You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Voices Of Family Members Who Weren't There

Real Ghost Stories

Voices Of Family Members Who Weren't There

 

I'm not sure what to make of the experiences me and my family experienced whilst living in our previous home, so it would be good to hear from some people that have experienced similar things.

When I was 11 my family bought an old derelict barn in a small village called Barkisland about five miles from Halifax, England. The barn was in two sections, the back half dated back to 1604 and the other 1800. The 1604 barn arch was inside the house and connected the older building to the more recent one. I mention this as this arch seemed to be the source of the sounds. Something else to mention is that the hill behind the house used to have a gallows where they hung prisoners.

The first time anything happened was when I was around 15. I was home on my own listening to music in the living room on full volume, when I heard my dad call my name from in the hallway. People tended to stand in the hallway under the arch when they got home as it was in the centre of the house and stretched over the two floors, so it was easy to tell where everyone was. I shouted "what?" back to him a few times but he didn't reply. I turned the music off and shouted "what?" again, thinking that I hadn't heard him reply because of the music. There was still no reply, so annoyed, I got up, and went to see what he wanted, but I found the house to be empty and his car wasn't parked outside. I told my parents and sister what had happened but they didn't think much of it at the time.

The next time I heard something was a couple of months later. I was sat in my room reading (which was situated in the older half of the building) one evening when I thought I heard my mum crying in her room. I put my book down and listened again to make sure I was hearing what I thought I was hearing. At that point my sister came into my room from her room which was situated next to mine and asked if I could hear mum crying. I said yes so we both went to my mums room (which was in the newer half of the building) to see what was wrong but we found her watching television downstairs and she didn't know what we were talking about.

One time my mum was upstairs in her room when she heard the back door and then the kitchen door open and then heard my auntie call "hello?" from the archway. But when my mum came out of her room my auntie wasn't there.

The next time something happened was one night when me, my dad and sister where in the living room watching tv and my mum was upstairs doing her hair. She'd been up there for about half an hour when she came down and asked us angrily why we'd been calling her. We told her we hadn't, so she sat down and told us that she'd heard us calling her and had been been shouting back for five minuets saying she was busy but when we'd continued to call she'd got annoyed and came down.

My sister heard the dog barking and crying but found him curled up asleep on the bed with my mum.

My dad's also heard me call him when I was at a friends.

We never found it to be scary because it was always the voice of somebody we knew but it was strange and with all of us hearing things it can't just be our imaginations. We no longer live there so it would be interesting to see if the family that lives there now has ever heard anything.

Thanks for reading.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Barberdavid, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

haunted_childhood (34 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-03-26)
When I was 4 years old, my grandmother & I were sitting on the sofa watching tv, and plain as day, we heard my grandfather's voice call my grandmother's name from the back bedroom. Only problem was, he wasn't even home at the time! He was out working, miles away. I will NEVER forget it! And that was the start of my haunted childhood...
Shady4u (2 stories) (188 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-03-26)
Hey there! If there is a ghost in that I house, it is definitely a very mischievous one lol. Your story was fun to read. Be good. Thanks.
-Shady.
DelzLdy (2 stories) (50 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-03-26)
Sounds to me as if a mischievous spirit was having fun at your expense?😁
zombie_killer_of_india (35 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-03-26)
Hi barberdavid,
You would be happy to know that these type of experiences occur in india but mostly at night.
As per your story the ghost wasn't harmful.
Keep posting,
Z_k_o_i

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: