You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Priest

Real Ghost Stories

Priest

 

When I was a child, maybe at the age of 9 or 10, me and my cousins visited my grandparents house regularly. There was nothing creepy about the house, as we loved going there to see each other, as well as our grandparents themselves.

One night, we decided to play a game with our grandmother in which she would turn the lights out in the back three rooms of the house, and hide under a sheet somewhere in said three rooms. We would get a flashlight to track her down, and upon finding her, our usual reaction was to shriek in excitement and run back to our grandfather who was sitting in the living room watching TV. We played again and again, each time running past the bathroom and kitchen en route to the living room. I can't remember how many times we played until the only paranormal event in my entire 19 years occurred.

We broke out in a sprint for the living room, only this time, when we rushed past the kitchen, I caught a quick glance of what seemed to be a large priest/preacher, as I'm not sure exactly what it was, sitting at the table. My heart probably skipped a beat as I lunged on to the couch, burying my face in the pillows with fear. I didn't make a sound and I didn't move. I just pretended to be asleep as my younger cousin pushed and poked me, urging me to play again. I kept my head down, in fear of what I had just seen. I can't remember how long I stayed on the couch, pretending to be in my own little world in which I thought I was alone. I eventually snapped out of it and asked my older cousin if he had seen what I had seen in the kitchen. He responded with a yes. Since then, I recalled the event to him maybe 5 or so years later and he still stood strong that he had seen the priest as well.

To this day, as I write this, it seems like the strangest thing in the world that I wasn't more afraid of what I had seen, or maybe even traumatized. To others it may seem not that big of a deal, but I feel as if I should remember that moment more than I do. Maybe it was that I was merely a kid, but I look back at that moment and don't really feel any emotion towards it. I don't feel any emotion towards it, and that's scarier than the memory.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Arkansas

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, JTM1218, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments but I won't participate in the discussion.

JTM1218 (1 stories) (1 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-07-01)
I put that option of not participating because sometimes I forget to check back at comments for things I post and was just being cautious I suppose. As for the theories of why I wasn't more frightened, the fact it wasn't threatening definitely played a role in my fear surpressing. I'm not afraid of priests or anything of the sort; it's just that nothing like that had ever happened to me before and hasn't happened since. And yes, I have visited the house normally since childhood. Thanks for the comments!
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-01)
Am I the only one who noticed that the author has chosen the following option?

" I will read the comments but I won't participate in the discussion."

Yeah Lou, I like turtles too! 😆 😆

Jav 😉
Casper_the_ghost (9 stories) (180 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-06-30)
Hi, why did it never cross your mind it was infact an actual living priest at the table? 😕
Samion (13 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-06-29)
I agree with virtualboy, unless you have any otherwise existing feelings towards priests that would compel your recollection of seeing one to be terrifying, you essentially saw a man sitting at a table. Not really scary, especially when you probably had the childlike trust in your grandparents protection surrounding you
LouSlips (10 stories) (979 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-29)
I like turtles.

Lou

Fifty, fifty, fifty, fifty, forty-nine, fifty
Max_b (1 stories) (5 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-29)
Sounds like a very genuine and classic apparition experience, particularly as it's your only one. I'm not convinced by the traditional spirit interpretation. My pet theory is that you were both seeing what somebody else was seeing in the past.

Unaltered floor plans and layouts in old properties (corridors, hallways, doorways) all increase the chance that you could be in the right location at the right moment to see what the broadcaster was seeing as they experienced a strongly emotional event.

As the location between the broadcaster and you (the receiver) increases across time, so the spacial location in which the broadcast can be received collapses according to Heisenburg's uncertainty principle. That's the reason apparitions from the distant past are much rarer, than apparitions from more recent history. Where the broadcaster and receiver are in the same time period, the location in which the broadcast can be received is therefore infinate (telepathy).

Anyway, thanks for sharing.
virtualboy (1 stories) (18 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-06-29)
It sounds to me like you weren't scared because the priest wasn't threatening. He wasn't evil, he wasn't doing anything bad, just sitting at the table. Is it possible he was a former resident there? Could be he was happy sharing the home with your grandparents, and therefore tried not to disturb them. If he wasn't an evil entity he wouldn't have necessarily given anyone the creeps. He may even have been watching over your grandparents. (I say this because you were not scared, and you would have felt fear if it had wanted you to.) Can you go back there? Have you seen him again?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: