You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Do You Hear That?

Real Ghost Stories

Do You Hear That?

 

When I was around seven years old, in the middle of the night I was suddenly awoken by a thunderous, distinct and consistent banging noise. Difficult to describe, the sound and magnitude of reverberations could be compared to that of a basketball being bounced on the hardwood floor of a gym. Only this disturbance was coming from the level above me, where the floors were completely carpeted.

Being so young, I was terrified and buried myself under my covers and pillow, trying to wait it out. No such luck, it continued indefinitely. My room door suddenly swung open and a light peered through. It was my brother - shining his flashlight around whispering my name. "Do you hear that?", I hesitantly answered yes.

We briefly argued about going to see what it is, he said "we have to." I suggested waking up our parents, but knowing them during that time they would be furious and the consequences would not be worth it. I seriously did not want to go see what it was, I was bent on lying in bed and waiting it out, but my brother somehow convinced me to accompany him.

By now the thunderous noise must have been echoing continuously for at least five to ten minutes. Armed with a flashlight, wooden swords and I think an arrow (we practice archery and martial arts among other things, I wanted something sharp to brandish lol), we made our way through the dark, upstairs, which is a half floor, remodeled from the original attic. I mention this because its a small area that can't reflect or echo sounds like the ones we were hearing.

Nothing. The sounds stopped, we looked around for anything that could be related or even possibly make a remotely similar racket... Nothing.

Looking back on that incident 20 years ago its hard to remember details like if the sound caused anything to vibrate or rumble in the house, or at exactly what point the sound stopped. My brother and I still reminisce about it from time to time, and my parents are always baffled and in disbelief that they slept through something like that.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, TechNinja, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

TechNinja (1 stories) (14 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-11-08)
[at] Adam
You and I are not so different. Maybe not by experience but if I am understanding you properly, by our outlook and desire to understand the confusion of this life.

All of the wonderful, terrible, tragic, exhilarating, awkward, and notable instances that happen in my life are almost never warranted by my own will.
I can only describe it as being "guided by the hand of the unseen." Always on the cusp of fame, glory, importance, fortune and success I just happen to be in the right place at the right time.

This is significant because I always feel as though I'm being whispered to or "tugged" in certain directions by forces that are outside of myself. Whether it be standing in a place where others have stood; being led to somewhere I need to be, without knowing it; conceiving and testing and proving theories that I have no former knowledge of; playing games, meeting people, going places I've never been before in dreams that later become real. I've even lived entire lifetimes in dreams where every emotion, every person, every relationship, action and thought was just as significant, real and belonging to me as this life's.

I often find myself thinking am I mad? Is this possible? Is it all my imagination?

I don't know. But I do know that it is all far from coincidence.
Apologies for the rant. Trying to understand these things can be maddening.

- Tino
butthead (guest)
 
13 years ago (2010-11-08)
perhaps it could be my fear of heights which gives me that thought too... Self assuring response appreciated lol;)

Adam.
butthead (guest)
 
13 years ago (2010-11-08)
these themes? Sorry if I don't understand that... I mean, your story describes only one detail that I can see, the event itself, and when you say themes you mean that other occurances have happened in your life over the years?

Actualy, well I have not been out of bed to long lol, but I will assume you mean the themes of how you conquer your fears?

In a way what you said I can relate too, when younger I would climb anything, climb tree's that if I would fall from I would be lucky not to either break bones or kill myself in the process. Yet I have always been scared of heights myself.
Now I am older and not such a thrill seaker, I will only attempt to reach such heights if the view is worth it. Hehe.

I have often wondered if I'm 100% sane or am a few % below, because while its not often and its not something regular, I often when am at a height looking over a sheer drop, find myself thinking that I could take one more step... And that I would be dead. A feeling that I have easy control over ending my life at that very moment, like standing at a bridge over a moterway. I Would stare down sometimes and simply start to think that if I wanted to I could end everything I know, right now.
It's not a feeling that I get because I want to do it, it's just something that has made me question my sanity because its a feeling I have got many times.

Although while writing this, I do now wonder ever so slightly that I could be picking up on thoughts of someone who has been where I was standing, who maybe thoguht the exact same thing while contemplating suicide or something... Only actually gone through with it. I know I'm sensative... I just don't know how much.
I dunno, I don't think I need medical help, it could simply be that the feeling of having such self control over life or death (my own) by the actions of 1 or 2 footsteps, or a simple jump, that the power of that control overwhelms my curiosity.

Hmm... Lol.
Dont know how I got to start thinking of that, I have never spoken of it before, but its something that I often do in places where 1 could so easily end their own life... And that quite possibly a few already have.

Thanks for reply, tc.
TechNinja (1 stories) (14 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2010-11-07)
[at] DCinAZ
Lol I didn't want to be brave at that point, but my brother talked me into it.

These days I have fears, but they don't stop me from doing anything. For example I am pretty scared of heights, but I still jump from cliffs, climb rickety towers of doom, scale buildings and make my way to the top of redwood trees.

I often find myself alone, so when I hear noises and creepy things I make it a point to look through the area I'm in, for safety reasons mostly (be sure no one physical is there), but I think to a degree to satisfy my curiosity and its another step toward completely conquering all of my fears.

[at] butthead
I've been meaning to see a psychic about my house, and my personal matters. The thing is, this is never a high priority for me or my family and it always gets drowned out by more pressing life matters. I'm not so sure that these recurring themes aren't related, if you catch my drift.
butthead (guest)
 
13 years ago (2010-11-06)
you could consider getting a reading by a credited medium if you want to find out if this is someone who you knew.

But I think you are probably right when you say a passer byer or someone who visits, or someone who is there but usualy doesn't make a sound.

I'm still not sure about those that give readings, I had one given to me 3 days ago and many things she said made sense and 2 or 3 made me a lil shocked that she could say what she said.

But still... It's upto you.

Will keep an eye out for the others;)
(stories)

Tc:)

Doesnt sound too threatening though.
DCinAZ (guest)
 
13 years ago (2010-11-06)
Flashlight, wooden swords and an arrow? My goodness, were we ever really that brave? Good story, childhood defenses always brings it all home. 😊
TechNinja (1 stories) (14 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-11-06)
[at] butthead

Thanks for reading.:3
No, there's nothing up there that in any case could make any sort of similar sounding noise, let alone to that degree or frequency. The room or area, is a small loft sort of area that is completely carpeted.
Unless you can dribble a TV like a basketball on a carpet and make it echo for 10 minutes.

I think I'm visited occasionally by passer-byers, sometimes the same ones but not often.

More stories about my encounters to come.:>
butthead (guest)
 
13 years ago (2010-11-05)
someone/thing wanting attention maybe...
At a guess.

There are no machinary of any kind that could operate in the hours in the area above your room? I know it may be a silly question and you may have removed the possibility of anything like that but, well... If not then... Someone wanted you to know they were there.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: