You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: Grandma Returned To Me

Real Ghost Stories

Grandma Returned To Me

 

I have been wanting to write this for quite some time. I don't know if there's anything paranormal about this, so I leave it to the readers to judge for themselves. I'll be writing about two separate incidents, which are connected by one common thread - my paternal grandmother.

My grandma passed away around 8 pm on May 12, 2010. She had been ailing for quite a long time and had been in a coma for weeks in a hospital in Mumbai, India. I had been staying in Pune (about 180 kms from Mumbai) after marriage since June 2008 and would visit my family in Mumbai often. A few days before granny passed away, my dad called me up and asked me to come down saying granny doesn't have much time left and that she's probably breathing just so that she can see me for one last time. At that time, I didn't argue with him, but I was wondering how this could be possible, since she's in a coma anyway.

So, on the morning of May 12, I reached my home in Mumbai and post lunch, went to meet aaji (granny). I could see that she was wasting away and said a silent prayer that God frees her from this agony (Respecting the sensitivities of the readers, I'm not going to describe her condition in detail). I held her hand in my hands, talked to her a bit and then when I could sit there no longer (I couldn't bear to see a woman who had led her life in an upright manner in this condition; she was the matriarch of the family and managed the entire household after grandpa's death in 1989), I left. Since I had to be at work the next day, I left for Pune by the 5 pm bus. Around 8 pm, when I was near Lonavala, I got a call from dad saying that granny has left us all. He reiterated to me that she was waiting just for me and after meeting me, her soul decided to depart. I was left with a lifelong regret that I couldn't attend her last rites, but I did make it a point to return for her 13th day rites.

Coming ahead to the May 12, 2012. I was heavily pregnant and my estimated due date was June 23 (she was born on June 7). In my dream, my grandma came to me and asked that I give her a bath. A little background info here: before my grandma descended into coma, and before I got married and moved to Pune, I used to bathe her since she had lost the ability for doing her own stuff. So, seeing her in my dream came as a bit of a shocker. I talked about this dream with my friend, who told me that probably even she is excited about her first great-grandchild and just wanted to convey this to me through a dream. Little did I know that I would be bathing a baby daughter soon! And that this was, in fact, an indicator that she would be coming to me soon.

In India gender detection tests are illegal, so there was no way I could have known that I was going to have a baby girl. Indians believe in reincarnation and I believe that my grandma has come back to me in the form of my daughter. There are two points that make me believe in this. First, me getting that dream on granny's death anniversary. Second, this might seem a bit far-fetched, but this is what I think. My husband and I were shortlisting names for the baby - male and female names. We somehow could quickly finalize a girl's name, but could never zero in on a boy's name.

This is a sincere account and I just wanted to share this with you guys. I don't know if the moderators find it worthy of publishing, but if it is, I would love to have your feedback on this.

Other hauntings by allesgute154

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from India

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, allesgute154, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

allesgute154 (3 stories) (254 posts)
 
9 years ago (2014-10-08)
Correction: I don't know what to make of this dream*.

Sorry for the spam 😊
allesgute154 (3 stories) (254 posts)
 
9 years ago (2014-10-08)
Khili180,
Thanks a lot for your comments. I was quite close to my grandmother. She has always been connected with me even after her passing. Recently, she appeared in my dream. The dream was rather weird. I was standing in the kitchen of my maternal home. She came to me, smiling. She was wearing a black 'bindi' (dot) on her forehead. (she was a widow, but she never wore black bindi though some widows in India do wear one). So I asked her why you're wearing this. She just smiled. Bent down near the kitchen sink and reached out her hand towards the kitchen drain. There, I could see a lot of creepy crawlies and then I saw her reach out for a snake. Bam! The dream was over.

I don't know what to make of this story. Previously also she has reached out to me from beyond (like this story). Actually, my grandma herself used to tell me that seeing snakes in a dream could be a sign of an impending birth in the family (snakes are phallic symbols). I'm already a mom to a toddler with no plans for another kid. So I'm just wondering what this means. Can anybody out here help me on this?
allesgute154 (3 stories) (254 posts)
 
9 years ago (2014-10-08)
Singha2014,
I've heard that theory too. But then, a heart believes what a heart believes, right? 😊
Khili180 (3 stories) (78 posts)
 
9 years ago (2014-09-22)
[at] allesgute, I know this story is from earlier but I am new so just read it. Firstly congratulations on your marriage and daughter. Pune is a beautiful city:) as per your ajji, I really do believe in reincarnation myself. I think you are right. It might just have been her coming back as your little angel. Since you cared for her so much when she needed you most, she must be love you an awful lot:)) ) it's cute to have her back isn't it? Maybe you'll know for sure once your girl starts forming a nature of her own.
Val what a lovely comment. You always manage to make me smile:)
Singha2014 (1 stories) (28 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-09-03)
I respect your thought, but as per my knowledge and various resources. A soul access his body before six month from birth as per hindu holy book. I have found in few resources that the soul choose his mother on his own at early stage. As per your date May-12 and June 23 looks little odd.
allesgute154 (3 stories) (254 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-06-20)
Meganathan, I never narrated this story as a fairy tale. This is what I felt. I truly believe that my grandma is with me. It's okay to have your own beliefs, but you must respect others' beliefs too.
Meganathan (1 stories) (6 posts)
-1
10 years ago (2014-06-18)
I just want to say something to you all, reincarnation is not an fairy tale. I had a friend named ravi, he still knows how he died in his prebirth and was quarelling with his own mother that he had children and wife and he died while he fell into the well. Upto his age of 8 he quarelled with everyone and his mother decided to perform some ritual and now he got rid of the whole but his whole memories was not washed away but some...
allesgute154 (3 stories) (254 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-06-13)
Pragya, I'll look out for that. My daughter's just turned one. Maybe, with time, I'll come to know:)
Pragya (5 stories) (68 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-06-13)
Thats actually a heart touching story. You will also find their habits similar. 😁
allesgute154 (3 stories) (254 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-06-13)
Thanks for sharing your experience Val. Coincidentally, even I had an emergency C-section and my baby weighed 9.25 pounds. She became the celebrity baby of the hospital because they had never seen such a heavy baby!

Didos89, there are some pics of my granny as a baby back in my maternal home in Mumbai. But the house is being done up, so I'm not sure where the pics are. If I am able to lay my hands on them, I'll check for sure!
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
+2
11 years ago (2013-06-12)
Personally, I'm not sure what to think on reincarnation. I'm sitting on the fence as it were- I'm not sure I believe in it, yet I cannot see a reason as to why it could not be so. (Sometimes being me is complex. 😆)
I know that in my family we always seem to 'know' the gender of the child before birth. With my son, I had a very detailed dream that even told me his birth weight (10 pounds). The dream was peculiar because I couldn't see anything in it. It was a darkness like when you have your eyes closed in a lit room. That was explained later: he was an emergency c-section, and I was still pretty under with my eyes closed, when the nurse was telling me I had a baby boy and he weighed 10 pounds.
More connected to your story though - when my mother passed I was 2 weeks along with my daughter. Due to the breathing tubes and such, my mom could not speak, but she would sign to me with the one handed manual alphabet. I had told her that I was pregnant, and she signed back that she (my mom) would always watch over us. When my daughter looked at me for the first time, she had my mother's eyes, a very light grey-blue like faded denium jeans. For the first two years of her life she had my mother's eye coloring - and then they turned dark green. She does exhibit a lot of my mom's temperment and personality to this day - 25 years later.
Anyway you look at it- your grandmother will always be with you. 😊
Didos89 (5 stories) (17 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-06-12)
Is it possible, that you would find a photography from your grandmother when she was a child? You could compare these pics with the looks of your child...:>

I wish you Alles Gute!;)
allesgute154 (3 stories) (254 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-06-12)
Thank you Nightwolf1290 and Spectre101. All is well. My daughter has turned a year old already (how time flies!). Yes, she loved me very much because I was the only grandchild (among a total of five grandchildren) to have stayed with her for a long time.
Spectre101 (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-06-11)
That is a perfect example of life starting again! 😆 I hope all is well, and by the way, your grandma must have been an amazing person to have been born back into your family. She must have loved you very much ❤
Nightwolf1290 (1 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-06-11)
I think it may be your grandma returning to you. People can return in many different shapes and sizes! There are many signs as to why it could be her. I hope all is wel!
:)

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: