You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Samantha's House

Real Ghost Stories

Samantha's House

 

First of all I will apologize for the length of this story, but there is a lot to tell. These events take place in Harrison, Arkansas. It's a small town in Northern Arkansas. I currently live in Missouri but my best friend Samantha lives in Harrison. This is her story: Samantha is a single mother of a beautiful 7 year old little girl named Katy. As of late 2011 Samantha and her husband split up and she started house hunting. She got a good deal on a rent house within a week of looking. It was a 2 bedroom home with a full basement and had a fenced in back yard. What a bargain! She called me immediately and told me about it. She said she couldn't pass it up. The only other option she had was to move back in with her parents and she refused to ever do that again. Within a week the move started. Katy was a little depressed about it. She told her mother that she just didn't like the house. Samantha thought it was because Katy didn't want to leave from their other home. She told her that she would get used to it and love that house as much as their old place. At first the house was wonderful and they had no problems with it.

I went to visit Samantha and Katy when they finally got settled. My first impression was "Oh my! This house is old." I asked her how old she thought it was. She said that her landlord told her the house was built in 1912. WOW! Who knows what history could be tied into it. She showed me through the house.

Here's a little of the layout: The living room seemed small but cute, had some wood paneling on the walls. Seemed very 70's. To the right of the living room and one small step up was the hallway which lead directly to a bathroom and a small bedroom (Samantha's room) Straight across Samantha's room was 3 stairs which lead down into their kitchen. As soon as I walked into the kitchen I felt a cold draft. I thought it was the A/C considering it was 80 degrees outside. I really didn't think much of it. As soon as you got into the kitchen, to the left was another small hallway which lead into another bedroom (Katy's) and to a door which went into the backyard. Directly at the end of the kitchen (if you went straight after coming down the stairs) was the door for the basement. Samantha said that she was kind of creeped out by the basement, but it was a basement, lots of people are creeped out by them.

She took me down to the basement and suddenly I felt light headed. I got a sense of vertigo as I walked down the stairs and just felt strange. I chalked it up to being hypoglycemic and said "I think I need to go sit down and have something to eat". Later that night I left and went back home. The house gave me the creeps but I figured that it was best not to mention it to Samantha.

The next week I talked to Samantha again. I asked how everything was going. The first thing she said was, "My house is haunted." I thought, well it is an old house. Probably settles a lot and makes noise. She said that the second week they were there is when everything turned weird. She went in to take a shower after Katy was asleep. While in the shower she heard a noise like the bathroom door opening. She looked out, thinking it was Katy and nothing was there.

Within a couple minutes some steam had fogged up her glass shower door and when she went to open it she saw the hand print of someone who is a lot bigger than her on the glass. It freaked her out (it would me too). It was without a doubt a man's hand print.

The next morning she woke up around 4 Am to sounds in the kitchen. It sounded like glass breaking. She thought "Oh great Katy broke something" and went down to check it out. 3 of her glass dishes that her grandmother had given her somehow came out of her cabinet and broke in the floor. There's no way they could do that on their own. She went in and looked at Katy who was still asleep. She thought it best not to even say anything to Katy.

The next day after Katy was at school Samantha decided to go into the basement and move some stuff upstairs. The basement had a concrete floor and wood paneling on the walls as well. It still had some things in there from the previous owners, including a large rug hanging on the wall. It was pretty and all but Samantha decided to take it down. In the midst of taking it down she made one creepy discovery. There was a door behind the rug! This door was wooden and had an old lock on it. It looked like something from the 1800's.

Before she did anything else she called her landlord. She asked her straight up "Why didn't you tell me about the door in the basement?" The landlord seemed confused and swore up and down that she had no idea what she was talking about. She told her to come over and they would both investigate it. She knew better than to go at it alone. The landlord arrived and was in complete shock when Samantha showed her the door "I swear Sam I never knew about this!" She said. They decided to cut the lock and see what was inside this strange door.

As soon as the door was opened Samantha got the biggest sense of dread. They looked inside hesitantly. The room was a non finished part of the basement. The walls and floor were both wood but someone had painted them black. It was eerie. There was nothing in the room except a wooden table with dead roses on it. There were ropes tied to the wall, almost like they had someone tied up in the past. How creepy is that?! It was like something out of a scary movie. She went in the room and picked up the roses. She couldn't make herself take those flowers out of that room no matter how hard she tried. She had a panic attack everytime she tried to move them. She said "ok, keep your flowers" and left them there. She got a different lock and put on the door. She had a feeling like that door should stay closed.

A couple of nights later Samantha had a horrible nightmare. She dreamed that there was a little blonde boy and a tall skinny man who lived in her house back in the 70s. The little boy was crying because the man was very scary. The man made threats towards the boy and told him he would kill him if he misbehaved. Towards the end of the dream Samantha saw this man pick up a shotgun and shoot the little boy in the head and then shoot himself. She woke up in a sweat, having another panic attack. She could have sworn that she heard that gunshot.

Within minutes she heard Katy screaming. She ran down to her bedroom to comfort her. Katy told her "Mommy I had a bad bad bad dream! There was a little boy and his daddy was very mean to him. He didn't like him at all for ruining his marriage so the man shot the little boy and then he shot himself, right in our kitchen!" Samantha was floored. Did Katy have the same exact dream as she did? Can that happen? Well it did happen. There may have been slight differences, but the same dialogue was there. She was speechless. She told Katy that it was just a silly dream and let her sleep in her room for the rest of the night. Katy managed to get back to sleep later but Samantha never did.

A few days later Samantha let Katy spend the weekend with her grandparents. Katy was having bad dreams almost every night and she thought it would be good to let her get away. That night things got weirder. It must not have liked that Katy was gone. Samantha tried to watch a movie and relax and forget about the all out creepiness of her house. While watching the movie she heard noises underneath her (in the basement) it sounded like someone was knocking and knocking loud. She ignored it. She went down to get some water in the kitchen and felt like she was being watched from the basement door. She closed the door and locked it to feel a little safer.

After the movie she went back to the kitchen to make something to eat and there was the basement door wide open. "I know I shut you!" she yelled at it and closed and locked the door again. While she was making her dinner she kept looking back at the door to see if it was still locked. After she got done with dinner she put her dishes in the sink and looked at the door yet again, wondering if maybe she was going crazy, when suddenly something knocked on the door. Three loud knocks. She jumped nearly out of her skin and ran upstairs. "It knew I was watching the door!" She told me over the phone. She was so scared I could hear the shakiness in her voice. I tried to calm her down and offered to stay with her on Saturday since it was my day off.

When I arrived the next day, I gave Samantha a small cross to hang on her wall. It was one that I had in my own home for years. I didn't know if it would help or not, but it was worth a shot. She had mentioned that she wanted one over the phone, just to see if it made things go away. She hung it in the kitchen, which seemed to be the 2nd scariest place in the house. We decided to make it a girls day since we didn't really know what else to do, so we went out to eat, got our nails done and rented a couple of movies before returning back to the house.

When we went into the living room it was cold. It felt like it was 30 degrees in there. "It has never been like this before" Samantha told me. We went into the kitchen and saw that 4 more plates were broken and a couple of glasses. These had all been in the sink when we left. "Well now I know it is definitely not Katy" She told me. We glanced over to the cross on the wall and saw that it was upside down! I told Samantha immediately that she's got something bad in her house and she's going to have to leave or get it blessed. She was so upset that she went upstairs and cried. She just sobbed. "I don't believe this crap! I thought we had a good normal place to live and now we have to deal with this, and up until now I honestly didn't believe in ghosts."

I tried to comfort her and told her she just needed to move. She said that she had signed a lease for a year and didn't think there was a way out of it. Even after the landlord saw the creepy door downstairs. Nothing else really happened that night, but on Sunday she went to get Katy from her grandparents and had a suspicion that the ghost followed her. While there she kept seeing shadows and even heard growling coming from the bathroom. She said that had never EVER happened at that house before, so it had to be the ghost from her house following her.

Months later, Samantha is still at this house. She doesn't talk to me as much as she used to and she seems to keep to herself more. I'm not quite sure what's going on there. The last I heard from her was almost a month ago. (and we used to talk everyday) The last thing she told me was that the knocking had spread from the basement to all over the house. Now she hears knocking in her closet at night. She heard growling in her closet which really scared her and Katy told her that she saw that mean man from her dreams standing in her bedroom one night looking at her. After she noticed him he moved closer and closer to her, turning and bobbing his head as if he wasn't sure if she were real or not. Then as he became face to face with her she screamed bloody murder and he dissipated into nothing.

Samantha hasn't seen anything yet as far as ghosts go, (minus some shadows and things that she can only see out of the corner of her eye) but Katy has seen a lot. I think she's seen more than she's even told her mom about. She sleeps in Samantha's room now because she's afraid of the "people in her room" and refuses to talk about it. Samantha is trying to do research on her house but hasn't had much luck. The landlord bought it from an old couple who used it as their Summer house. In the Winter they lived in Florida and they only owned that house for 2 years before the woman got very sick and couldn't make the trips anymore. They told her that they also had no idea about the door in the basement. Apparently it's been there longer than they thought.

Thank you for reading. Sorry it was so long. Has anyone else had something like this happen? I'm sure Samantha would love some answers here and I'm pretty curious myself. There have been more things happen in this house that I didn't mention, but I will save all of that for another time

Other hauntings by JustanotherTori

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Arkansas

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, JustanotherTori, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

Dip1904 (115 posts)
 
9 years ago (2014-12-14)
It really needs to be attended quickly and not just ignore it. That's all I can say.
Julesylou (16 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2014-12-14)
Wowza! This is nuts! I hope your friend got help. It's odd that you hear this often in these scenarios "she and I aren't as close" or "she's isolated herself" it seems these THINGS use the divide and conquer bit. I hope you did the right friend thing to do and fought for her and your friendship, it's the difference between winning and loosing in these instances.
** I know I'm late in the game! But if anybody out there is in this same situation! Fight to bring your friend/family back. Isolation is not good.
Jules
readerty (1 posts)
-1
11 years ago (2012-12-10)
I would be very interested in knowing where this house is. I would love to do more research on the property.
NiNiNogginHead (33 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-08-22)
Whatever this thing is it isn't good. She needs to leave that house or get it blessed or something. The fact that she isn't herself and won't talk to you anymore is probably not a good sign. I would try and talk to her and convince her to do something about this.
Rozo (3 stories) (108 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-14)
WOW! This is scary as hell! The part of the mean man bobbing his head to make sure that she is real or not is freeeeeeeeeakkkkkkkky! That image is stuck in my head now- Thanks for that! Lol.
You are a true friend! A soul mate, but in all honesty, your friend needs to for the safety of Katy get the hell outta of there or seek intervention! Because this is not healthy... And by you saying that she is not herself anymore is RED LIGHTS for me... This could be consuming her!
Please seek help for this!
Shlain (13 stories) (246 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-02)
I agree with Rook and RustyMoan. You should be able to get some help and at least figure out what (apart maybe from the man & boy) is in your house.

Its not always easy to just pack up and leave a house. Financially its complicated. Make contact with Sam and show her your interest and worry for her situation.

Shlain
rstahley (3 stories) (102 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-07-08)
Very scary story... I hope your friend decides to get out of there! I too found your story difficult to stop reading.
Bbrave (1 stories) (131 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-08)
Your friend needs to have that house blessed and possibly exorcised. I'd do both to be sure also I'd have her record evidence of these disturbing noises. For use in a lawsuit maybe not one to get her money back but instead to get her out of the lease.

I also suggest she move after having the house blessed and or exorcised. Because it sounds to me that the entity is attached to Katy and that's not good. I'd have her look into every possible protection method in her situation.

Also I'd go and visit her because she's closing herself off from the outside world and that's exactly what it wants. It gains power from her doing that so do not let her she needs the contact more than ever now
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-07-07)
Bleach, it's not just to whiten, whites anymore... 😲 There's an 'advertisement' just 'waiting' to happen here... 😁

May I inquire as to just where this method of 'self-freshing' comes from?

Respectfully,

Rook
JordanElizabethBell (7 posts)
-3
12 years ago (2012-07-07)
For a start, some crosses don't work and they are for decorating, but if you could help her do something called 'self freshing' which is putting 4 pints of water in a tub/bucket and half a pint of bleach minimum in with it and dip the cross in and leave it for a week to clean it from bad spirits, if you like to make it better through the remaining water down in the basement above the door, but if she is frightened that the spirits are going to take it to an advantage and set it on fire or something. She should keep an eye on Katy and maybe stop sending her to school for a week or two and say that she is ill or something to see how she acts during the day on a weekday and make her have a nap after dinner and say that your tired and she might sleep and then maybe the 'man ghost' is attached to her because she is the same age as the little boy that got 'murdered'.
Hope this helps samantha
Qua (39 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-07)
I couldn't stop reading your story after I've started. I think it is best for Samantha and Katy to move out from the house as the spirit is mean and revengeful. I'm having some crackpot theory that Samantha could have been related to the mean man which is why the spirit is following her.
Pjod (3 stories) (978 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-07-06)
One thing though, the hidden door to a room, covered by a carpet hanging on the wall- I'm having trouble believing the landlord wouldn't have checked behind a very large rug hanging in the basement... If only to look for mold or structural damage, which is normally done before a home sale. Most states/townships by law, require a basement inspection to be done before closing on the deal. Perhaps the landlady was not forthcoming with her knowledge of the room- but you did say the old 1800's looking lock was still intact- before the two ladies sliced through the old lock, discovering the room with table and dead roses...
Throw a violin in there, and it all reminds me of Young Frankenstein, the movie.
Creepy stuff.
Pjod (3 stories) (978 posts)
+3
12 years ago (2012-07-06)
While reading this, I can't help but get the feeling I'm reading from an attempted novel. Not trying to be disrespectful, I just get that feel from it. I can't believe your friend would stay there with a young child- or that the kindly old landlords wouldn't let her out of a lease under these particular circumstances. After the face to face encounter she had with that entity, no young mother could continue living there with their child. Ah, but I hope the best for your friend- an obvious option, should all else fail, would be to talk to the landlady about pulling out of the lease- perhaps she herself can spend a couple nights there to see what is occuring in the house she owns and rents out- then move in with the grandparents until she can find a safter environment for her and the lil one.
RustyMoan (1 stories) (3 posts)
+3
12 years ago (2012-07-06)
Hi,
My name is Shawn and I live in San Antonio, Tx. I'd like to help Samantha and Katy; especially Katy. No child should have to endure the horror and terror she is experiencing. I cannot imagine the constant fear this girl must be living in. This can't go on for her sake.
So here's what I suggest:
1) Find a paranormal group nearby (I've found three: one in Yellville, one in Springdale and the other is in Fayettville; I believe there's a link right above these comments);
2) Make sure that the group will actually help you (ask if the group has helped remove spirits before: i.e. Perform smudgings, recite the prayer of St. Michael the Archangel, readings from the Bible, ask also if it's possible to get a priest or reverend to perform last rites as the dead may not know that they have passed); that they're not just there to record and capture evidence (a group with a psychic or medium can help give you insight as to what/who is there and how best to deal with them;
3) Most paranormal groups don't charge you anything and I'd be wary of anyone who does.
4) If this fails then its time to go to battle! I'm freaking serious! If Samantha has Katy's best interest at heart then she may have to get into the trenches! Personally, I'd call a medicine man for their help, then a priest, and lastly, I'd ask a my friends to come over and help pray with me to get rid of this son-of-a-witch! I'd situate them in every room of the house (with the strongest members in the most disturbed places) in a circle holding hands and praying for the Light, the Love, the Grace and the Mercy of Jesus Christ to enter the heart of that house and every spirit within it. NOTHING stands up to the force of God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy Spirit ESPECIALLY when so many would gather to call on His name!
This is all the help I can think to offer as of right now. I'll be praying for both Samantha and Katy! Please, pray that she be given the strength necessary to protect herself.
Thank you for sharing this story. I have to check the guidelines or I'd leave my email. If you want to comment here I'll be coming back to it. Thanks!
Michore (30 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-07-06)
Yes, she has to get the house blessed (start with a safe room, like the bedroom, bless all the doors and windows and play ghospl/church music continuasly, the more thrilling/energetic/ happy the music the better! When waking up and before sleeping read the bible outloud, try psalms (93)) , but it won't be easy, these entities can invluance people to not act when things go bad (believe me, its really frustrating) because the only one that can do anything is the owners of the house. A priest can come into the house and bless it but if samantha does alow or agree with it, nothing will happen. It has to do with authority and such... Don't be too freaked out by the basements extra room, its probably just a darkroom a previous owner used to develop photos, thus the black walls, samll table and rope to hang the pictures. That guy must have converted it into a secret shrine (that could explain the atatchment he has to it). You'll probably need to get rid of it becuase its probably what alowing him to be there, shrines can also atract demons and evil spirits (evil spirits invluance people, like a spirit of glutany influancess you to always be hungry). These are just hints to help her out. But tell her she has to act as soon as poseble and procrastanation will only make things worse and harder. What you can do is pray for her, even if you not religous what's the harm for asking her and her girls protection? I really hope things will work out! Good luch!:)
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-07-06)
JustanotherTori,

This may just be activity stirred up from the recent stress in Samantha and Katy's life... The separation, the move... All may be contributing to any possible Haunting.

If Samantha doesn't contact you anymore perhaps you should reach out and contact her. If you do ask her if you can come for a visit on a week-end and if it's OK with her have Katy go visit the Grandparent (s) again.

If you get to visit start a log book (Journal) record any 'odd' events that happen during your week-end, help her research the home... News reports at the Library for that address in the 1970's it should be (fairly) easy to find as a murder / suicide would have made the news.

You may also suggest this Cleansing and Shielding Method...

Recipe for a Home Cleansing/Shielding... (allow for two or 3 days to complete)

Day one: Open all curtains window and doors with screens installed, let fresh air and sunshine into the home. Have all closets, cabinets and other 'dark spaces' open so that as much natural light as possible can enter those spaces. After 2-3 hours take a broom and 'sweep' out each room (this is symbolic and you do not have to really sweep) focus your thoughts on sweeping (pushing) out all negative energies / entities /thoughts. Close home up after completing each room of your home... Please do not forget your garage if you have one. (Optional) Light incense (sandalwood or Dragons-blood works well for me) and let aroma fill the home, and/or play a tape that contains your favorite Church/Positive, Upbeat (songs that give you good thoughts) songs before you begin sweeping.

Day two (or three): Once again open all curtains, windows and doors. Take a White candle (Optional) to the center most point of the home, sit on the floor and place candle in front of you. Light the candle (visualize a white ball of light) and then focus on the flame... Visualize the flame (white light) filled with positive thoughts, energy. (Say a prayer at this time if you so desire... Ask for cleansing positive energy to fill the candles flame/white light). Hold this 'image' in your mind and then visualize the flame (light) slowly expanding outward, visualize it filling the room your in, every corner and 'dark space'. Continue to visualize it expanding...it's outer edges pushing away (burning away) any and all negative energies/entities out and away from each room in your home. Once you have visualized this flame (light) filling your entire home, picture it expanding to your property lines. Hold this image in your mind for a few moments then visualize 'anchoring' this flame (light) where you are sitting which is the center most point of your home. Once you have done this. Take a deep breath, relax a few moments and then blow out the candle. (If you didn't use a candle just let yourself relax a moment or two.) "

Now you can create a shield for yourself using the 'home shield' technique but instead of focusing on your home visualize the 'flame' simply surrounding you instead of your home... Best time to do this is after a nice shower using a rosemary scented soap (rosemary is good for purification and protection.)

I hope this advice helps, please ask any questions you may have but I have to make a couple of observations...

As 'scary' as this 'experience' sounds I'm 'On the Fence' with it and here's why...

1st: The Foggy hand print in the Bathroom... I can believe one was seen... What was done to debunk this? If Samantha had only been in the house a short amount of time she may have just noticed a cleaners hand print for the first time... With her nerves already on edge she may have 'attributed' this to something paranormal... Unless of course it was in an 'obvious place' on the glass.

2nd: The 'locked hidden room' in the basement. It's not easy to believe that items from the former owners were still in the basement, especially if it's now being used as a rental property. Add to this the fact that the 'locked hidden room' is painted black. Not to be rude but this sounds as if it's a 'Plot Point' in a Horror Movie...

3rd: Much the same as the 2nd... It sounds as if it's out of a Horror Movie... The Cross that was hung on the wall was found hanging upside down. Again I mean no offence, but 'movie cliches' just 'bother' me... BESIDES the 'inverted cross' is actually the Cross of St. Peter (there is one on the Popes Throne (or' St. Peter's Chair). A better explanation for it is this...

The Petrine Cross (or in 'basic terms' Peter's Cross) is an inverted Latin cross traditionally used as a Christian symbol, but in recent times also used widely as an anti-Christ symbol, a meaning which is not valid with respect to traditional conventions of Christian symbolism.

So once again...'modern times'...or perhaps 'movie magic' has promoted a 'myth' into 'factual' status.

I've rambled. Sorry about that. I hope the O/P returns and addresses my questions/points.

Respectfully,

Rook
Bluerose19 (3 stories) (164 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-07-06)
I feel the safest thing would be to leave the house right away! Well who know's what may happen next- Samantha and katy might get harmed also!
thesimoneau6 (1 stories) (9 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-05)
Samantha Is going through a very rough time. Whatever is in that house, is not settled. It is molevalent and could do lots of harm. She should consult with a priest to get her house, her daughter, and herself blessed because the entity could latch onto her and just go with her wherever she goes, doing harm all the time. Also, If Samantha hasn't seen what Katy has, it is very possible that her daughter could have a great gift that god gave her. She could be a very strong medium if she could see that man, that clearly, and even hear him. Also Get a priest FAST! I have researched the upside down cross for you, it is a sign of satanism. Deffinately tell her to get a priest ASAP! Also let her know that this entity will most likely not leave peacefully. It will fight to stay in until it is overcome. Help Katy and Samantha get through this. Best of Luck to all of you! 🤔
H2olily (5 stories) (158 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-07-05)
Having the house blessed was a good idea. Any g-dly man or woman worth their salt would be happy to come over and do it, maybe with some oil. Samantha should seriously think about having it done, soon. She could have a radio tuned to a religious station (or play recorded hymns) and leave an open bible or two around. Rescind and revoke the rights of any and all evil entities or spirits to inhabit that home. Sorry if religious stuff bothers anyone, but any entity that would stoop to threaten and intimidate a helpless little girl and her mommy is just a cowardly low-down unspeakable as far as I'm concerned.
BunnyPanda (guest)
+1
12 years ago (2012-07-05)
I felt bad for Samantha going through a rough life. I mean, she just got divorced and the ghost had to jump in to make it even worser for her. I kind of had something happened to me too. Like I would go to the basement to grab something to drink and come back to the living room without locking the door. But when I reach the basement the second time, the door is locked. Best thing for Samantha to do is find a house/apartment that is not built in the late centuries ASAP! Thanks for sharing and hope the ghost doesn't follow them if they move.
vantresa (8 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-07-05)
First off i'm sorry your friend is going through this, once I started reading this story I couldn't stop. Please tell Samantha that nothing to good will end if she stays, she has already had a vision of what happened there and there is no telling what went on in that basement. For her daughter to see semi the same that's not good! Sometimes places just have that evil in them and refuse to go away, getting it blessed may help but if it doesn't pack up and move quickly. Please make sure to take precautions so it does not follow her either.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: