You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: A Yorkshire Haunting In London

Real Ghost Stories

A Yorkshire Haunting In London

 

This is my first story and is the only encounter I have had with what I believe to be a paranormal experience. Everything I have written on here is true and I hope that you enjoy my story and can gain some knowledge and help me in explaining what I had experienced. This is a long story and I hope you can read it all. Thank you.

My story starts about a year ago. I was 19 at the time so I'm obviously 20years of age now. Me and my family were invited to my mother's aunty's 55th birthday including my aunties, uncles, cousins, grandma and grandad basically all of my mother's side of the family. My mother is originally from Yorkshire England but she had moved down south with her mother and father long before I was born. I didn't know any of my family that lived in Yorkshire but like I said we were invited to my mums aunty's 55th. When we arrived we were all put in a hotel, an old looking hotel, well the whole village looked old and at the time was covered in fog. It was a real typical ghost movie looking village. I could imagine a sort of silent hill movie being shot there for parts. Anyway so we all got settled in and went to my mother's aunt's house, it was huge, beautiful looking and old with a thatched roof and timber beams through the whole house and a view to die for. It looked over hills small and very large with more fog covering it and a beautiful stream close by. So we all enjoyed the day and the casino like party we had at the hotel with roulette tables, poker tables and the rest, nothing 'paranormal' had happened throughout the day or the night while the party was going on that's for when me and my brother went to bed.

It was late, maybe about 2am and I was drifting into a sleep but hadn't quite got there. My brother at this point was fast asleep. I then woke with a sudden and no explanation but then heard from outside of the room in the corridor footsteps but as if they were running. Light footsteps, it went right by my door but then again right behind this first set of footsteps I heard more, they seemed to be heavier and they also went right past my door as if someone was chasing another person. About 5 minutes later the room began to get cold, in my mind too cold like someone had turned on the air-con but in these rooms they only had heaters. It was just after winter so it was cold outside so I thought maybe it's just because of the weather so I got out of bed and walked to the heater, I then touched it and found it was already on and with some heat, it actually stung my fingers when I touched it so it was definitely on but then a small erratic knock began to be heard from my door. This frightened me just because it was unexpected and especially at this time. So I opened the door but no one was there "that's a little strange" I thought to myself but obviously then thought oh it must be one of my cousins trying to pester us. I then got back into bed and felt so much warmer but this was even before I had put the covers back over my body. I felt so much more comfortable as if maybe I was being held, I felt sort of safe as strange as it sounds but then I heard the heavier footsteps come down the hallways once again but this time not like it was running like it was just walking towards my room. (At this point the warmth had suddenly left me) Thinking it must be one of my cousins coming back to knock on my door again, I jumped out of bed and stood ready to open my door. One large knock hit my door and I swung it open but nothing, no one was there. I looked down the corridor and no one was there and there was nowhere for someone to hide. My cousin's rooms were all down at the end of the corridor and then to the right down another. I actually thought to myself maybe I was tired and was just hearing things, I must be surely.

I sat on my bed looked over to my brother, he was lying there and then just suddenly woke up and looked at me and said "why are you just sitting on your bed" I replied "I just thought I heard something" he then said "have you ever had a dream where your drowning and you can't breathe but then you wake because of it but you aren't actually breathing in real life when you wake" I just said no to him but then the room felt like it shifted and suddenly went cold again but was more like an icy piecing breeze that kept brushing up against me, my brother also noticed this but then he just curled up and went back to sleep. I tried to sleep but I felt strange as if someone was watching me and as if I was maybe in danger. I strangely began to feel guilty about something but didn't know what. I couldn't really sleep anymore so decided to go down to one of my cousins' rooms and knocked. They didn't answer so I just thought to myself "they must have been the ones that were knocking earlier because they are not answering, so I knocked again and one of my cousins answered. He looked as if he had definitely been asleep, the room had no lights on and everyone else was asleep so I thought to myself "they mustn't have done it, besides I saw no one running away from the room" I had a chat with him and told him about what had happened and soon after decided to go back to my room.

I returned and got back into bed. It wasn't cold anymore; it just felt like normal room temperature. I lay waiting to fall back to sleep but with my brain thinking about so many different things I just felt as if I couldn't but then it felt like something had clutched me, like someone was holding me tight in a sort of 'spooning' position but not too much like as if there was someone actually there if you understand what I mean. I almost instantly felt safe once again and everything just felt as if went away and I had no problems. The room went warmer and it felt like the sun's rays were beaming down upon my back. I shortly fell asleep and not one more thing had happened that night.

The following morning we all went back to my mother's aunty's house and all had a nice day. My cousin approached me and told me about how after I had knocked at his room the previous night he wasn't able to sleep. He began to tell me that his room too began to get cold and like there was a breeze that kept passing him. He explained that throughout the night he felt uneasy as if someone was watching him and whenever he would start to drop off to sleep he kept on being woken by faint noises. We kept on chatting about it and how I felt and all the things I have talked about in my story; however my story doesn't end here.

When I got back home it was late so we all just went straight to bed. I got into bed not thinking much of what happened the previous night and felt once again so peaceful and safe. I curled up and fell right to sleep. I woke up the following morning and sort of remembered someone stroking me and running their fingers through my hair but of course I thought this was a dream.

It was most probably about 8pm and I was alone in the kitchen with all my family in the front room watching TV. I can't remember exactly what I was making, I think it was cheese on toast under the grill, when I felt someone was standing right behind me so I turned around and faintly saw what looked like a woman. Maybe in her 20s I can't pin point how old, she just looked attractive and young. This is one of the most frightening moments of my life because I was so sure she was there but she had gone and I instantly thought ghost. I have been through quite a few frightening things in my life but this is high in my list because I'm so sure I had witnessed a spirit.

I ran into the front room and told everyone but they all seemed disinterested and that maybe I was just lying. I felt sort of scared to go back in so I peeped round the corner but there was nothing. I finished making my snack and sat back in the front room feeling obviously strange and confused. "Had I really just witnessed the paranormal?" I thought to myself. At this point I started to link things together, what had happened at the old hotel and thought deep into it. I thought maybe it was the spirit of a young woman being chased by someone and that maybe they had entered my room on that night in the hotel and that maybe the spirit with the heavy footsteps entered my cousins room when I did and maybe when I felt warm she was there comforting me? Maybe she had followed me home and now rests here?

Again not the end just one last thing that was significant happened.

It must have been about three days later from when I saw her. In the middle of the night I woke needing the toilet, while sitting on it I left the door open because we keep the landing light on and so I could see. (I didn't want to put the bathroom light on because we have an extractor fan that is quite loud and I didn't want to wake anyone) Everyone at this point was asleep; I know this because I was the last person to go to bed. I was looking out through the door when suddenly as clear as day I saw an all-black figure, everything was black on it nothing was in colour but it was under the landing light so there is no way it was like this because of lack of light. It had walked straight past the bathroom toward my bedroom and my mother's room. So I quickly finished and rushed out thinking maybe someone has broken in but still in the back of my mind thinking all black with no features on any part of its body. I opened my mum's bedroom door and both my mum and dad were fast asleep. I looked round there bedroom and then opened there wardrobe to make sure the figure hadn't tried to hide but nothing. At this point my mum woke up and asked what I was doing. I told her and she quickly woke my father up. I then went to my room to check but also nothing. Me and my father then checked everywhere else but again nothing. I was freaked out and we all got back into bed.

I don't know how long after but I suddenly woke up again and with my bedroom door open I saw the figure again. I was defiantly human shaped but with no features, not one it was completely black, I rubbed my eyes and still saw it. I don't know why I did what I did to this day but I decided to put the blanket over my head (very child like I know) and closed my eyes. About 5-10 seconds later I'm not too sure, I lifter the blanket from my face and the presence had gone.

Who could this have been? I don't know. Maybe the other spirit from before following me too? To this day small events like this happen around my house. My family see more of the black featureless entity that the other. Only I have seen the other female spirit to this date and have only ever seen her a few times but not as clearly as the time in the kitchen. I feel the presence more than I see it and it feels like it gives me a lot of comfort in ways I have explained in my story.

I can only apologise for the length of my story but feel I needed to tell you most of the details. I have only ever told this to my brother but I feel I needed to share it with others that may have experienced some of the same things. I thank you for reading it all and hope that you believe me. I will also try to keep you all posted on whether anything that connects with this story for instant I'm going to try to find out the name of the hotel and try to find out if anything had happened there previous my stay. Thanks once again.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, ArtfulTodger, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

MamaKat21 (2 posts)
 
9 years ago (2014-11-02)
I clicked on this story because of the fact that my mom's side of my family comes from the Yorkshire area... So anything relating to that interests me. Did you ever find out any more information about the hotel and area? Great story and completely fascinating that you had more experiences once you were back home!
TruthInDarkness (4 stories) (259 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-12-05)
Interesting story. Thanks for sharing. The villages in England sound so quaint and inviting. I hope to visit them some day.
taz890 (12 stories) (1380 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-15)
interesting story artfultodger looking forward to finding out where this happened.
I can't help but think that the stay in the hotel has opened you up to the paranormal and now things that might have been around you before now know that you are more open to their pressence and there for you are more likely to see them, and you bringing their presence to your family the same thing is happening there too.
Just my thoughts though!
Now you say in your comment that other things have happened but you don't feel that they are worth mentioning on here, please do tell us what has happened. 2 reasons~ 1 that is what the sight is about no matter how small the incident people will be interested (know I am) 2 even though you think they are not worth mentioning they might help shed some light on what is happening and who it could be, the dark figure, the young girl.
Anyway thanks for adding this enjoyed reading and hope you find the hotel information soon 😊
Carl
P.s interesting name choice too! 😆
ArtfulTodger (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-15)
[at] moongrim this comment really made me laugh. It was more the fact that it was there. I have never seen a 'ghost' before and it was unexpected. It was right behind me without any warning. Just think if you turned around and someone who you know shouldn't be there was just standing there, it doesn't matter what gender, age or what they looked like it was because they shouldn't be there in a logical world...
Moongrim (2 stories) (871 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2011-11-15)
So you're frightened by a young and attractive girl who appears?

Son, I've got some bad news for ya...
ArtfulTodger (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-15)
[at] 123kery & rath9375
I will try to look into this as soon as I can. I'm pretty busy at the moment but will try in the next few days. I also need to ask my mum what's the name of the village and other things alike.
ArtfulTodger (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-15)
[at] cholulteca
A few things happen but only small things such as my family and I seeing the dark apparition and me seeing the female presence but never like the first time. It's more like from the corner of my eye and such things like that. I have had a few other things but I feel it's not worth mentioning, especially when comparing it to others people's stories and my first one. Thanks for reading too. 😊
rath9375 (1 stories) (52 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-15)
As 123kerry, I am interested in the history of the hotel and if any other guests have reported hearing the same footsteps and knocking of the door.
Cholulteca (148 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-15)
Yes, well, you say that happened a year ago, I assume nothing else has happened since?:)

Regards,
Claudia 😊
123kerry (2 stories) (7 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-15)
A very interesting story. It would def be interesting to find out the history of the hotel you stayed at. Keep us informed!
Kerry 😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: