You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Poltergeists / Physical Manifestations :: The Dog Didn't Bark

Real Ghost Stories

The Dog Didn't Bark

 

I remember when I was thirteen I had my first ghost experience. It couldn't have come at a better (or worse) time. It was just me and my dog Zeus. Like most Thursday nights, I was at home, either watching a movie or surfing the Internet. If I can remember, it was probably 8 at night. I was in my room on the computer, when suddenly; I heard a crash somewhere in the house. I jumped and ran to my door and shut it (I am very paranoid), but like most people, I had to figure out what it was. I opened my door, an inch at a time and looked into the hallway.

I just scared myself more. You see, I left the lights off, but I built up the courage to go out. I looked down the stairs and saw nothing, except my dog. Weird, he didn't bark at all. I sighed with relief, my dog usually barked when something was there, but what could have made the noise. I tried to remember where it came from, and concluded that it came from my brother's room.

I crept down the hallway, slowly, until finally, I reached his room. I looked inside, flipped on the lights, and saw that his trophies had fallen on the ground. What was scaring me was, his trophies resided on his desk, and his desk was untouched. Nothing was broken.

I didn't want to find out anymore I ran back to my room, but before I did, I stopped about a foot from the door. The cold air froze me into place. This wasn't normal for my house, for it was summer. I called my dog up to my room, just to make me feel better, and as soon as he did, I went into my room, and waited for my Mom to come home.

I was feeling really drowsy, about 15 minutes later. I was about to shut my eyes, when my door slammed shut! I tried to let out a noise, any noise, but couldn't. I was struck with fear. Then, the door opened slightly, just slightly, as if someone was looking inside. Then, it shut again. For another hour, I sat there, just praying for my mom to come home.

Nobody was in my house, my dog didn't even bark...

Other hauntings by thewhiteknight92

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Iowa

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, thewhiteknight92, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-05)
Yes it is when it comes to multiple choice questions 😊or deciding to trust your instincts with a test question. As far as life is concerned, well...
Surya (39 stories) (867 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-05)
"First choice is always the best"... Sometimes the first choice isn't always the best choice.
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-05)
You know what? You reminded me of something I often tell my students and then I remember that I have to "stick to it" myself 😊.

"First choice is always the best"...well, who knows if that's the case?
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-31)
Yeah, I DID miss that one, sorry Tammy.
I have been trying to play a little "catch up" because of my absences, and I tell you, it has been a bit difficult.
Huh. That makes a lot of sense. I guess I SHOULD have gone with my first feeling on this episode, and JUST stated that it could be a poltergeist. That WAS my first "flag", but I am still learning not to second guess myself.
Thank you. I appreciate the feedback, my friend! 😊
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-29)
Hey Autumn-I suppose you haven't seen my comment on your story-I was wondering why you hadn't responded 😊.

You know, I've been tracking these occurrences for a long time and I sometimes have to wonder if what we are told most of the time is accurate. But then again who can "possess" the accurate or ultimate knowledge on such matters?

There seems to be great disagreement concerning Poltergheist-what it involves and how it progresses. Some say it is generated purely by the participant's emotions but there are a few cases where the indications point towards a very different assumption-that it actually involves a spirit-agent being provoked by the participant's "energy". I'm beginning to believe due to my own experiences that sometimes that may hold true while others, it doesn't. Then they talk about a progression of events with a "climax" and a final "catharsis" while there have been cases when the activity lasted for a very short period of time or it might have been a one-time deal and it stopped abrubtly after that without ever escalating.

In short there are so many reports that I really have to wonder if what holds true about one person can hold true for most cases. Besides if we accept that the occurrences are "provoked" by the human agent alone, who can possibly say with certainty that the agent would not subconsciously block them out right away. Do we all have the same energy in the same density, of the same duration? Some of us are "bombs" ready to explode some of us are subtle.

I really can't be absolute my friend about any of these but it's a real challenge to go through these cases one by one and try to find the connective lines between the similarities and differences.
luvparanormal (12 stories) (268 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-28)
I wanted to ask what were you doing when the first noise came about? Where on this website reading stories? Because I was thinking no matter if good or bad animals sense and the dog would have done something. I am not saying that I don't believe you, but I was thinking what if while you were reading stories on here the shelve where the trophies were on was loose and fell or came appart causing these to fall. You reading these stories already scared thought it was something else.
The cold draft could it be maybe your air conditioner came on and you were standing near a vent? The door slamming did anyone come in after the door slammed? I know in my house if I open a door downstairs one door will move upstairs due to air trapped in the house.
I have had amny experiences in my own home and I always try to discart any possibilities of it being a normal issue before I call is "ghosts" If you say that you discarded all of this an can't find an answer then maybe it was a ghost, but first I would make sure to look into it.
Good luck and keep us posted.
Charlemagne (1 stories) (21 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-28)
Hi thewhiteknight92, thanks for the story. I found it vivid, very well written. Your experience must have been very frightening, good thing you have your dog, Zeus, to accompany you most (if not all) of the time.

Aren't dogs senses supposed to be very keen, and they are able to "see" spirits/ghosts, right? If your dog didn't react (bark or growl), then there must have been no danger to you or your dog that night. Just my opinion.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-28)
Say, Tammy?
Just a question here.
Would you NOT have to have a bit more, and a bit more "noisy" occurrences for it to be classified as poltergeist activity? Would there NOT have to be a bit of a "history" in the presence of thewhiteknight92?
I only ask as I KNOW that poltergeist activity comes and goes. There usually is no warning for either the start or the end, but I thought there usually is more than one night, a few hours for this to BE.
I am asking as I had an experience (that a former roommate of mine also experienced) that only lasted a few hours. I went from thinking it was an earthquake (I was in California at the time) to being a possible poltergeist (conditions were favorable) to thinking it was a ghost who was set against the "illegal" activity I was involved in at the time. (Please see the story "Ghost or Earthquake?")
Would THAT experience be considered Poltergeist activity? Or IS there a "time frame"?
Thank you, Tammy.
Sorry for the interruption, thewhiteknight92.
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-28)
Hi and thank you for hsrring this very interesting story. I enjoyed reading it. I believe that there might be away to explain somethings. Being scared of encounters is a big no no but I know that its easier said then done. Do you think there were any drafts in the house at that time? I want to see if ther is any rational way to explain this event but as others have said this might just have been a spirit who popped by for awhile. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-27)
Hi thewhiteknight and thank you for posting your experience.

I would have believed it might have been a visiting spirit-one that accidentally passed by and got a little curious but then your dog's "silence" led me to another assumption: no barking... Maybe no spirit involved? For that I would like to ask you how old you are? Could it have been poltergheist? Has anything else happened since then?
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-26)
I have GOT to admit, thewhiteknight92, that is what I suspected. I had a very strong sense that he was not in the vicinity of the noises, nor in your brothers room. But I HAD to ask 😊. (Shrug), That is just me trying to "eliminate" the "obvious".
Yep. I would have to lean toward my final paragraph in my first comment. I would think you to have been blessed with a visitor for those few moments in time.
Thank you for sharing this with us.
Rebelboy1987 (9 stories) (186 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-26)
What I meant to say was, the only reason I read this story was the title, because I had a similar experience. Just wanted to make sure I didn't confuse you haha
Rebelboy1987 (9 stories) (186 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-26)
That is so weird. The only reason I read this story was because I had a somewhat similar experience. In my very first story in the Strange Things Go Bump series I'd written, I believe I left this part out, but all these noises that I believed were coming form my garage didn't startle my two dogs who sleep in the garage at night. They didn't make a peep. That is very strange for my dogs. They usually bark at the slightest abnormal noise, and this was LOUD
thewhiteknight92 (2 stories) (6 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-26)
whitebuffalo, I'm going to answer as best as I can, your questions, (I didint read your full comment, but most of it, for I am very tired). For the trophy part, my dog is very lazy (haha) and he is always on the couch in our good living room, on the first floor and he only moves if he is called. And the other two things, I didn't know if those were questions or not. Sorry, but thanks for reading.

Crazygirl, my house is pretty old, and I can't quite say if there is pipes by my room or not.

Spikes and walang, I have to agree, maybe he didn't bark because he didn't sense it as a threat.

I guess it all comes down to this, my house is a one stop shop for some ghosts, perhaps?
crazygirl101 (20 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-25)
maybe your dog was scared too. That might be the reason he didn't bark. Sometimes my door opens and slams shut. My mum says its the pipes having ruhes of water that could have been why the door was opening
walangk3 (2 stories) (17 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-25)
strange, why wouldn't your dog bark...?quite creepy, I know I would be scared and run out of the house. Haha
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-25)
Hmm. That IS curious, thewhiteknight92.
Several things stand out for me in this story. I will list them, but please know that this is an opinion, I am not all knowing. 😊
The first "flag" is that you were thirteen. Well known hunters and researchers have been known to say that the teen years are the prime time for poltergeist activity. It is MY understanding that eventually the poltergeist activity "dies down" (please excuse the pun). In that this all happened in ONE night, I would HAVE to count that out. Only because, in MY mind, if the occurrence happens once, HOW can it be something that needs to "die down"?
The second "flag" is Zeus. It is a "common" thought that both young children and animals can sense, or detect ghostly movements and presences. In that Zeus had no inclination to DO so, that would seem to put an entity in question. (As in, was there really something there, the DOG did not seem to think so...)
The third "flag" is that the trophies had fallen off the desk. Nothing else seemed to be disturbed? Where was Zeus at this time? Was he in the room with YOU, or elsewhere? Do you recall the distance from where the trophies were SUPPOSED to be, and where they fell to? Do you recall if it appeared that they "toppled" over, as if inadvertently brushed with a hand? Or would the distance suggest a "throwing"?
Was Zeus with you for the rest of the night? No way for him to have affected the door?
To ME, I would think (without being able to investigate fully, it is difficult to say unquestionably) it SOUNDS as if, for that few moments in time, there WAS something there in the house, when the rest of your family was not home.
I am anxiously awaiting the responses to the posted questions. I appreciate the invite to your page.
Thank you.
spikess (2 stories) (10 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-25)
that's very strange... And quite creepy! I wonder why the dog didn't bark? I know mines did if she heard anything (even if it wasn't paranormal!)

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: