You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Princes In The Tower Of London

Real Ghost Stories

The Princes In The Tower Of London

 

Around 8 years ago, in 2010, my family and I went on a trip to Europe. I was about 8 at the time, but nonetheless excited to visit different attractions.

I have always been somewhat interested in spooky/macabre areas, despite not thoroughly believing in ghosts or the occult. I used to be an extremely strong skeptic in anything involving ghosts, but this experience changed my mind.

Anyways, we were visiting the Tower of London. It was summertime, and was a bright, clear day. We had been walking around the Tower for a while, and finally made our way to the White Tower. I was trailing a few feet behind my mother, looking around and generally observing the interesting scenery.

Then, suddenly, I heard a small boy's voice whisper softly.

"We just wanted to live," it spoke, voice laden with a melancholy tone.

I was confused at first. Looking around the area, I was virtually the only child around- and there wasn't anyone close enough to me to be able to whisper in my ear like that.

I heard the voice again.

"We were so young. Why did we have to die?"

I was spooked for a second, but being in a well-lit, populated area calmed my nerves. I immediately thought that this was some sort of stunt set up by the workers at the Tower, as we had just passed some informational signs about the murder of the princes.

In order to prove my hypothesis, I looked around the area, searching for any speakers that could have made the noise. None were visible to me, but I was aware that speakers could be small or hidden.

So, I waited around for a few more minutes, wanting to see if the noise would play again. Nothing happened. I even walked in and out of the area I had heard it in, seeing if it was perhaps motion sensor. Still nothing.

Eventually, my family walked out of the area, and I followed them as I was too young to be on my own. I said nothing to my parents at the time, as I still believed it was some sort of trick to scare visitors. I was, as previously mentioned, a strong skeptic in anything mystical or ghostly, so I refused to believe it was the specters of the murdered boys.

I then clearly remember going on to tour the rest of the white tower, so it could not have been a dream. I was fully awake and present, and did not feel sick or dizzy at the time.

Some more unusual things happened later that day. After leaving the Tower of London and walking around the stores, I began to feel very ill. Despite being in good health earlier that morning, I had suddenly gotten a bad fever. I had to go back to our hotel, and was sick for the rest of the day, but the illness cleared up almost as quickly as it had set in. I am not sure if this spontaneous fever is related to my experience, but it could not hurt to mention it.

A couple years later, that clear voice still stuck in my mind, so I went online to research if the Tower had any speakers or tricks relating to the Princes. Nothing seemed to match my story, and now that I am older I am wondering if it truly was the spirits of those murdered boys that were trying to contact another child their age.

If anyone else has had any experiences with the Princes in the Tower, feel free to let me know.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Smoky, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Sleeping-with-steve (guest)
 
6 years ago (2018-09-10)
Hello Smokey,

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Aporetic mentioned their bones weren't the first. Very sad.

I found this link if you want to know more.

Https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Princes_in_the_Tower

Regards,
SWS 😘 ❤ 😘
BeautInside (3 stories) (326 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-09-10)
Hi Smoky,

Did you suffered or still suffer from any allergy?
I am not a physician but I know of children, especially young children (my son was one of them, but thankfully it's in the past now), who suffer from allergies that when in contact with any susbstance such as dust can have a fever within just 24 hours and then go away. The towers might had a big amount of dust so that could explain your fever away, but if it wasn't the case then I'll give it the benefit of doubt as for a vírus it would take at least 2/3 days to go away.

As for the voices, maybe they really did belong to some young and lost souls. The towers are full of history, including bad history. It's sad to even think that some souls are still in pain. 😢

Thank you for sharing. ❤
Aporetic (5 stories) (125 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-09-09)
Greetings, Smoky

After reading your narrative, I did a quick search on the net for the Princes and Lnndon Tower.

The princes are Edward V and his brother Richard Duke of York, the sons of Edward IV and his Queen, Elizabeth Woodville.

Sadly, there's no definitive proof they were killed while housed in the tower, however, the bones of two small human skeletons were found in a wooden box, buried beneath the staircase of the tower, that have since been buried at Westminster Abbey.

There is much speculation that these are the bones of the two princes who were killed by their uncle, the Lord Protector, Richard, Duke of Gloucester, in the London Tower where he placed them in preparation for Edwards upcoming coronation as king. The only event that is irrefutable is that Richard took the crown for himself and the princes disappeared.

So yes, you may well have witnessed their lingering, restless spirits, however, they were not the first children's skeletons found within the tower as the bones of two children had previously been found in an old chamber that had been walled up.

Makes me wonder what other atrocities happened there. Curiouser and curiouser.

Thanks for sharing.

Regards
Apo
Zaruje (15 stories) (182 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-09-08)
Wow what an interesting story you got there smoky. I think your fever wasn't connected to what you had experienced. There are many factors that can contribute to you having a fever. To what you had experienced, maybe (just like what you had said) those boys are reaching out to you. Maybe I'll try and search about the Tower's history to help you more.

Thanks for sharing and looking forward to reading more from you!

Z ❤ ❤ ❤

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: