You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Non Human Entities :: Something On The Side Of The Road

Real Ghost Stories

Something On The Side Of The Road

 

My story took place just outside my hometown of Beckley, WV. It happened in the winter of last year and hasn't been off my mind since. I've told a few people about it, people I can trust for honest advice and I know take me seriously. It's left me confused and frightened. Anyway here it is.

I want to be honest about every detail about my story so I ask you to please not judge me when I tell you this first part. Ok, my girlfriend and I go to an outpatient treatment center for opiate addiction and counceling. Yes, I made some mistakes in my life as a teenager and I became hooked on Oxycontin. I'm not proud of it, but since starting treatment I have remained clean and I'm proud to say that. It's been very hard but through work and support I've done it.

Now, a lot of days we are out there at 5 or 6 a.m. The center is about 2 miles off the interstate exit down a wooded dead end road with a few other businesses around. It can be a really dark road before the sun comes up and on this particular day it was about 6 a.m and was still dark. Very cold as it was winter and a little bit of snow out. We were about halfway to the center of the exit when we noticed someone ahead of us walking on the shoulder the opposite way of our travel. (so facing us) I remember thinking that sucks for them walking in the cold and I figured it was another patient walking home from the center and I had actually said to my girlfriend "see if you know who that is and maybe we can pick em up".

Now, the speed limit on the road is 50mph, with the snow I was probably going 35 or so and when we first noticed them walking they were probably 30 feet ahead of us in the car's headlights. As we approached I slowed down to get a good look at them to see if we knew them and as I came up to them the figure stopped and turned it's head to us. What I saw, to this day, terrifies me.

It had dark colored clothing, what looked like a hoodie of some kind, but it's face, it wasn't human. It had the biggest, most evil smile on it's face I've ever seen. And guys I mean it was huge. The smile literally went from one side of the face to the other and the teeth were enormous. Not sharp, they were human-like, but way to big to be. It almost looked cartoonish. I remember my girlfriend saying "Oh my God", but I wasn't sure she was seeing what I did. Needless to say, we didn't stop. Then Ashley said "did you see that"? I said "yes" and I turned the car around in a wide spot and went back. I had to try to figure this out.

Now from the time we saw it, turned around and got back to where it was, was maybe 20 seconds and it was gone. I swear to you, it was gone! There was nowhere for this thing to go. There is a tall chain link fence with barb-wire at this spot between the road and the edge of the woods. So it couldn't have dipped in the trees. I mean it was 20 seconds!

After we couldn't find it, I asked Ashley to describe to me what she saw and she said an oversized Joker (from Batman) smile. I knew then she saw the same thing as me. Her and I have talked about this with each other a hundred times and it's always the same story. We have never seen it again. Now, I don't know what it was, but I know it WAS NOT human. It looked and felt...well, evil. I know how this may sound, but I promise you this is 100% true. Some explanations I've gotten from people are that it was possibly an addiction demon. I don't know if that is what it was, but it wasn't someone needing a ride.

Anyone with some input or ideas of what it may have been, I'd love to hear it. Thanks

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from West Virginia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, huskyowner24, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Pjod (3 stories) (978 posts)
 
9 years ago (2014-10-20)
Very cool to hear someone else had a similar "side road" sighting. If the poster "hereiam" still checks this site, I'd like to ask him for a better description- as far as clothing, hair, etc.
hereiam (2 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-07-29)
I should add I saw this thing just outside the passenger side window. Its face was no more than ten feet away from mine and was well lit until we passed it. It was a real face, not a mask, and the enormous teeth looked very real. It had wide wet eyes and pallid skin. Sitting all alone on the guardrail along a highway, in the pitch black, miles from anything. Scariest thing I have ever seen...
hereiam (2 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-07-28)
I am not a ghost chaser or necessarily even a believer but this person's description is nearly identical to an experience my wife and I had on a rural WV highway just east of Mt. Storm back in 1992 - twenty years ago and hundreds of miles away from huskyowner24's incident. Both my wife and I are professional scientists, and we were completely sober when we had our encounter. The thing we saw (I cannot call it human) fits huskyowner24's description perfectly. We saw it at night and the apparition we saw was seated on the guardrail instead of walking. Pretty much the same clothing as in 2012. It grinned at us with an expression that could only be called malevolent, and it had inhumanly large teeth in an impossibly wide mouth. Both of us were disturbed by the sight of this thing, and we both remember it well. This probably won't make the original poster feel any better about their experience, but at least they now know they aren't alone. This is not a prank - we saw the same thing they did.
huskyowner24 (1 stories) (1 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-04-04)
Hey everyone. I apologize for dissappearing for a while. This is the first time I've been back since posting my story. I could go into the reasons but it would take to long. I promise it wasn't intentional and I'm sorry if you feel that my absence speaks volumes and takes away validity from my experience... Anyway thank you all so much for your comments and advice. To answer some questions obviously a mask was the first thing to enter my mind and I can assure you it was not. I saw the mouth move. Like the last bit of the smile form. And like I said there was just no place for a person to hide in that amount of time. Impossible... And no I didn't check for tracks and I really wish I would have. I don't know why I didn't think of it. Dumb move. I have found out that others have had experiences on the road. Not like mine, but one where a truck driver had a ghost in his cab. We haven't seen anything since, but it is still on my mind all the time
Ghostly13 (1 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-09-15)
Possibly demon. I have encountered a "road-side" demon before. In my case it happened to be in the center of the road, as I drove through it, it turned on all my cars lights, until I got home. At that point in the coming days I realized it had followed me home. Nasty one it was. This particular one had it out for me. I happen to have a heightened sense of my surroundings, also being things most people never notice or see, along with spirits. Being sensitive to energies has bothered me forever. Nowadays I do my best to deal and ignore, I have other issues in life to concern myself with. Though passing through areas of where one has died and left something behind, I feel it like a jolt to my system, sometimes causing me to feel sick. Anyhow, I don't believe demons bump into people by accident anymore. You may have something that struck their attention, the smile might be to let you know they are watching. They really don't seem to worry much about causing a stir, or leading you down a "bad road". I once caught of these beings on camera phone. I had a copy saved in my phone, and I forwarded a copy to my email. To this day, I have no idea where they went. Totally erased! Possibly electronic glitch? HMMM! Apparently they like to cover up tracks as well, and that may be way documented evidence is practically non-existent. They want to keep us on our toes, while making us look insane in the process, I think they get off on that. Either way, many people have experienced these demons, in all sorts of shapes and forms. Possessions even, minor, or long term. They can pop in and pop out without warning. I have some prime examples, some scary, some straight up silly, again with EVIL GRINS. Not so much "Joker" status, but a more darker, "i know what you did last summer" sense, coming from a complete stranger. The old in and out possession. Either way, your everyday ghost is pretty much harmless, but a demon can be your worst nightmare. (Demons don't need rides, soon as you claim it disappeared, it might have joined your travel without you even realizing it) as in my case.
ghostsScareChad (1 stories) (5 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-03-13)
That is truly scary! But the one question I have that I hope the author returns to answer is I think the obvious one everyone has seen to overlook. He has said it had been snowing... Soo much so he had to decrease his speed to 35. And that it had just disappeared. So I now ask... Were there tracks? He turned around... And at once realizing that what I saw had disappeared I would of immediatly started looking for the tracks... Not saying ida followed them... But I would of confirmed that what I saw was leaving footprints in the snow. Just sayin!
lissy86 (4 stories) (10 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-03-06)
Could it have been a person just walking along in the cold wearing a neoprene mask to keep their face warm? I'm not trying to poopoo your experience but a lot of them have these creepy almost cartoon like demon faces printed on them. My husband has a few of them for cold days on his motorbike and he has scared the crap out of me with them.
Serendipity (2 stories) (20 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-02-27)
I would agree that absence speaks volumes re coming back into the discussion. But it isn't as if the OP has left posts anywhere else. It is like he's unloaded the story and that that has served the purpose it was intended to. Still interesting!

It's a bit of a stretch, but it has to be said that a mask is an explanation. But why would someone have been wearing a mask at that time of day? They're not uncommon things in themselves, though, and apart from possibly being worn to protect the face from the cold (it sounds like a long walk in freezing conditions), they are also worn by criminals to disguise their appearance. An adict, looking to finance the habit by any means necessary, is not a very surprising person to have one.
Pjod (3 stories) (978 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-02-18)
no comments from the OP here? Such a shame, considering it was a good story. Were it me who witnessed this- I surely would be back in here for the discussion. Absence speaks volumes...
Jimmy123 (4 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-02-12)
This is a very fascinating story. I've seen a similar kind of 'thing' except the entity wasn't showing it's teeth, it was more of what I'd describe as a sinister smile. Anyway, I've always been interested in this 'grinning man' since my experience, and if you do a bit of research you'll find some eerily similar accounts. Anyway, great story, thanks for sharing!
SugarySweetGirl (2 stories) (26 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-02-11)
1st off, I'd just like to say, If you don't want to be judged, then you've come to the right place. We won't judge you here. We all have different expierences in our lives, paranormal AND otherwize.

2nd, omg... That is so scary. And I have no idea what it could have been, but I'm sure someone here will. The people on this site are very helpful. Also, would it be possible for you to draw us a picture of what it looked like and post it on here? I'd like to see what you saw.
lsandhu (2 stories) (360 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-02-10)
Thanks for the fascinating link, ParaJed. It sounds similar to what the poster saw. I'm not sure I believe in demons, but for what it's worth, I do take your account seriously, huskyowner24.
Moongrim (2 stories) (871 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-02-09)
I agree, that oxy stuff is just a little too darned attractive.

Did you check for footprints?

I'd recommend noting the time, date, and location in detail, and... Making a free hand drawing from you and your Gif making one as well. But not looking at the other's until you're both done. If anything else you'll both remember details the other doesn't.

A pic speaks a thousand words, posting it along with your account in a local blog of yours may gather replies from those who also have encountered such.
ParaJed (1 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-02-09)
I believe this could help a few people out. I like to read up on stuff like this, and I feel like this could help you figure out what it is you saw, notice how this "creature" was originally seen around that area... Http://mysteriousuniverse.org/2011/05/the-grinning-man-alien-apparition-or-mib/
Nysa (4 stories) (685 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-02-09)
There are many folkloric creatures that are more or less human in appearance but their true form is betrayed by a distorted feature. Many are believed to be aggressive & harmful to humans, even "evil." They are also often believed to be able to fly, become invisible or transform in some way to "disappear." What a person believes those to be in the end is usually determined by the culture you grew up in. What they "actually" are is one of the more interesting mysteries of life.
teneki (10 stories) (140 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-02-09)
It could very well have been a demon attracted to the addiction you were overcoming. Perhaps it meant to scare you enough to cause you to return to your addiction?

Hopefully that didn't happen.
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-02-09)
huskyowner24, First I would like to congratulate you on your commitment to stay clean. It takes a lot of strength and courage and I wish you the best of luck.

I'm not sure about what you saw either, but you both saw it so at least you have validity.

Thanks for sharing your experience, and take care. 😊
Pjod (3 stories) (978 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-02-09)
One thing I'm confused about- you describe both singular and plural. Was it one person, or more walking along that road?
Pjod (3 stories) (978 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-02-09)
I believe you saw what you describe- and the only "human" explanation would be someone wearing a mask. At that hour, in the cold- on a dark road- does not make much sense. Disturbing any way you look at it.
Spockie (8 stories) (203 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-02-09)
I agree that it was probably some kind of demon. Addiction is a tormenting thing, very hard to break. I'm sure these demons get a lot of pleasure from the pain addicts suffer.
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-02-09)
huskyowner24,
I have no idea what that was either. But the description you gave was quite vivid, not to mention disturbing.
Yikes!

Jav 😲

Sorry I wasn't any help, but I am worried.
anneke8 (10 stories) (274 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-02-09)
Husky, read my story 'My Freaky Life 4' and tell me what you think. That evil face you saw...
I was in a very old farm house and I was taking digital photos. When I looked at the photos later that same day I nearly fell of my chair. When I zoomed in on the photo, I could see someone sitting on the chair in the computer room. All I could see was it's face. A big face with a smile nearly from the one ear to the other, with normal, big teeth.
And the smile was totally EVIL! I never saw something like that. I could even make out that the thing had blue eyes! It almost looked like The Joker in a
Batman Movie... It felt so evil, I deleted it from my camara! I wish I haven't though, so I could share it on this site! The thing is, I felt pure evil inside that house, that's why I took random photos of every room to see if I could 'catch' something.
crecentblue03 (151 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-02-09)
Well for one thing I don't know if it could be an addiction demon I have never done hard drugs but growing in the 60s I have done pot& rush or locker room. I do believe by the time you and your girl friend saw this the two of you have been in treatment long enough to not have any more of the drug in your systems any more, so that said I believe you did see a demon and as for the way it looked well, demons can take on many forms I think it took that form just to creep you out. You haven't seen it sense have you?. Good story very creepy.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: