You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: More Strange Things At The Museum

Real Ghost Stories

More Strange Things At The Museum

 

I have written a few stories about my work in the local museum and the strange things that happen there. Since then the activity has picked up. I have been keeping a record of the activities trying to see if there is a pattern or explanation that I hadn't noticed before. These are some of the things that really stood out for me.

I have come to believe there are at least three separate entities.

The first is in the barn. At certain times of the day if I walk past the barn I can hear voices inside of it. It sounds as though two or three men are having a conversation, but when I walk into the building to see who is there, the voices stop. Since this always happens around the same time, and it always sounds the exact same, I believe that it is something residual.

The second haunting is in the upstairs room of the cabin. This one comes mostly from feelings I've had and things others have told me. The upstairs room was where the children slept when the cabin was a family home, and today there are several little cribs there, whose former occupants have long since grown old and died. Often when I am up there alone I feel a presence in the back corner beside a crib. It feels like an old woman, a grandmother. This feeling is strongest in the morning and never moves or seems to interact with anyone, which makes me believe she is also residual, either from the cabin or attached to the crib.

My belief that she is a grandmother comes from a dream I had after working there and having this feeling for several weeks. I dreamt of an elderly woman dressed all in black, sitting by her grandchild's bed, singing it to sleep. Of course I have no way of knowing if this dream has anything to do with what's at the museum, but the feeling I had in the dream was identical to what I feel in the upstairs room of the cabin, so I feel they are connected.

The final presence is the one I believe causes all the mischief and strange things that happen. From glimpses I've seen and heard, as well as feelings I've had, I believe this ghost to be a young teenage girl (15 or 16 years old). I think she is the one behind most of what I'm going to tell.

A family came to visit the museum a while ago. One of the members was a four year old girl. While the rest of the family was looking around the kitchen of the cabin, the little girl went into the main room. She came right back out to me and, looking upset, and said "This place is spooky. There are ghosts".

Her parents told her it was just an old house and not to be afraid. She then asked me if people had died in the house. Now this is an old house, and people have almost certainly died in it, but the poor kid was young and clearly upset so I told her that there were no deaths, and then described some of the families who had lived in the cabin. By all accounts it had been a very happy family home, and that's what I told the child.

She calmed down enough that she went upstairs with her parents while her grandma stayed downstairs and talked to me. A moment later the little girl came back down and asked me if witches were bad. I was a bit confused by the random question and asked her why. The girl told me "I want to know if that witch is good or bad" She looked scared again so her grandma pointed at an old painting we have of Jesus and said "See who that is? Nothing bad is in here because He is here".

That seemed to make the child feel much better but she stuck close to her grandma until they left. That conversation struck me as odd because it was just after I had dreamt about the old woman by the crib. In my dream the old woman, dressed all in black with no teeth and lots of wrinkles, could look like a witch to a small child. I've wondered since if the little girl had seen something upstairs in the cabin to frighten her so much.

Another time a couple came to the museum, and the moment she walked into the cabin, she said to me "There are spirits here aren't there?"

I replied "Oh?" and she said "There are spirits I can feel them. Can't you?" Now I don't tell visitors about the museum seeming to be haunted (I don't want to seem crazy in front of strangers) but I told this woman that yes, some strange things happen there that I couldn't explain. She just nodded and continued on the tour.

The other day a woman came in who said she was a psychic. After looking about the museum, I asked her if she felt or saw anything (I hadn't said anything about my experiences). She proceeded to describe the different spirits she saw. They matched almost exactly to my experiences. The only difference was she said she had smelt smoke from a pipe in one of the rooms that didn't seem to come from anywhere.

About a month ago a couple bikers came to the museum. They were really interested in the history and stayed for a long time. After being there for about an hour, one of the women, when talking to me, made a joke about the appearance of someone in an old photograph.

Once she finished talking a pile of papers that were on a table flew across the room and hit the wall right behind the ladies head. It scared me and I said a few words I probably shouldn't have. The biker lady just laughed then said "I think I've offended your ghost!" She picked up the papers, put them back and then stood in the middle of the room and apologized for offending anyone.

These things spooked me out but were also a relief. Up until recently things only happened when I was alone, so having others have the same experiences made me more certain I was imagining things. Even with these events, things still seem most active when I'm alone.

A few weeks ago I was sitting in the office building, reading one of our history books, when I heard someone walk up to the door. I looked around but there was no one there so I went back to reading. I felt as though someone was in the room with me but didn't see anything. All of a sudden my left arm went icy cold. It was a very hot day and the office was about 30C but my arm was so cold it hurt.

I said out loud "Look, I'm trying to read but I can't with you on my arm like that" The cold immediately went away. Another day, as I was opening the museum, I went into a bedroom to open the curtains, when I walked back out I saw that a chair had been moved to the other side of the table in the few seconds I was in the other room without making any noise. That night, while closing up, I went into a bedroom to shut the curtains, only to find them already closed.

The latest strange thing happened only a few days ago. I was outside weeding the garden (my duties at the museum cover pretty much everything). I was at the side of the cabin when I heard a voice around the corner at the front door say "I'll see if she's there" Then footsteps came towards me.

I stood up expecting visitors, but when no one came I went to the front. There was no one there, at least no one I could see. While looking around I heard a woman's voice murmur something right beside me. It was right in my ear but I couldn't make out any words. I said out loud "I'm just pulling the weeds and I'll be done in a few minutes" I then heard footsteps run into the cabin.

It's rare for me to go into work and have absolutely nothing strange happen, and I'm becoming almost used to it. I have begun to wonder about the girl who seems to be haunting the museum. I would like to find out if she's staying for a reason or is stuck here and help if I can. I don't like the thought of a kid being trapped in this world but I haven't a clue about how to help or where to start.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Other hauntings by wanderer

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Canada

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, wanderer, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

BattleScars (3 stories) (44 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-08-11)
What is the name of this museum, certainly sounds interesting and packed with paranormal stuff! Do you still work there? If so, has anything else been new or stayed the same...?

I love your stories

-BattleScars
Llamamamma (2 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-19)
wanderer,
Sorry for being so late to comment. I'm behind in my reading. But I wanted to let you know how much I enjoy your stories about the museum & I'm a little jealous of your fascinating job! Thanks for sharing & keep 'em coming!
faerielike (15 stories) (268 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-29)
When you said the haunting mainly occurs around you, it makes me wonder if maybe sometimes maybe ghosts are more comfortable showing themselves to certain people. Maybe people aren't sensitives, but just nice people who ghosts are attracted to because of this. I enjoy your stories! Wish I could see this museum! ❀
wanderer (6 stories) (71 posts)
+2
16 years ago (2008-08-12)
Whitebuffalo, thanks for telling me about the "crone" I have never seen her (the description I gave came from several children, the one in the story, and a few who have visited since) I am finding that the more I read things on this site the more I realize how little I know about anything paranormal. What do you mean by "ALL of the elements of a full and fulfilled life"? Anyways like I have said to others, if you are truly interested in visiting, let me know and I can send you the info.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-12)
While I am extremely interested in the ghost of the young lady (Mostly as she MAY be a hundred years old, AND a female who MAY have been on the "wild side". 100 years ago there was a different set of rules we all were governed by, and for a female to have been "wild" most generally led to shunning and being ostracized. I am drawn to these types of personalities) I am most interested in "the witch".
The Old Crone is an interesting Being, and is seen in a variety of races and traditions, and often times SHOWN in regional attire. She is not often on the side of negativity (in fact, she is a TEACHER of the Old Ways in several different forms of worship) and is often in place with an onslaught of SUPPORT. How interesting that she is felt around a crib.
I am making a vast assumption here, but you have ALL of the elements of a full and fulfilled life. The Crone, The Maiden, and the infant. I think I would rather enjoy visiting this museum of yours, just to see their connections to each other.
Thank you.
wanderer (6 stories) (71 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-11)
JPing, yeah "educated guess" is probably right. As for 16 year old girls causing trouble a hundred years ago, all the reports and old papers we have tend to show the girls in my area were always pretty wild and liked causing trouble. Plus if shes attached to a display, she might be a lot more recent. Our displays cover the entire town history, from several hundred years ago, to the 1990's. But, again, its all just guessing πŸ˜‰
JPing (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-11)
So it's more of an educated guess then? Personally I don't think 'teenage girl from a hundred odd years ago' and 'mischief' fit together very well.
wanderer (6 stories) (71 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-10)
JPing, I would be very hesitant to say I had any psychic abilities because I tend to be sceptical about people who claim that. Then again I don't know much about it. Some of the belief about her age comes from what I have heard (a giggle, whispers) they sound like a young girl. In a previous story I described catching a glimpse of her. I couldn't make out features, but she seemed the size of a teen/young adult. The feelings are hard to explain. For one thing, the way things are moved about seem like the sort of teasing a younger sibling would do. Other then that I'm not sure how to explain.
JPing (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-10)
Great story, thanks.

"From glimpses I've seen and heard, as well as feelings I've had, I believe this ghost to be a young teenage girl (15 or 16 years old)..."

The ability to sense a spirit's age is a claim usually made by phychics. I'm interested in these 'feelings' you've had. Could you further describe them please? Is it possible that you do have some phychic ability?
wanderer (6 stories) (71 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-10)
ElectricTNT I'm about two hours north of the windsor/detroit border. If you email me I can send you a link to the museums website.
ElectricTNT (1 stories) (45 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-10)
Hi wanderer

I live in Niagara Falls, NY. Are you located in Ontario and if so, how far from the border are you? I'd love to see the museum.
wanderer (6 stories) (71 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-09)
Bellissima, glad you liked it. To be honest I'm hoping things calm down a bit (today was really nuts) Its hard to get my work done with my ghostly friend always playing about πŸ˜‰
Eightgateslate65, It doesn't sound strange at all, I already feel connected to the young girl. I just don't want her to feel to connected to me and get stuck here, if that makes any sort of sense.
Piro, I have no idea where her body is cause I don't know who she is. I know where all our artifacts come from, but I can't tell if she is connected to any of them since she tends to move between all three buildings.
Piro (4 stories) (19 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-09)
Do some reseach. Is her body still here? Is she looking for something, or someone? Where is she seen most? Reseach the items in that room. Is she tied To them in some way?

Email me at Piro360 [at] Gmail.com
Eightgateslate65 (1 stories) (9 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-09)
I know this sounds strange, but try befriending them. Maybe that'll help
Bellissima (12 stories) (792 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-09)
Hi wanderer. I enjoyed this story tremendously, it's so interesting. I really enjoyed reading about the customer's feelings and experiences. Thanks for sharing more of your experiences at the museum and I'm really looking forward to future stories.
wanderer (6 stories) (71 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-08)
Linkrules2008 and Jmak, those are good suggestions. Ill try them both and see what happens.
Jmak (6 stories) (156 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-08)
Hi wanderer, I have realy enjoyed your wonderful stories. Have you thought of writing a question for the girl spirit and leaving the pad and pen in hopes of getting a reply from her? If she is able to move objects then maybe she will be able to leave you a reply to your questions. Hope to hear from you soon. 😊
Linkrules2008 (20 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-08)
you are lucky to have so much experience with ghosts. 😊 Thats cool that they aren't trying to scare you or anything.

My mom always says to tell them to go toward the light. Then she won't be trapped. Next time you see her tell her that. I think it might help her. Good luck
wanderer (6 stories) (71 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-08)
ChrisB, Its not boring at all! For me, since I love history, even without the ghosts itd be a great job (Im a bit of a nerd πŸ˜•) I have thought about putting a recorder in the barn, but recently there's been a lot of construction in the area, so a lot of (living) men are always talking when I used to hear the ghosts. I'm not sure if it would be worth the effort as I can't be sure of the sound quality. Maybe Ill wait until a rainy day when no one will be about.
wanderer (6 stories) (71 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-08)
rhodes68, to be honest, I'm not sure if theyre more active when its just me around, or if I just don't notice as much when there are others with me. When there are visitors in the museum I'm usually so busy (answering questions, telling stories or selling things) that a ghost would pretty much have to come out and stand on its head in front of me before I paid any attention πŸ˜† I don't think the old woman and the girl are attached. I have no idea who they are, our files say who owned/donated the items, but they are all still among the living. I think the old woman is either attached to the cabin or a crib since she never moves. As for the young girl, I have started to think shes attached to the land, since she moves around all the buildings and property.
wanderer (6 stories) (71 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-08)
FRAWIN, yeah I do get along with them pretty well when theyre not taking my things or making me think I'm completly nuts 😜
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-08)
Hi and thank you for sharring another great story with us. I guess working in the museum isn't always as boring as others would think! I am glad that you did some ghost hunting and got some results. I would suggest trying to record the cconversation at the barn! You then might be able to make out what there are saying. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-08)
Hi wanderer and thanks for another fascinating account. It's good to have other people confirming what you've seen, heard or felt-it's reassuring to know you haven't lost it completely 😊.

I find your experiences there very interesting and I'm intrigued by the fact that the 'old residents' seem to be more active around you which comes to prove that you have been respectful enough and thus accepted by them.

Do you think the little girl might be somehow linked to the elder woman? Could it possibly be that the elder remains there because of the little girl? What do you know about the identity of those two from your files?
lilblackpom (13 stories) (218 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-07)
I see. Still a great place to work if you enjoy this and it sounds like you do. I like what Frawin said "It's good that you get along with your "co-workers". This made me laugh. Talk with you soon
πŸ˜†
FRAWIN (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-07)
Hello wanderer. It sounds as if you have a very interesting job.It's good that you get along with your "co-workers".
Thank you for sharing your story, I enjoyed it very much.
Take Care.

FRAWIN 😊
wanderer (6 stories) (71 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-07)
lilblackpom its a pretty strange history in the area isn't it? Although I believe at least some of the Donnellys are still about, and according to the stories they don't just stay at their house but move around, I don't think the spirits at the museum have anything to do with them. (man that's quite the run on sentence. My english teacher would be ashamed πŸ˜•) Of course I can't be sure about where the spirits come from, but its just what I feel.
wanderer (6 stories) (71 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-07)
KimSouth0 I'm glad you enjoyed the story. As for staying and working there, aside from the odd spook its a great job 😁 Anyways my only other choice in the area is at a fast food place so I'm not complaining (much) 😜
lilblackpom (13 stories) (218 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-07)
Wow wanderer. What a great story about this museum. All of the activity there. I don't have any suggestions in what to do as I am new to all of this but I am sure somebody here on this site will have great suggestions/comments on where to start and what to do. I feel that the "Donnellys" still are an active family aren't they? This is excellent experience for you I'm sure. I enjoy reading your stories about the Donnelly family. 😁
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-07)
I have very much enjoyed reading about your experiences at the museum.

It makes sense that a place which such rich and varrying history would have several different types of hauntings.

I comend you for being able to stay there and work. I am afraid I may have already looked for another job 😁

God Bless!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: