn't go in. Rebecca said that she felt in but Chris, being man, went in first and showed us all that there was nothing to be afraid of. He went in and me and Rebecca followed. I was shaking and holding onto Rebecca's arm with such a tight grip. Eventually, I calmed down and felt a little bit at ease, but we all felt like we were being watched.

We couldn't read the booklet because it was so dark, but we had a bit of a venture and then I left and waited in the corridor, which was alright.

In some rooms, you could feel a pressure, a bit of a panic (whether it was me just scared shiatless!) and I hated it.

When we did leave, we sat on a bench and read the booklet and read some of the stories about ghosts and the rooms. It was scary. Almost every room was said to have had a ghost of some sort in it and a lot of people had seen them. We hadn't seen anything, just felt things and I didn't really want to go back any time soon!

When I got home from the trip, I told my dad and gave him the leaflets and this "newsletter" thing that the people had given us and oh was that very corny! He said that it seemed a load of rubbish and that we only "felt" things because the woman had told us the stories really well, which could have been true I suppose.

I'm just wondering, has anyone been to this place and felt or seen anything? It's appeared on the TV once or twice, ever seen it? I didn't. I just don't know whether it's all real because whilst we were going around Stratford there were a few places that were "haunted", one of which was not to be visited by under 14's unless with an adult because it was haunted and it offered spooky midnight walks.

But what I felt was convinsing.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, laurenemmam, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

laurenemmam (guest)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-23)
So...has anyone actually been to the museum?
I definately reccomend it!
Xxx
laurenemmam (guest)
+1
16 years ago (2008-08-17)
For like the millionth time, this place is in Stratford-Upon-Avon, England!
Lol its a place that is well worth a visit though:)
walangk3 (2 stories) (17 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-17)
I have never heard of this place?! But where is it? I really want to go! And I mean REALLY Really, want to go! 😁
laurenemmam (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-10)
This place that I wrote about is in Stratford-Upon-Avon.
I have mentioned about another one that is not so scary in Boscastle, Cornwall.
Xxxxx
Piro (4 stories) (19 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-09)
Amsome! I want to go! 😁 Where is it?!? That is cOoL! I am so happy! YYYYYYAAAAAAAAAYYYYYY!
laurenemmam (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-09)
Hey,
In my last comment I said that I have only been to the States once, when actually I have been three times.
Sorry about that!
Xxxx
laurenemmam (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-08)
Yeh I agree with you
I have only been to the States once (I live in the UK) and never saw any haunted homes/museums out there...
But then again, I only know of Stratford's and Cornwall's museums
Xxxxx
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-08)
Thank you, laurenemmam.
How interesting. I wonder why it is that we would have to travel outside of the States to visit such a place? I mean, I know of a few "working" houses here, but I am totally unaware of a museum.
Thanks again.
laurenemmam (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-08)
its a home turned into a museum... There were no relics there really... Just a ouija board and some books and tarrot cards.
Honestly, it was more about ghosts and stories and fairies really...
The one that I went to in Cornwall, now that was a witchcraft museum xxx
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-07)
I just have one question. What is the historical reference of the home and the museum? What I mean is, was the home a home that was turned into a museum, or were all of the relics and such brought to the home?
Unfortunately, I feel that your Dad was right. I feel that the power of suggestion from the woman who was the greeter in the establishment was so strong, that it carried you all around for the ride. Our minds are very powerful, and can make things happen that really should not. And they can also make us see and feel things that SHOULD be there according to the legends.
Thank you.
laurenemmam (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-06)
Hi!
Ok,
DRAGONLORD...I really don't get what you want me to answer! What does "So I was only the portrets or...?" mean? Sorry!
SPIRITGIRLS
This place was in Stratford... Follow the link that I gave in one of my other comments (below) and it tells you everything on there. I love witchcraft as well... I think voodoo is particulary cool but would never do it.
JASMIN314
I know!
All the ghosts and spookyness aside, this house was pretty amazing. And Stratford is full of houses like that. I think that only the downstairs part (the gift shop) had been renovated or whatever but it was still really cool
Thanks for all the comments!
Xxx
Jasmin314 (13 stories) (210 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-06)
pretty interesting place you visited. I took a look at the website... It does seem a bit corny, but I'm sure it's worth the while. They have to attract people some way. I cannot believe this place is 450 years old! That is extremely old. I don't know many "houses" still standing that could be over 200 years old. That is amazing.
spiritgirls (3 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-06)
hey I love witch craft and all the witch stuff its so intriguing maybe if you could tell me where its at so can get directions to so thanks for sharing your story otherwise I wouldn't have known 😁
dragonlord (4 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-06)
hey,
I'm sorry I don't understand...
You feld you were being watched. So I was only the portrets or...?
Please answer me
Thanks.
laurenemmam (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-06)
The stairs were really old and narrow (the house was shakespearian house) and it was dark.
There was definately a spirit in the room that I found hard to go in!
Xxxx
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-06)
Hi Lauren. Thanks for sharring this story with us. I don't think that there was a spirit pushing you all down the stairs. Maybe the stairs were built in a way to give an illustion. But the room might have had a spirit. Some people can sence something and if not just one person felt it I guess the spirit wanted its presence known. Thanks again. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
laurenemmam (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-06)
It is definately a place worth visiting if you like haunted buildings!
I have been looking around on the internet and the musuem is located in one of the most haunted buildings in the UK or something like that.
I think that the reason I may have got so freaked out was because it was a) my first time in a real haunted house and b) the woman at the desk scared me! Lol
I would actually like to go back and spend a little more time in there and get some pictures... If I had the guts!
Xxxx
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-05)
Thank you for locating the web site and I did take the virtual tour... I would love to visit this place.

God Bless!
ElectricTNT (1 stories) (45 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-05)
I have never heard of this location either but having read the home page for the link that you provided, I can't imagine that there is a whole lot to this site as they are allowing children under six in free.
It seems to me that if this were legitimate, it would be irresponsible too allow young children to enter.
laurenemmam (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-05)
Omg!
I have just been looking on that website and have found out some information about the one room that I didn't want to go in!
Http://www.creakycauldron.org/hauntedchamber.html
This gives information about that room. In my story, I say that "we all felt like we were being watched" and the picture in this link may have something to do with our uneasy feelings.
Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
laurenemmam (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-05)
Yeah here is a website...
Http://www.creakycauldron.org/
I am going to have a look as well...it's a bit stupid of me but I never realised it had its own website!
Whilst I was on holiday in Cornwall last week, we went to Boscastle and went to a proper Witchcraft museum. It has been around since my nan was little and it was most definately not corny or cheesey! I spoke to the people who owned it and they said about the one in Stratford looking a bit "cheesey" but then again, who knows.
Thinking about what I felt now, I have mixed opinions. Some of the rooms in this place did, I think, have a ghost or two, but others were just made scary.
Oh, and in one of the rooms there was a Ouija Board, and from my first experience of them in one of my other stories, I didn't go anywhere near it, but my friends did fiddle with the planchette. You don't think that this would have done anything do you?
Oh! And speaking of that Ouija Board, when we first went into that room the planchette was on "NO" and then when we came back about 15 minutes later, it was on "YES". We were the only people in the building at the time and the owners were downstairs. And that's when my friends fiddled with it and moved the planchette about.
Sorry about only just remembering that!
Xxxxxxx
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-04)
I have never heard of this place until your story, but now plan to do a bit of research on my own. Do you know if a web site is listed in the flier you took home?

Thanks for sharing your adveture with us.
As far as being corny or made up--you must answer your self on how you felt and what you think. Others can not always tell you. Your experiences are just that, your experiences.

God Bless!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: