You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Pets / Animals :: Ghostly Bark

Real Ghost Stories

Ghostly Bark

 

This took place shortly after my beloved dog, Zoey, passed away due to cancer.

I had my first experience after a very long day of school. Normally when I get home, I hear the sound of Zoey's tags jingling. But all I heard was my other dog, Baily. I had gone to let Baily out to go pee. I stood outside, looking out at the last place I saw Zoey barking. She had been barking at thunder. I swore I heard the faintest of barks. But I shook my head at it, as there were many dogs in the neighbor hood. After my mom left to go get her nails done, I rested on the couch with Baily at my side. I flipped through the channels on tv, groaning at the fact that nothing was on.

I put on "Without a Trace" and watched it with Baily. Soon, I fell asleep. But, as soon as I could remember the dream, the image of Zoey's dead body popped up. It was even more horrifing than the actual experience. Her still warm body... Her cold, icey blue tongue... The way her eyes were fixed on me... And worst of all, the smell of death, the smell of a dead friend, no longer to be seen. I relived that day, and the day after it. I tried to wake up, but I just couldn't. I cried in my sleep as I took Zoey's still warm paw.

But when I did wake up, Baily wasn't there. Zoey was. Left leg missing and all. She barked at me, like she wanted to play. But something was off about it. It was toneless... Like she had no emotion. Then she was gone. When my mom got home, I tried to tell her. But she didn't believe me. That night, I slept in the bean bag Zoey slept in. I had the exact same experience. But this time her bark seems almost sad. All day the next day I heard Zoey yelping. Alot. It was starting to stress me out. When I got home (I had to walk home) I had a break down. As I sat there crying, I heard the jingle of Zoey's tags. I looked up and there she was. She looked young, healthy and had her leg back. I cried and flung my arms around her. In return she licked my face over and over in a comforting manor. Then she was gone. But I heard her "happy as can be" bark. And I knew she was in a happier, better place.

To this day, I have that dream ocassionally. And Zoey will be there. I have her ashes in my room, so she can protect me even without her physical body.

I carry her with me, her ghost is attached to me.

"you and your special friend have met, and you will cross the rainbow bridge together, never to be separated."

~ The Rainbow Bridge, author unknown

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, sand_dragon, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments but I won't participate in the discussion.

daisy12 (10 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-05-04)
Too touching story. Just wept reading it. Great bonding between you and Zoey.
anneke8 (10 stories) (274 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-01-30)
Zoey wants you to move on yes. And I don't think you can while her ashes is in your room. Bury it outside and mark it with a nice little cross with her name on it. I loved all my animals, and all of them have their own little grave outside, and I will ALWAYS remember them and I know I will see them in heaven again. You will see Zoe again too!
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-01-30)
I agree with teneki. Zoey was being Zoey. Your best friend. She knew all your moods, expressions, emotions and quirks. Knew just how to bring you around and knew that you needed to grieve. Nothing gets past mans best friend, you know that! ❤
Thank you for sharing this loving experience with us, and thank you for sharing your memories of Zoey as well. May she always be by your side in spirit. ❤

Jav ❤
teneki (10 stories) (140 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-01-30)
I'd like to wager a guess what Zoey may have been doing. Is it possible that at the time, you were denying yourself the ability to grieve, even at the most minor of levels?

Reason I'm asking, is that it sounds like maybe Zoey picked up on that and wanted you to accept what happened. This would explain the initial dreams if it's what was happening. After you accepted it, would be when she came again to comfort you and let you know that she was alright.

If I'm correct, the whole thing was her looking out for you as she did in life, as bottling grief is a very unhealthy thing to be doing.
creepydog (3 stories) (71 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-01-30)
Aww I feel so sorry for you man. Your poor dog passing away like that. But at least the experiences were not ovally frightening. ❤ ❤ ❤
UntilDark (1 stories) (24 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-01-29)
I'm so sorry for the loss of your dog, Zoey. She wanted to convey to you that she wants you to move on. She will always be in your heart and protect you even when she's not here.

Thanks for sharing. 😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: