You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Starting At Ihop

Real Ghost Stories

Starting At Ihop

 

My wife and I were about to go to a friend's place but since we hadn't eaten dinner, we decided to stop at the IHOP, in Ankeny, IA. It was about 7 pm. I forget what month but it was somewhere between March-May and it was a beautiful day. The sun was shining brightly and the IHOP was busy and full of other individuals. We've been to this IHOP a number of times but nothing unusual has ever happened... Until this night.

We were chatting, nothing out of the ordinary. I was served with two plates, one plate with my pancakes and the other with my main dish. My wife was served her pancake dish and the server let us know that it would be a few minutes for her main dish. We dug-in and after a few minutes, when we both acquired our main dishes, we pushed our pancakes aside. Pushing our plates or even the wet-from-condensation glasses was a difficult feat because the table was so incredibly sticky (ever hear of soap IHOP?) that it took a decent amount of effort to push something across the table to one another.

We were facing one another, both eating our main dishes. Our pancake plates beside each of us. Out of my peripheral vision, I could see the entire table and quite a bit of the restaurant... As we were eating our main dishes (about 5 minutes into eating), my wife's pancake plate moved in a diagonal, straight line. Immediately after, we both looked up with a WTF face and asked if the other saw what had just happened. We both saw what happened and we were both so surprised and confused as to what just happened that it was the only thing we could talk about for days. The plate was perfectly still and untouched, the table was incredibly sticky, the plate's bottom was dry, and the plate suddenly moved about eight inches in a perfectly straight line, diagonally from my wife.

Up to this moment, this was definitely the weirdest thing to have happened to either of us but more was soon to follow. After we left, we went to our friend's and let them know what happened. Not surprisingly, we were met with a bit of skepticism.

The next night, we decided to "test our luck", so we decided to once again eat at IHOP. Nothing CONVINCING happened but when I spoke of what happened the night before, the ice and straw in my cup moved around... Ice melting?...needless to say, it was likely nothing.

For the next couple of months, we heard noises in our apartment that definitely didn't sound like the guy above us. We would hear knocks and other bizarre/unusual noises that we didn't notice before. Still, nothing as concrete as the first IHOP experience occurred.

Although, my wife was sleeping and while I was playing on my IPAD, she declares, "Tell that woman to get out of our closet". I said, "What are you talking about?" thinking that she is woke up and was talking nonsense. She said again, "TELL THAT WOMAN TO GET OUT OF OUR CLOSET!" At this point, I was freaked and woke her up but she didn't know what she said.

Because of the "weird" occurrences, we decided to do a smudging (sage) on our apartment. Her mother came over, on a Sunday, so it was the three of us in our apartment. The AC, furnace, fans, EVERYTHING (except lights) were off and at this point, the windows were closed and all doors were opened. As her mother and I were sitting on the couch, my wife was in the bedroom. We could hear her attempting to light the stick of sage when suddenly the door to our bedroom SLAMS! After this was over, I attempted to slam the door with my feet but I couldn't match the force that was applied to the door...

The door slammed and we ran to her side. We opened all windows and covered every cubic inch of the apartment. No occurrences have happened since but I can't get it out of my mind that I wake-up every night, at the same time. I have been waking-up at about the same time since we did the smudging. I never know what time it is because I will be too out of it to care to check and there is a very "off" feeling about things, so I try to just go back to sleep. Nothing has ever happened at night but EVERY night, I wake-up at the same time. Since I never look at the clock, I'd have to guess that I wake-up around 2-3 am.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Iowa

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, mwbddh2, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

mwbddh2 (1 stories) (2 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-12-20)
Hey everyone, thanks for the comments. I'll try to answer everyone's questions/comments but let me know if I skipped something.

I don't KNOW that I wake up at the exact same time every night but it is within the 1-3 am time frame because it's around the beginning of madrugada. This could be my internal clock and it shouldn't be ruled-out but I've always been a relatively deep sleeper.

My mother's biological father passed away around this time. I'm not certain but I think it was withing two to four weeks of the IHOP encounter. We are not close to her biological family and we didn't even get a chance to go to the funeral because they (biological family) didn't inform us until late. I thought this could be him but, if so, how very rude and inconsiderate to come in death but never in life.

I didn't mention in my original post but during this period, my wife and I were having reoccurring nightmares that were nearly identical. Call it coincidence but that's questionable considering everything else that had occurred.

Christine, I'm also as curious as the others. Neither my wife nor I know a guy or girl who has been in an automobile accident and either perished or was in an accident when another perished.

Still nothing new has happened and thank Jebus.
Shlain (13 stories) (246 posts)
-1
11 years ago (2012-12-11)
Cristine... Curiouser and curiouser...

You're insights are extensive. Clearly you're a gifted lady! Is this info something you see in your mind or did this entity communicate with you?

Shlain ❤
Gary25 (10 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-12-10)
A story that has the title "Started at iHop" made me think that the story would be a joke. I'm glad that wasn't the case. 😁
beautifuleden (2 stories) (66 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2012-12-10)
cristine, I (and i'm sure everyone else on this site) am very interested to know where you gained your extremely wide knowledge on the subject of the paranormal world? You seem to know absolutely everything for sure! Also, your profile does not offer any info about you at all... Just wondering...
bizzjoe (1 stories) (162 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-12-09)
that story is after making me really hungery... I think I might have some pancakes
Cohendy (1 stories) (20 posts)
+3
11 years ago (2012-12-09)
Christine: I'm extremely curious to know how you can "guess" (for want of a better word) that much about a male entity, just reading that text.
Especially when it is clearly stated "TELL THAT WOMAN TO GET OUT OF OUR CLOSET".

Mwbddh2: I wonder if the interest you took to the odd happening in the IHOP did not somehow pushed the ghost to follow you home. In any case, the sage smudging seems to be efficient.

As for your waking up once a night at the same hour, I'll follow the others, it might just be your biological clock waking you up. Or maybe you picked up some different eating habits recently that modified your digestion cycle. (Digestion, like ghost apparitions, is at its best in the wee hours of the morning.)
zetafornow (4 stories) (447 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-12-08)
Interesting story... Must say I have never read about IHOP before in a ghost story. Anyway, it sounds as if you had something surrounding you and hopefully the sage worked. In fact, it sounds as if it has helped as you stated nothing else has happened. As far as you waking up at the same time every night, that could just be your internal clock waking you up. I usually wake up during the night also and it is usually around the same time. Unless you feel something has woken you up or there is something in the room, I wouldn't be too concerned about that. However you may wish to have a notebook around to jot down any other things that may happen to you.

Good luck, zeta.
Cristine (41 posts)
-3
11 years ago (2012-12-08)
Ghosts have no relevance to time. Ghost activity can occur at any given time during the day and the night. This ghost is a young male in his mid to late twenties and you will find that this was a car accident that he perished in with another person (female and another male) for whom I do not know if they died but they were involved in this horrific car accident. He wants to make contact with you and communicate. He wants your attention and in getting it he does things that are going to be visually disturbing. I suggest you get a tape recorder for voice phenomena and talk to him---get to know him as he might be with you for a long time. If you were waking up in teh middle of the night to a constant repetition of 1:11, 2:22, 3:33, 4:44, 5:55 or something where the digits are identical for the next three nights (which would erase coincidental activity) then I would be on the alert to to the future happenings whic are good luck omens. If you oke up at any other time three or more times in a row or sporadically such as if you woke at 5:17 am for whatever thing that jolted you to awake and look at the clock you are then being told of a time relation to that ghost. A time of death, perhaps. It is valid that ghosts become more active between teh hours of 2---4 am because that is when our material world is at a silence. People and machines shut own for the most part and there is less energy from cell phones, TV's, radios, cars, stoves (anything that produces energy is an interference to ghost energy). They carry thier own stuff and they don't want you to confuse them with somethng else that is logcal such as a glass falling off the counter and smashing--when things are peaceful is when that breaking glass has the most popularity of being supernatural.
Raftingirl (2 stories) (113 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-12-07)
mwbddh2,

I have to agree with michellerose1. Many people wake up regularly in the night based on their sleep cycle. It's not abnormal, but if there is actually something waking you up, then that is something to investigate. Is it a sound? Is it a feeling?

All these things can maybe help you determine whether it's just sleep patterns (or neighbors keeping you up with late noises) - or it's something to look deeper into.

Just my quarter of a cent worth:)

Peaceful sleeps to you!
Sue
logan (3 stories) (222 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2012-12-07)
mwbddh2,

I have to ask... How long have you lived in your current house/apartment?
Have you talked to anyone in Ihop to check if they have heard or had such weird experiences?

It might also be good to recollect if possible about your activities during Mar-May. What I am aiming at is if you guys had any body close pass away? Or if you guys visited any where that might have been haunted? Things like that... Have a think about that.

Regards,
Logan
michellerose1 (3 posts)
+2
11 years ago (2012-12-07)
How do you know that you wake up at the same time every night if you never look at the clock to see the time? Just curious.
I'm thinking you may have brought a "friend" home with you from IHOP. Hope you send them on their way, to their proper place

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: