You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The London Commuter Hour

Real Ghost Stories

The London Commuter Hour

 

It was a normal Thursday morning during the main 'commuter hour' in London, as usual I had dragged myself out of bed a little too late, and was hurrying to catch the 8:05 tube on the Piccadilly line going from Ealing Common towards Holborn. The date was the 1st December and it was a chilly but sun filled morning, crisp and cool. Having made it down late onto the platform I was reluctant to get on such a packed carriage. Bag in one hand, book in the other hand wearing heals with no chance of sitting down for a least another four stops, I was not in the best of moods especially being packing into the carriage like a sardine struggling to hold on to the rail to keep steady.

An uncomfortable 15 minutes passed before a seat became available, so I settled into the seat, with my bag on my lap and began to get further into the book I was reading (I always read on the tube as I find it passes the time better than staring into space, whilst pretending not to look at all the other commuters!) By the time the tube passed through South Kensington, the carriage I was on was getting full to the brim, with people practically being forced to get very close up to one another (I was relieved I had a seat, selfish I know but the morning trains are a nightmare!).

By the time we were coming into Leister square station, I was getting restless and decided to cram the book I was reading into my bag, a fair few people were getting to their feet ready to get off at the next stop, when something caught my eye in the window in front of me, it was a reflection of what appeared to be the most horrible withered face of an elderly man, wearing some kind of hat! I froze in my seat fixated on the window, for a couple of seconds, as we came out of the tunnel onto the platform (into the light) it had all but disappeared. I was left cold and feeling very strange, however everyone around me seemed perfectly unaware of anything strange appearing before my eyes, so I said and did nothing. The carriage once again filled up and normality was restored, I continued my journey to work!

I still do the same journey each day and I am somewhat put off looking at any reflections in the glass windows for fear of what I may see, I also have not spoken to anyone about this as I am pretty sure they would just laugh it off. However I am all too aware that the underground has a long and gritty past, but why did whatever showed its self to me choose to do so?

Thank you for reading, and I would love to hear if anyone has had any similar experiences on the London Underground, especially around the Leister square station.

Other hauntings by LondonLady

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, LondonLady, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

reddysteady (5 stories) (95 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-07-17)
I resided in Enfield for a brief time and the Underground ALWAYS gave me the willies. It's funny to imagine a sighting in such a condensed area - you have to wonder all the activity people *don't* notice owing to the incredible amount of hustle and bustle. London Underground is an incredibly spooky place with loads of history.

A side note, I once saw an awesome documentary on the reputed hauntings of the London Underground, where some scientists chalk up the eerie feelings people get to subsonic soundwaves and the like. I think it was a History Channel bit but honestly can't recall 100%. Pretty interesting stuff, for the healthy skeptic - Having ridden the Piccadilly myself, place gives me the right out creeps. Thanks for sharing!
LondonLady (2 stories) (11 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-04-05)
Ha Ha, I was just looking through at some of my old posts, I did not realise the spelling discussion that was occurring... Really made me giggle!
Argette (guest)
+1
12 years ago (2012-01-06)
I've a good friend from New Zealand, and from years of e-mails I have a much better idea of our spelling differences.

Originally, I wondered about Leicester, too. It did not look right. I thoroughly understand being OCD on the language.
raggedwolf (1 stories) (20 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-01-06)
Sorry for the double post. I was browsing via my terrible HTC phone, and it seemed to crash RIGHT when I clicked publish. When I opened it up this morning, it was still on the story page. So I posted again.

In the UK, the term 'spelt' is correct. American English is different, and many words are spelt phonetically, like -lite
raggedwolf (1 stories) (20 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-01-06)
It is Leicester btw, it irritates me when people write a good story and leave words incorrect. Especially if you would have passed this station twice a day...

Oh, and its heels.

;)

Sorry, I have OCD about this
aussiedaz (19 stories) (1565 posts)
+3
12 years ago (2012-01-05)
Struth, the way I spell fings I'm up the creek without a paddle...πŸ˜†
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+2
12 years ago (2012-01-05)
Jave: "Specially" is special, and we use it here in the States! πŸ˜† πŸ˜† πŸ˜†
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
-1
12 years ago (2012-01-05)
Argette: hehehe... I can't stop giggling πŸ˜†...We're not bored much, huh? πŸ˜† πŸ˜†
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-01-05)
[at] zzgranny,
'Splain specially if you can stop 'sploding with laughter... πŸ˜† πŸ˜† πŸ˜†

Jav
Argette (guest)
+3
12 years ago (2012-01-05)
No, they spell it "spelt" instead of "spelled."

Spelled can be spelled spelt instead of spelled.

It is right in the UK.
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
12 years ago (2012-01-05)
Argette: πŸ˜† That doesn't make it right LOLπŸ˜†..."Spelt" is spelt, "spelled" is spelled... Even if you can't speak it properly, it should be "spelled" properly, specially when you're criticizing someone elses spelling...Right? πŸ˜†
Argette (guest)
+2
12 years ago (2012-01-05)
The word "spelt" is often used in the UK, instead of "spelled."
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
12 years ago (2012-01-05)
raggedwolf: For someone who's so well versed, I would think you'd know how to spell "spelled"...Do you know what "spelt" is?...Lesson of the day:

Http://www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spelt

I just get irritated at grammar and spelling police who don't use proper grammar and spelling themselves! πŸ˜† πŸ˜†
raggedwolf (1 stories) (20 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-01-05)
Leicester

If I passed a tube station everyday, I would at least know how it is spelt.

Heels, not heals.
Scorp2011 (18 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-12-09)
I assume you did try to debunk the visage as reflection. If it was indeed a lingerer from some past calamity, it might've appeared because (a) it could, and (b) to scare the bejesus out of someone just for the helluvit.
LondonLady (2 stories) (11 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-12-08)
thank you every one, I shall comment further but I have my Office Christmas Party today, so hopefully Later xx thanks Diane x
Argette (guest)
 
12 years ago (2011-12-08)
My first thought was use of the tubes during World War II, which is of course, legendary, but if this is a haunting it could be from much later. So many possibilities here, if it is not a trick of light or a fellow passenger. Such incidents in an area so rich with history are especially intriguing!
ChristineNicole (16 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-12-08)
Is it possible it was just the reflection of a fellow commuter?
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2011-12-08)
If this was not some odd trick of the light you may want to research events around the conscrution of the Leister Square Station, see if you can find any pictures and if so then try and match the 'style' of hat you saw on this 'man'. Was it a workmans hat? Was it a Professionals (Doctor/Lawyer or such) hat?

There are many stories concering underground construction areas... The London Tubes included. Thank you for sharing your experience with us.

Respectfully,

Rook
Argette (guest)
+1
12 years ago (2011-12-07)
I feel almost guilty posting when I cannot offer an solutions (trick of light, perhaps?) but I must tell you what a writing nice style you have, London Lady.

I would imagine Leister Square Station is rife with history and residual hauntings and heaven knows what.

Thanks you for sharing, I look forward to reading other posts.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: