You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The Furnace Room

Real Ghost Stories

The Furnace Room

 

I would like to start off by saying I have been visiting this site for awhile now but have held off on submitting my stories because of the fear I still feel in some parts of the house I used to live in, which my parents still live in.

I am a 35 year old mother of 3 great kids between the ages of 14 and 6 and have been very happily married for 12 years. I am very grounded and my interest in the paranormal began when I was just a child because of this house.

It was built in 1870 by the Matthews family. It is located in Gastonia, NC in the York Chester historical area. When we moved in I was 7 and the huge Victorian house/mansion was very intimidating to me. It is 3 stories with a full attic that runs the length of the house. If you count the attic, technically it could be considered 4 stories. My friends used to be scared of the house because at each end of the attic the windows had the Amityville (?) type of windows. I didn't understand their fear until I saw the movie at age 13. Anyhow the attic is another story.

The bottom story of the house used to house the servants quarters. In fact, when we first moved in there were still metal horse stalls and a place in the outside part of the basement where the carriage was kept. The basement consisted of this outer part which still is separated from the inside basement by two heavy metal doors that slide open and shut on a roller type metal rack from the top. This inside part of the basement consisted of a large tub and butcher shower and sink at the back door, a small root cellar type of storage place that was built into the ground, a tool room, the servant's rooms and the dreaded furnace room.

I never liked this room as there was and still is a very heavy malevolent feeling in there. It has and old type coal chute where I would guess a slave should stand in there and shovel coal in the old furnace. The chute is still there but the furnace was replaced a long time ago. It is a very small room and if I was sent to get something I felt like something was trying to suffocate me and would try to get out as fast as I could.

This room is hardly ever used or gone into except for things like Halloween decorations, lounge chairs and some tools my Dad put in there. The very last time I ever went into that room was to get the Easter baskets for my mom. I was 19 but she still liked to make us baskets.

As soon as I entered the 'presence' was there, evil and oppressing. I felt like it was bearing down on me more than ever before and found it hard to take a breath so without the baskets I ran out of the furnace room and practically leapt for the stairs in terror. As soon as I crossed the threshold of the furnace room I heard a loud BANG as my foot hit the first step I jumped at the noise and turned to see my fathers ax had come down right as I was running through the doorway!

No I did not touch it or brush it or anything. That ax had been in the same spot for over a decade without any disturbance. I ran up those stairs like evil itself was after me and have never gone into that room again. I was not the only one disturbed by the furnace room. Just about everyone who ever had the unfortunate task to have to go in there came out shaken and scared.

There were a few deaths there, but I do not know who they were except Mrs. Matthews' herself when she fell down the stairs from the top floor onto the foyer. But that is another story!

I hope this wasn't too long and will try to respond to any questions. Thanks for reading!

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from North Carolina

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Karyn, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

AugustaM (7 stories) (996 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2019-09-17)
I know this story is ten years old but... I just had to second the suggestion for additional or possibly even baseline research on the home as you say it was not constructed until 1870 - slaves, to shovel coal or anything else, were a bit tough to come by in post-Civil War America.
JPing (guest)
+2
16 years ago (2008-08-10)
Every house has an 'evil' room. I now sleep in mine, though it hasn't felt evil since I moved in and it never threw axes at me.

Great story, thanks. "The Furnace Room" - sounds like a great title for a horror movie or perhaps a Stephen King book.
Karyn (1 stories) (63 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-08-09)
Tia~ I do not live there anymore. Actually, I now live in Virginia. I moved out of that house when I was 21.

Believer1101~ Mrs. Matthews was wheelchair bound as she had polio. There was originally an old elevator in the house when it was first built to accomadate her. It went from the first floor to the second. By the time we moved in it had been removed and there was an attic fan put in on the ceiling of the first floor and in the foyer the space was just regular ceiling. She died when her chair came too close to the staircase, which winds in a curve and toppled down. At this time she was pretty elderly.
tia (1 stories) (2 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-08-09)
this story is indeed good, but I suggest that for the safety of your childern you should live somewhere else or atleast do some prayers for safety... God bless.
Believer1101 (1 stories) (5 posts)
+2
16 years ago (2008-08-09)
Wow very creepy yet great story. Maybe you should try and do a little more research on the family that built the home. Wonder how Mrs. Matthews fell down the stairs. Accident, or possible pushed? Either way it was an untimely death. Also if they kept slaves. Wonder how they were treated by the family. I am surprised that you haven't experienced several things all through the house. ~Tonya
Karyn (1 stories) (63 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-08-08)
Well I am certainly glad to answer as many questions as I can! I do have more stories about my experiences in the house. I'll try to find some time to tell about my attic experience and what I let out when I have more time! Anyhoo...

Libertybelle~ No there was not another house built there before. As a matter of fact, the Matthews were one of the very first families to build a house in what is now the, York Chester Historical Society!

ChrisB~ It took me awhile just feeling comfortable opening myself up to the things that happened to me in that house. This site has helped me greatly and has been quite theraputic.

Rhodes~ Yes there is more coming!

Again all of you who read my story, I am glad you liked it. I love this site and feel very welcome here! Til next time!
~Karyn~
libertybelle (14 stories) (207 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-08-08)
Karyn, that was one creepy encounter!

Was there a house on the site before 1870? I'm asking because I'm a history nut who lives in NC as well, and I once looked through an old house in the city where I live and can almost picture the basement you described--the house I looked at was built about 30-40 years later than the one you grew up in, and the basement had the laundry room and a couple of other rooms as well.

I wonder if an unhappy servant haunts the furnace room--not a slave, since they'd been freed by 1870, but maybe a former slave who stayed on with the family for some reason?
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-08-08)
Hello Karyn and thank you for a most interesting account. I feel there's much more coming for which I'm glad as I love old houses with a rich history.
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-08)
Wow this was a creepy story! I enjoyed it very much. I don't know why you were holding back with this story? But I'm very glad that you sharred it with us. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
Tonith (1136 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-08-08)
My house is old 1886 and quiet. Had a few happenings but only one scared me and I was sleeping at the time so that doesn't count. The other time I was wide awake and in the attic when something touched me. It tapped me 3 times on the shoulder. I wasn't scared I just thought what the heck was that? Last time it happened to me I was 17 years old. I am now 55. I am not prone to weird happenings.
FRAWIN (guest)
+1
16 years ago (2008-08-07)
Hello Karyn. I know all too well what it feels like to have to go into a room like that. Maybe your Dad did feel something too but kept quiet about it so as to not spook the rest of you any further- Dads are like that.
Thank you for sharing your story with us and I'm looking forward to your future stories. Take Care.

FRAWIN 😊
lilblackpom (13 stories) (218 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-08-07)
Hi Karyn. Your house sounds scary! Lol But then a lot of old homes built in the 1800s have so much history as yours. It actually sounds beautiful and I bet it is. Thanks for a great story and hope to hear more about your home!
Linkrules2008 (20 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-08-07)
I absolutely HATE having to go down in to scary rooms where I can tell there is evil! It is so awful. I'm glad you decided not to go back down there. Some people would think that's funny and try to get a video of it which would just make the ghost angrier.
Karyn (1 stories) (63 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-07)
I am glad you enjoyed my story about the furnace room guys!

Emma2008~Yes there is a terrible entity in that room. However, it seems to linger around the old coal chute the closer you get to the chute the more heavy the air is and great malevolence is felt.

KimSouthO~My mom did have an experience in that room early on after we moved there. We heard her scream and met her at the top of the basement stairs. She would not and still won't say what happened in there and as far as I know she never went back in.

TwistesWispersNeko~Something is definately there but after all these years why is it still there? It would put fear into anyone who went in with the exception of my Dad. I don't know why it left him alone.
I have more stories about the house I am trying to figure out which one to write next. Thanks again for reading and I'll keep responding. It felt good to get some of it out as I have repressed my fears for many, many years!
TwistedWispersNeko (3 stories) (90 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-08-07)
Good story... I hate it when I get sent some where that I don't want to go, but neither do my parents, so I was normally forced to do so, even if I had a really good excuse not to. The entity is possibly an old owner, or worker there, that is unhappy to be bound there. As much angst to actually try and get you with an axe.
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-08-07)
Thank you for taking the time to relate these experiences to us! I can't wait to hear more about the house. Whewe! To grow up in a place with such rich history attached to is, I can only imagine how intimidating that would be.

You indicated your parents still live there. Have they had experinces also? What about other siblings?

Look forward to hearing more soon!
God Bless!
Emma2008 (4 stories) (110 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-08-07)
Very good story! How lucky you are to have had the opportunity to live in a house with so much history. I think perhaps you have an entity living in that section of house and doesn't like to have visitors. Just be careful! I hope you will relate other stories to us about your childhood home. Take care.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: