You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: Haunted Doorbell

Real Ghost Stories

Haunted Doorbell

 

Hey, my name is Humphrey, I just turned 31 on January 28th, and well, my house began to experience a nightly occurrence.

Every night at 2am. My doorbell will ring. It rings three times, and the thing is that the ring isn't how my doorbell normally rings. Mine is the average two notes, but this sounds more like the chime of my grandpas' old clock, with the last note descending an octave.

When I answer the door no one is there, everything is the same except for the faint sound of a child laughing. I check the entire yard for kids but there is no one around. And the laughter continues with the same tone until 2:30 on the dot. The sound doesn't sound like you are getting closer or further as you move.

I bring this up because my wife doesn't hear it. When it happened the first time, I asked about it and she was confused about why I had gotten up.

I had her stay up with me and I asked her if she could hear it, I rushed to the door with the same results as the night before. So I invited my good friends Chad and Omar over. And they thought I was messing with them but they heard nothing and still helped me with my search.

I have no idea what is going on, there has been nothing other than the nightly routine of three rings, and laughter for a half hour.

The only thing to indicate any haunting was that thirty years ago at 2am on the eve of my birthday. A man had killed a child who ding-dong had ditched him.

I'm scared and I need advice, I will not hire anyone to do an exorcism.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Idaho

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Zertz7, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

ArmchairPsychologist (1 stories) (7 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-03-11)
Hi,

I'd like to raise a few points about what is a rather curious story.

First, I want to tackle this notion that there's some malevolent phantom who's out to get you. There's absolutely no logical or substantive evidence to suggest that there's any such thing as a demon or spirit at all, never mind one in your case. I recommend that you ignore the claims that you're the victim of some malicious spirit as these can very easily make you paranoid and insecure about your security based on sheer unverified surmise. The act of pointing to a vindictive spirit without concrete proof as an explanation for something that doesn't make sense is at best misguided and at worst downright dangerous. I just wanted to say that first because it's a very bad thing to worry and be scared about something which very probably doesn't exist in light of the lack of the evidence to the contrary.

The second thing I'd like to say is that there is possibly a reasonable explanation for the doorbell. Maybe there isn't, maybe there isn't, so I won't make that assumption. Maybe there is a flaw in the doorbell that causes it to function irregularly? I don't know whether your doorbell is electronic or not. If it isn't, maybe you could open it up (if possible) and test it. The tune might simply consist of harmonic notes and normalise to the fundamental note for the third note. Ringing periodically (every 24 hours) might be due to air pressure inside the doorbell. It's possible that every single one of these suggestions is wrong, but they're far from scientifically impossible. As for the laughing, the human mind is very open to suggestion, if you're the only one hearing it, might it be that your mind is inventing a detail to rationalise the mysterious ringing? If there's absolutely no solid explanation after looking at these possibilities, maybe there is a ghost involved.

Finally, I have to ask where you learned about the man murdering the child, because we can't assume that the source is reliable. It's not outside the bounds of credibility that a child might ring someone's doorbell as a prank at 2 o'clock in the morning, the idea that the occupant of the house murdered the child in a fit of rage is a little far-fetched. If you can verify this source, it's a very suggestive correlation, even if we can't rely on that alone to prove the hypothesis.

I hope this unexplained happening doesn't cause you any trauma, because it seems quite harmless to me; I can't think of any tangible damages that could be done. Best of luck in finding an explanation and I hope this doesn't give you any trouble.

ArmchairPsychologist
Walter_R (1 stories) (81 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-03-09)
I sleep with ear plugs in my ears so I'm not hearing anything at night. It's an old habbit I got from the days when I was sleeping on an old ship and people would walk up and down the halls all day and night time too.

I think you have a demon bothing you at night is what I think is going on, lots of times demons will use children's voices and laugher. I would put a cross on your front door and pray a lot.

Take care,

Walter

Take care,

Walter
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-02-18)
I can think of a few things you might want to try. It's just some suggestions that may or mat not pan out.
1) We had installed a wireless doorbell, purchased at the local hardware store. After a couple of months it started going off for no reason at all, late at night, dinner time, etc. Drove me nuts! I was about to just toss the thing and take my losses when one afternoon I was out front and a UPS truck pulled up across the street. The driver goes up and rings their bell and MINE rang instead. So I hollered over that their bell was on the fritz and he should try knocking instead. After he's gone I go over and ring their bell as my daughter listens, and it happens again! Anyway, long story short, same brand and model, changed the code from inside the bell housing, TA-DA! No more phantom doorbell.
2) This one was weird as all get out. In our hallway sits our guest bath, at some point I started to notice these strange chime sounds. This only happened when I was physically "seated" (if you catch my drift). It was faint, almost distant sounding. I wanted to see if my husband, daughter, anyone could hear that sound, nothing. They started having fun and giving me grief about these chimes that only I could hear.
Looking through the City Gov. Section of my phonebook one day, I come across the number for the "Noise Abatement Program", and I give them a call. They didn't think I was imagining it, at least they never made me feel that they did, they took my information, said they'd check it out, and we hung up. Two days later the noise stopped. I haven't heard it since.
I never did find out the origin, they said they couldn't give out that information for privacy reasons. But it stopped, and never come back.
I still wonder what it was that made that sound though. 😕
scrapmetalkitten (306 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-02-18)
try putting a voice recorder on the porch next to the door bell and see what happens. You could put it out there an hour before it usually occurs, and hopefully you might catch something on it.
Arc-en-Ciel (31 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-02-18)
Well, don't worry you probably won't need an exorcism on that one, but please pay attention to what JimD said.
Your story sounds like a residual haunting but since you're the only one hearing the bell and the laugh it would be pretty uncommon if it's a residual phenomena.

Please, would you tell us how did you find out about the murder?
Also, I would like you to know it is known that some malevolent entities, often child-like (or teen), are trying to get their prey outside of their house by making their door-bell ring. You can look for further information easily on the internet.
Anyway, if it compells you to open your door and why not look outside to investigate where the laugh is coming from, it might not be good. Anything that is trying to get you out of your Home is dangerous. So please be careful and stay at home.
And one last thing - it's not because you are the only one to hear it that it doesn't exist. Keep it in mind, don't let this thing make you believe you're insane.

Take care
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-02-17)
Zertz7: Well you mentioned that a man had killed a child from what I presume had "Ding Dong" ditched him, geez that's pretty harsh. So it kind of makes sense that this is what your experiencing. It may be that you are more spiritually open minded then your wife and friends so only you can perceive these events. This child should not still be earthbound, and needs to move on to the next stage, there are some helpfull hints on how you can try help him/her on this website if this is the path you choose to go down.

Thanks for sharing.

Dan
JimD (431 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-02-17)
Hi;

I'm sorry this has happened to you. The details are classic demonic harassment. Normally, they target one person, whom we call the focal person, for their psychic / spiritual assaults. The goal is to make the person feel they may be unstable, i.e. To isolate and contain him / her.

Three is the calling card of the Devil, because it mocks / inverts the Holy Trinity. The demonic hours of highest activity are from 9:00 PM - 6:00 AM.

My standard counsel is: Catholic Holy water, especially at night and on the bed, and use of the names "Jesus and Mary help me". If Catholic, receipt of the Sacraments, especially Confession, helps a lot. Please hang in there, and email me if you like. God bless you. Dukes2352atAOL.com.
lynrinth (guest)
 
13 years ago (2011-02-17)
Why won't you do an exorcism? Not saying you need one, but if it continues, and escalates... Who knows? It's been documented that sometimes spirits will appear to one individual, and his friend who maybe standing next to him, will not appear to him. It can go for certain hauntings, too. Maybe this particular spirit knows of you. Doorbell ringing very morning at 2 a.m., a child's consistent laughter for a half hour, I don't know. It doesn't sound like innocent haunting to me. Not saying anything bad is going to happen, but I would watch and see what happens. Hopeful other people will have more helpful insights.
Moongrim (2 stories) (871 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-02-17)
"A man had killed a child who ding-dong had ditched him."

I'm afraid that I don't follow that sentence. What exactly are you saying here?

Who ding-dong had ditched him? Could you please clean that up?
taz890 (12 stories) (1380 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-02-17)
hi zertz7
It sounds like you have a very playful spirit there have you tried to talk to him? It might help if you do and as your the only one who hears him it might have to be you that askes him to stop.
Its worth a shot and as you said your friends think your messing with them so chatting to yourself won't look too bad.
Please keep us up to date on this
Great post

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: