You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Man In A Tailcoat

Real Ghost Stories

The Man In A Tailcoat

 

I have some accounts of being haunted by what I think is the same thing. This is the first story.

I was ten years old and my friends (let's just call them Jake, Ethan and Freya) are not believers. Me and Ethan are ten and Jake and Freya, 11. I am the only believer there and ever since I was little I have been able to sense and talk to spirits. As of now I am a medium for my friends that are believers. Sometimes I do get small visions of the past but I am not going to pretend that they are very clear. Back to when I was ten. There is a small brook that runs next to the road that leads to our close. The place where our houses and the road are used to be Appletree Farm which was supposedly haunted. So was the brook.

We were very inquisitive for our age and loved to go down by the brook. There are two bridges that I will include in this story. The main stone bridge which you can get to by the road and the other is a private one that comes from the place the old farmer now lives. We walked single file from the stone bridge to the private one. It goes across the grass strip we are on so we had to climb up. Jake helped Ethan up and they both helped me then Freya up. We walked along the bridge and saw a ditch that ran along the back of the houses. We reasoned that it must lead somewhere other wise why else would there be a bridge from the farmers land?

Although we didn't see that it had been fenced off from the farmers land. We had reached about a metre into the ditch when I said that I didn't like it and wanted to go back because it was scary. The boys were annoyed about it and I scared easily so they all had a discussion and finally they decided to go back because Freya thought it was quite eerie. As we turned to go I suddenly saw a chalk white figure in a tail coat, top hat and a cane. All completely black. "Leave now." It said. He pointed to the bridge. He looked cold and calculating and had a sort of feel to him that screamed that something was no quite right. I blinked and he was not there. Next moment Freya had grabbed my hand and the boys were in front of her and we were running as fast as we could back home.

Before any of you can ask the man was not the farmer and the farmer had no visitors that day. It is not possible for any of us to have not remembered correctly and we did not imagine it.

Other hauntings by CharyWithThePoltergeists

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, CharyWithThePoltergeists, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+5
11 years ago (2013-06-17)
Chary - since you have been reading stories on this site since you were 8 (far too young but that's my opinion), you should know that no one is exempt from negative karma points. If people don't like a comment you make, they have every right to give you a negative karma point. If I disagree with your advice on a story, I am going to give you a negative point. That's just the way it is. You are certainly no different than anyone else. I've received my share of negative karma points and imagine I will continue to do so. Regardless of whether or not we ask people not to give us negative points, that is part of being mature enough to handle other people's opinions on what you have to offer. You either take it in stride or you let it get to you. Either way, you're going to get negative points unless you stop commenting. The choice is yours.
Montyam (1 stories) (8 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-06-17)
very interesting. It may be a time slip communication but those are extremely rare. To the last commentator- it is possible to see small visions of death like I do and I am just curious to find out what these are so I can help. Hope you are ok charly.
CharyWithThePoltergeists (3 stories) (61 posts)
-1
11 years ago (2013-06-17)
Redwolf, I am not a snarky person. Where have I been downright snarky? I understand the arrows but I only call it karma because that is what the overall 'score' is if you will. I understand that I am inferior to other members but I will try to help where I can. Not all teenagers are sensitive because most children lose theirgift at around 10. I will explain a bit more of my visions in my next story. I only try to make mature comments. When I said don't give. Me bad karma for my views I meant on comments that people don't like.
RedWolf (31 stories) (1292 posts)
+3
11 years ago (2013-06-17)
Charly
I read your profile and since I can't give you a -1 karma point I am doing what you ask and commenting on it.
I am very offended by your statement that you do not call yourself a medium because that term does not apply to ''mediums''. You also say that you have small visions of death but they are not very clear and that you get a lot of déja vu as well. None of this makes you a medium it makes you a...teenager,especially when you complain that people give you bad karma for what you think. Let me clear that up for you, nobody is giving you ''bad'' karma. The up and down arrows let you know if your comment is liked (up) or disliked (down) and that is what gives you karma points.
You have a lot to learn about the paranormal. The best way to do this is to read other posters stories, ask mature questions and make mature comments. In other words don't get snarky. We adults have years of experience yet we are not too old to learn from others about paranormal experiences.
Sometimes there are posters we call trolls that join the conversations and like to cause trouble. Try to stay out of it
CharyWithThePoltergeists (3 stories) (61 posts)
-2
11 years ago (2013-06-14)
Lady-Glow, first off I'm going to say that I'm not an expert medium and sometimes I do still get scared. Sensitives do not all loose their gifts but some do until it comes back to them sometimes around puberty. Also I have not read all those stories but I will try to find them now you have said.

Thanks unsure32!
lady-glow (16 stories) (3149 posts)
+3
11 years ago (2013-06-14)
This is hard to swallow!
Did you become an expert medium in just three years? 🤔

What do you exactly mean by "...that was when I consciously started seeing spirits again because before that I had lost my gift like any other child" - Do sensitive kids ALWAYS loose their gift?

I apologize if this sounds rude, but the ghost you saw resembles the ghosts from other stories that, surely you have read before "He is the man in black" and "The Mailman", in both cases the ghost is dress in black and talks in curt, short sentences:"you are mine" and "let me in".

Do not take offence on my words, it is just too difficult for me to believe than you could go from a little ten y/o girl who gets easily scared to a thirteen year-old that has not only overcame her fears, but can act like an expert medium... But if that's the case - Kudos!
unsure32 (1 stories) (8 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-06-13)
He was protecting you from something. He put the scarey vibe into you so you guys would run off and leave, wow, cool read. 😁
CharyWithThePoltergeists (3 stories) (61 posts)
+2
11 years ago (2013-06-12)
That would be funny Amihet! Thanks for your consternation and I always make sure I know what I'm about to do. I never intend to try a oujia board and I have been reading stories on this site since I was 8.

I was talking about the spirit in that context.
I did have a vague sense that he wasn't something that you would normally see and as soon as we were away the first words out of my mouth were "I think he was a ghost." I don't even remember thinking about 'what' he was but I knew it was true the moment they left my mouth. I never thought of talking to him because I was scared. I said in my story that I scare easily and I did back then so no I didn't think about talking to him.

Thanks for your comments and concerns!

~ (Charly) ~
Amihet (5 stories) (94 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-06-12)
Hi Charly: I have just read your profile and I am sorry for spelling your name wrong in the previous post. I agree with lady-glow, please protect yourself when you medium spirits. I am surprised to say the least that you are only 13 years of age. Please be careful the paranormal can be very serious, intense and sometimes dangerous.
lady-glow (16 stories) (3149 posts)
+2
11 years ago (2013-06-12)
Charity: thanks for sharing your story.

There are few things that I do not understand about your story and would appreciate if you can explain them to me:

1) In your first comment you say "...he didn't have many visitors he didn't like being disturbed" - Are you talking about the farmer? And if that is the case - What was his reaction when your friends' parents and yours went to his house to tell him that you kids had been on his property? After all, it looks like a crowd went knocking at his door without been invited.

2) Did you sense right away that the man was an spirit? Did you ever consider talking to him?

I can imaging how freaky that experience was!

As for the fact that you are acting like a medium for your friends who are believers, I really hope you know how to protect yourself in case something negative comes your way.
Amihet (5 stories) (94 posts)
+2
11 years ago (2013-06-12)
Hi Chary: What an experience for a 10 year old to have, it is one thing when you see a ghost walking about but it is totally a more intense experience when it acknowledges your presence and it speaks to you. About his attire, I can only say that even today, people are buried in their best clothing. My father was buried in his best suite with his tie clip, hanky in the pocket and so forth. So it makes sense that a wealthy land owner was buried in his best attire with top hot and all. I have read many stories of spirits that appear in the clothing that they were buried in. So it makes sense. He probably didn't like seeing children stomping all over his land. I would love to hear more about your paranormal experience. Oh, I had a spinster aunt that was buried in her horrible cheap wig, imagine if she appears to some unsuspecting children wearing that awful wig too funny.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+2
11 years ago (2013-06-12)
Chary - I know what prejudice means, I just wasn't sure what you meant by it in this case. There are many different forms of prejudice and I was trying to figure out which "prejudice" you were referring to.

Thank you for answering my question.
CharyWithThePoltergeists (3 stories) (61 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-06-12)
Prejudice means judging people ere you become aware of the 'case' in which they are. By the way that was my own words and as I've said ere I'm often very blunt. Also you could say that a man who was prejudiced thinks that everybody is inferior to him and he is superior but he would think that only because he has no 'time' to get to know the whoms beneath him.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
11 years ago (2013-06-12)
CharyWithThePoltergeists - okay, I'm going to ask... What does that mean? "He looks very prejudiced."
CharyWithThePoltergeists (3 stories) (61 posts)
-3
11 years ago (2013-06-12)
Zzsgranny, trust me I'm wondering the same thing!

Well SmokenMirrors, you kind of figured that he was from a high ranking society and when I come to think about it he looks very prejudiced!
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
11 years ago (2013-06-12)
SmokenMirrors: 😆 For some reason, I was thinking of like a cornfield in the middle of Indiana 😆. You may be on to something!
SmokenMirrors (6 stories) (78 posts)
+2
11 years ago (2013-06-12)
I can't help but picture the man as a high class Estate owner. I don't know if this will mean anything outside of the UK but imagine Downton Abbey. Top hat, tails and cane completely fit the image.

Just a theory but perhaps a stately home Abbey once stood on the grounds of Appleton Farm, and what you saw was the one time owner that wasn't to impressed that you had trespassed onto his land.
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
11 years ago (2013-06-12)
Chary: Thank you for clearing that up 😊. Now what I'm REALLY puzzled about is why the heck would someone be dressed like that in the middle of a ditch on farmland? Do you know if there were any dance halls or theaters in the area in the past?
CharyWithThePoltergeists (3 stories) (61 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-06-11)
Our parents went with us to the farmers house to ask him and well, we shouldn't have been on the land because it is private so he wasn't impressed but told us that he didn't have any visit I didn't mean any offence to anyone and all I really want is a guess to make sure that I make assumptions in the right way. I am not going to dismiss any guesses. My style is often blunt and to the point and I am sorry for any thing that anyone was offended by.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+3
11 years ago (2013-06-11)
CharyWithThePoltergeists - you seem to already have made up your mind about why he was there, at least from what you said to PinkAngel. No one else, other than you and your friends, were there. So really, all we are doing is providing you with our best guesses, and rationalizing what we think could have been the reason you experienced what you say you did.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I do have a question, though. How do you know for sure the farmer had no visitors?
CharyWithThePoltergeists (3 stories) (61 posts)
+2
11 years ago (2013-06-11)
Zzsgranny, his skin was chalk white and he was wearing black clothes. Thanks, I didn't notice that! 😊
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+4
11 years ago (2013-06-11)
Chary: I'm going to ask for clarification on this statement: "As we turned to go I suddenly saw a chalk white figure in a tail coat, top hat and a cane. All completely black." It's not clear to me whether the entity was all black, all white, or white dressed in black? 😕
CharyWithThePoltergeists (3 stories) (61 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-06-11)
Well that could be true PinkAngel except most of the things that happened to me usually happened in the space of time that was equal. They would always happen around my birthday and usually the experiences are neutral or negative. My theory is that because he didn't have many visitors he didn't like being disturbed. That was my first experience. Also I failed to mention that that was when I consciously started seeing spirits again because before that I had lost my gift like any other child. I don't know though. The paranormal work in strange ways. I have long since learned that. Thanks for your veiw. I really would appreciate any more comments to ay least get an idea of what happened.
PinkAngel (14 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-06-11)
Hi Chary- It's very possible that this spirit was trying to protect you from an accident that would have happened if you'd all gone further. Maybe he was even an ancestor of yours; they often protect their families fiercely. From what you say he doesn't seem to be evil, or he'd probably have lured you further on for his own purposes.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: