You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Who Or What Was It?

Real Ghost Stories

Who Or What Was It?

 

When I was about five years old I saw what I thought was a ghost for the first time. I lived with my parents (now divorced) in Coco, Florida. I don't know why but I was a very fearful child. I'm still scared of the dark at thirty two years old.

My dad wasn't home and my mom was asleep on the couch in the living room. I was thirsty but I was to afraid to go in the kitchen to get a drink so I tried to wake up my mom. She has always been a very sound sleeper, so even though I shook her she wouldn't wake up. I decided I was going to be brave and get a drink myself so, with all my courage I walked to the kitchen.

I stood in one entrance way into the kitchen. Our kitchen was small and led to a small open dining room. My plan was to walk through the kitchen and get a chair to stand on so I could reach the cups. Right before I was about to step into the kitchen, I saw a woman that looked exactly like my mom walk across the dining room. Her head was down and she looked so sad. She stopped in the middle of the doorway between the kitchen and dining room, looked at me and then put her head back down and walked through the wall. I was terrified. I thought my mom had died. I ran back into the living room crying and shook my mom until she at least made a noise.

A year or so ago I asked someone who said she knows a little about this sorta thing and she said it wasn't really a ghost. My dad is an alcoholic and very controlling and, at the time, was physically abusing my mom. She said it was my mom's stress and sadness that I saw.

I asked another person what it could of been and that person said that spirits take on forms that we know. I don't know who is right, but I will never forget what I saw.

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Florida

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, shavaughn, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

notjustme (19 stories) (852 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-10-02)
Shavaughn: thanks for that awesome story, gave me chills and made me feel a little sad at the same time. I agree with spirit and miracles. It's so fascinating to me these stories! That must have been terrifying and confusing. I always believed the younger we were, the more our third eye was still open. Well I hope your mom is happier now. God bless you and your family.-notjustme
valkricry (49 stories) (3267 posts) mod
 
11 years ago (2013-10-01)
shavaughn,
No one can say with any certainty what you saw. It could have been as Miracles suggests. There have been many recorded events where a person under great stress has projected themselves else where - especially when asleep. How ever, doppelgangers generally feel a bit 'off' to those who see them. Spirits who take the form of someone we know. Because of this, I tend to lean towards your Mother's stress and sadness becoming visible for a bit.
Your fear of the dark (and I could be way off here) could possibly stem from your father's alcoholism and abuse of your mother. As children we tend to blame things as the cause for sadness or 'bad' things in our lives. Odds are most of the abuse 'fighting' happened after or near dark. In your young mind it could be that the dark came to be blamed for it. If your fear seems unreasonable to you, you might consult a therapist about it.
Frances23 (2 stories) (6 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-10-01)
My mom was emotionally abused when she was a child, by my cruel grandmother. My told me once that she has memories of leaving her body in the middle of the night and walking around the house. Like her spirit would just leave for a while. I wonder if that's what your mom did? Abused people seem to separate their energy from their body sometimes. Weird but true!
shavaughn (1 stories) (1 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-10-01)
SDS,

No, I've never saw it again. It was just that one time. I have kids so I have to be brave for them. Its not easy but I do what I have to do. Like sometimes when I put my six month old son to bed I have to force myself to walk into the dark room. I try to keep my heart from pounding and to not be frozen in fear. I leave a night light on for me more then the kids. I don't know why I'm so scared of the dark. I don't know if its just a personality trait or if something happened that I blocked out.
sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-10-01)
Dear shavaughn, welcome to YGS. I think it could be doppelganger, as Miracles said. But can't be sure. But I want to ask you if you had seen it again or atleast ha d its presence felt subsequently. Yes, emotions are such powerful that could take shapes and life.

But I would like to give you a small piece of advise. Be bold. There is nothing in this world that could be achieved by being scared. Try to think like this, what it is you are scared of. The darkness is not necessarily associated with paranormal. If it is so, then every night will invite evil entities and spirits. Be bold. Because if you are scared or afraid, the negative and evil entities would draw your energy and try to embolden themselves. To be frank, I was like that until your age. Then I tried to tell myself very often, sometimes even while I was travelling or driving a bike or working that I am going to be bold, will not be afraid of dark and nothing could do anything harmful to me. It worked. It took sometime but it really helped. Just a piece of advise. Be feel bad or offended.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Regards and respects to you.

SDS
curious_sami (1 stories) (14 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-09-30)
waow that's such a sad powerful thing to go through... Peace to your family ❤... Mabe your moms spirit found that projecting itself brought about relief to the situation she was in. 😕
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+2
11 years ago (2013-09-30)
shavaughn - I think it's entirely possible that either of the scenarios you mentioned could have happened. We don't know what causes a "doppelganger" or look-alike. I certainly think abuse and the effect it has on a person could create enough energy that it could take on a "life" of its own. Sort of an escape.

So many things we just don't know.
spiritwaiting (42 stories) (843 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-09-30)
shavaughn, it could have been your mother astral projecting or out of body. Her emotions may have been so profound, they found a way of leaving for a little while. Interesting.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: