You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Doorbell With No Source

Real Ghost Stories

Doorbell With No Source

 

One morning I was up early to see my husband off to work, as was my habit back when we were newlyweds. We lived in a lovely secluded beach house in the scrub with vaulted ceilings and huge glass walls. We had no neighbours most of the time, as the area was heavily weighted towards holiday homes, and his children were not with us during the week. So it was just the two of us.

It was hardly light out as he left for work at 5.30am, but I kissed him goodbye at the back door and he headed to the garage and left for the day. Then I walked back into the house, closed the door behind me, and went to get a drink from the fridge to take back to bed. It was then that the very distinctive sound of an electric doorbell, playing the Big Ben chime, resonated through the house.

"Ding dong ding dong, ding dong ding dong..."

It was way too early for a visitor but I still looked across the room towards the front door. Which was a bit daft because we didn't actually have a doorbell.

Yes, the noise was absolutely in the room, not coming from outside.

No, I couldn't find a single thing in the house with the capacity to make that noise. And I really did search, through the kids stuff and everything (they were all early teens anyway, not prone to musical toys any longer).

On another occasion, in the same house, my husband and I were standing on the back patio laughing about something, about to go inside for the night, when there was a bright blue-white flash inside the house. Almost exactly like a flash bulb had gone off. We both looked at each other like 'what the?' and went inside to investigate, but found no cause. No smell of burning, no potential flash point, no errant camera suddenly finding its final micrometer of battery power.

Not scary, either one, but curious.

Other hauntings by expathistorical

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Australia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, expathistorical, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

priya- (1 stories) (19 posts)
 
5 years ago (2019-04-05)
Hi expathistorical, how was you feeling during those events - scared or normal or very peaceful?
In case of blue-white light, it sounds as some heavenly entity visit; Or could it be aliens; I wonder 😊
Sleeping-with-steve (guest)
 
5 years ago (2019-04-01)
Hello Martin and Mods,

It's hilarious that you have replaced some words with 'clown' in a few threads.

In stitches laughing.

Miandra
🙌 😂 🙌
Cuddlebear (4 stories) (173 posts)
 
5 years ago (2019-04-01)
Expathistorical ~

I can't offer much of anything useful on your doorbell sound save that the human ear is not really well designed to aid with direction finding.

On your flash of light, sounds to me like the dying gasp of an incandescent bulb.
Manafon1 (6 stories) (712 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2019-03-31)
Hi expathistorical--I enjoyed reading your account. Phantom doorbell ringing is a very commonly reported paranormal phenomenon and is often believed to be a spirit making contact. Other phantom sounds like a phone ringing, fire alarm and, as I have experienced, a ticking clock have also been reported.

The sound of a doorbell ringing can also be a hypnogogic hallucination. People just drifting off to sleep or waking up often report hearing phantom sounds like doorbells, snippets of music and even voices calling their name. As you were awake and about it seems likely that you had a brief visit from a spirit. The flash of light you later witnessed is something I've seen before myself. In my case I believe it was my deceased parents paying me a visit.

Thanks for sharing your experiences
Griff84 (5 stories) (289 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2019-03-28)
Hi expathistorical, I always find smaller, random event fascinating.

I was wondering how long the phantom doorbell sound lasted for and how did it end? Was it just as random as it started, or did it fade out? Also, did the volume of sound change as you looked for a source?

With the bright flash of light, did it seem to come from a certain area or did the whole house seem to light up? Was there any noise either? I appreciate you were outside and it was only a split second flash which you were not expecting.

Thanks for posting

Griff 😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: