You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Ouija Board / Seances :: Don't Insult Frank

Real Ghost Stories

Don't Insult Frank

 

I have always been an extremely paranoid girl even before I was diagnosed with anxiety. I know what my friends and I did was stupid, but thankfully, nothing too bad came from it. That being said, let's move on to the story.

This happened a while ago, not too long that I don't remember, but long enough that the details are, admittedly, hazy. I was in the eighth grade (currently a junior in high school) when my friend Lexy invited myself and our other friend, Vivian, over for a sleepover at her house. To be honest, I didn't much like going to her house. Lexy was an exaggerator. She made the simple act of a TV picture lingering after it is turned off sound like a demon from Hell having a rave on her roof. But I digress. Anyway, she had told me of a few little happenings that had gone on in her house. The one I remember most was about her mother having a handful of potpourri thrown in her face by an invisible hand nothing else too incredible.

Lexy's house was rather small. A large, central living room sort of melded into a kitchen/dining room with no real separation. To the right of the kitchen was a small hallway with doors to a guest room, a bathroom, and Lexy's own bedroom. On the other side of the living room was the door to her mother's room. Back to the story.

Our sleepover went pretty normally. We exchanged stories, got pizza, typical teenage girl things. Until Lexy was stricken by a brilliant thought:

"Guys, I have a Ouija board."

As soon as she mentioned it, my stomach was in knots.

"No. Lexy, I don't want to" "

It sounds awesome!"

Vivian cut me off, and I realized I really had no say in the matter.

Lexy pulled the board from her closet (I really don't remember details of what it looked like). She set it up on her bed, and ordered us to gather around it. I stubbornly planted myself in the hallway next to the bathroom.

"Courtney," Lexy called, "If you stay out there while we do this, the ghost will kill you." I was on her bed, huddled close to the board in seconds. Curse my raving paranoia.

Lexy's room lacked a main light, and was usually illuminated by a standing lamp. This was turned off, and the only light we received came from the hall light, which shed a sliver of glow through the crack in the door and only brightened a small corner of her room.

Lexy instructed Vivian and I to place our hands on the pointer. After a few moments of silence, I asked, "What are we even supposed to do?" Vivian shared a hesitant look with me. "Ask it questions?" "This is dumb." "Ask it a question!"

Taking the opportunity to lead, Lexy loudly called, "Hello, Is anyone here, Can we talk?"

Almost instantly, the pointer began to move. Vivian looked astonished, Lexy smug, and I was staring at Lexy suspiciously.

"You're moving it." I hissed.

Lexy narrowed her eyes. "I am not."

Knowing arguing would get me nowhere; I resigned myself to silent doubt.

"What's your name?" Vivian asked, her voice a trill of excitement.

F-R-A-N-K

I wrinkled my nose. "Frank. Wow."

Lexy giggled. "Frank is the worst ghost name ever."

Vivian's eyes grew wide in horror. "Shush-shush-shush! Don't piss it off."

"Well its true Frank is a dumb name! I'm not scared of Frank~." Lexy howled smugly.

I rolled my eyes. "We're all going to die."

For only ten minutes, we asked 'Frank' questions. I don't really remember any of them, but I know they were shifty and vague, and it was increasingly obvious one of us was faking the entire thing. At some point, the pointer stopped moving entirely, and we put the board away and gave up.

For the entire next morning, Lexy seemed to beg for something to happen. Every action she took, she found a way to make it ridicule Frank. I had given up on being scared and just watched her boringly. And really, nothing did happen. Until about three days later.

Lexy didn't attend school that day. Around eight at night, I got a call from her cell.

"Courtney," she began quietly. I detected a mix of excitement and worry in her voice. "Frank got mad."

"What did you do?"

"I didn't do anything! I was helping my mom in the kitchen, and all of a sudden, a wine bottle flew off the shelf and broke and cut my toe! I just got stitches."

I frowned. "Are you sure it didn't just fall?"

"No way! It was on the shelf near the living room!"

To this day, I'm really not sure if she was lying or not. Aside from the wine bottle attack, nothing much else happened in her house. But I thought it just might be worth mentioning.

(Also, because of my raving paranoia, I'm now constantly glancing over my shoulder. Thanks, Lexy. And 'Frank'.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Florida

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, PinkaminaDiannePie, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Moongrim (2 stories) (871 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-14)
That "Lexy" ability to exagerate, is something I've noticed happens quite a bit, if many of the 'true' stories here on YGS are any indication.
klpvolleyball4 (4 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-12)
It sounds like lexy exagerates alot! Good story though! 😁
Argette (guest)
+1
12 years ago (2011-11-11)
First off, I think you have some writing talent here and I hope you will continue to nurture it.

Secondly, it sounds like Lexi's a bit toxic.

You might want to reconsider that friendship.
reptilian (45 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-11)
I agree with just about everyone. Lexy was obviously not being entirely truthful.
If this "Frank" was going to throw something in the kitchen why would he throw a bottle? Why not throw a knife? And why not throw it at the throat instead of the foot? Perhaps that seems a extreme to most of you, but if it was really angry it would at the very least do something a bit more dramatic so that there would be no doubt. Why not smash a bunch of windows or punch a hole in the wall? Throw the tv across the room?
It is a very girlish idea of a prank, throwing a bottle on the floor.
Ferrarigirl (2 stories) (3 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2011-11-11)
That's tough to decide if your friend is telling the truth or not. I've had a ghost open and slam a door in my presence, so I don't doubt that one could throw a wine bottle at someone, however, your friend does seem to thrive off of stories, maybe you should only believe what you experience. I don't mean to doubt what you or your friend says, but it could be your friend just likes the attention or maybe she has a mental illness, I'm not sure [or it could all be true].
Stay safe and thanks for sharing. 😊

BTW you're a really good writer, you should write some books, I'm sure a lot of people would enjoy them.
BlueTurtle (3 stories) (176 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-11)
Miracles - that's fine, and I actually tend to walk around my apartment barefoot more than with shoes on; I actually prefer it. I just thought there's more of a risk of things falling in the kitchen; food, knives or forks accidentally slipping out of grip, that you could step on or in.
Maybe part of that is my upbringing too. My father would always yell at me if I didn't have something on my feet at all times, especially in the kitchen.
lynrinth (guest)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-11)
I absolutely love how you write! 'I stubbornly planted myself in the hallway next to the bathroom. "Courtney," Lexy called, "If you stay out there while we do this, the ghost will kill you." I was on her bed, huddled close to the board in seconds. Curse my raving paranoia.' Love it!
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+4
12 years ago (2011-11-11)
BlueTurtle - my comment has nothing to do with the story, just your question about Lexy walking barefoot in the kitchen.

I always walk barefoot in my kitchen. The only time I have shoes on is when I'm either coming in or leaving. Other than that, I never have shoes on. Neither do my kids. Our kitchen is in the center of our home, so I would say 95% of the time none of us have shoes on. It might be more normal than you know for people to be barefoot in the kitchen.
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2011-11-11)
I believe you are right to think Lexy is exaggerating what happened with the wine bottle. Maybe you can try a little investigating of Lexy's story. Next time you see her mom and preferably when Lexy is not around, bring up the wine bottle and see if you can get the real story. 😉 I can understand your paranoia. Ouija boards can be pretty scary, and lots of people have had real problems after using them. I understand being young and goofing off everyone has done it, but when it comes to the paranormal it could get serious. Lexy just needs to be a little bit more careful with these types of things. Thanks for sharing your story with us, and take care. 😊
Nysa (4 stories) (685 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2011-11-11)
Considering she was a known exaggerator & clearly liked attention I am surprised you ever considered believing her.
bluefoxx01 (81 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-11)
Sounds like she deserved it, damned Lexy being so immature like that, what was she thinking?
BlueTurtle (3 stories) (176 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2011-11-11)
My gut seems to tell me that it's possible Lexy's enthusiasm for the paranormal encouraged her to think that the wine bottle flew off the counter. For all you know, she could have cut her foot accidentally. But what was she doing walking barefoot in the kitchen for? It's hard to say since you weren't there, but my skepticism is taking over.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: