You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: What Did I See In My House?

Real Ghost Stories

What Did I See In My House?

 

A few years ago when I first moved to my current city, something really weird happened. My parents were at work, and I was walking around outside, trying to get used to the new neighborhood.

I was making my way back home and my house came into view. The front door was wide open, and I know for a fact I had shut it. I walked up close to my house and peeked through the window, and I saw someone sitting on my couch. Getting scared, I backed away from the window and got my phone out of my pocket, then I heard the front door shut.

I looked back to the window and the person on my couch was gone. I walked up to the door and opened it, looking around inside the house to check for a sign of someone being there. I didn't see anything so I shut the door and called my mother, who said she would be home soon and to wait outside. When my mom came back we searched the house and found no trace of anyone being there.

As I lay in bed that night, I was doing some serious thinking about what had happened. I was trying to come up with an explanation for it but I couldn't. As I was finally drifting off to sleep, I started to feel like someone was staring at me. I opened my eyes and I saw a really dark figure, huddled in the corner of my room. I screamed and turned my light on and the figure was gone. My dad came running into my room asking what happened, and he said it was just my imagination. I knew I was not imagining that, I knew that was what I saw on the couch earlier. No one believes my story to this day.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Virginia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, destiinyy, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-10-18)
Hello destiinyy, please do understand the point highlighted by Miracles. Perhaps that could have sent the readers to explain things from their perspective. We do appreciate that what you saw was not a figure you can't explain and it was not a person.

But without offending you, it is always better to rule out rational thinking and explanations before foraying into paranormal. That was what NorthCoastie, Dark0nix and others have tried to explain. Even they don't have the intention to demean your narrative.

However, I would like to ask you some questions. Except this incident, do you have any further development or sighting or hearing things in your house. What was the reaction of your mother to your experiences and did she have any experiences on her own. Why don't you try to investigate about the house itself, ask your neighbours if they had any such experiences or encounters. That could give you more light into your experience. Keep a diary of events, if they happen regularly. Please post it in this forum. Perhaps we might help.

But with only one experience, it is difficult to say anything further.

Regards and respects to you.

SDS
lostghostgal (69 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-10-17)
God I hate it when Parent say You Imagine things or wanted for attention. Maybe that figure you saw must had live your house before your family move in.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
11 years ago (2013-10-16)
destiinyy - I can understand why our members would think it could have been an intruder. You said, "I saw someone sitting on my couch" and "the person on my couch was gone" which would automatically lead people to believe whatever/whoever was sitting on the couch at least looked closely enough like a human being for you to refer to them as a person. You also admitted to "looking around inside the house to check for a sign of someone being there."

So I do see why these very valid thoughts and comments were made.
destiinyy (1 stories) (1 posts)
-1
11 years ago (2013-10-16)
I know for a fact it wasn't an intruder, the figure I saw on the couch was very hard to describe but I don't think it was a person. I did have a good view of all the exits of my home and there was no way anyone could have gotten out without me seeing. Since that experience, I have had plenty more in that house, but when I moved away they stopped.
NorthCoastie (4 stories) (72 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-10-16)
Momin-Helper - as my post describes, I have had experiences during my time as a law enforcement officer with people who have "lost their senses" as you put it, and what they do does not make sense. You get a crackhead break into someone's house, they can do anything, take a bath, sit on their couch, decide the refrigerator in the kitchen wants to fight them and karate chop it... The type of person who is going to break into someone's house is not always going to act rationally.
Momin-Helper (3 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-10-16)
NorthCoastie-

I believe you have a lot of valid points and to think he saw a spirit right after that incident, must have been just a shock, is also not mean. But, if you're saying that the guy must have lost his senses and just broke into the house, its a little vague. Why would a person, who has lost his senses, shut the door and disappear? If he WAS in his senses then why would he sit on the couch? There are many possible explanations to this story but we can't be sure if one's clearly right.

I believe it could be one of your friend, cousin or any relative messing with you just to scare you. But since you also mentioned that figure in your room, all I can say is, very likely, a spirit has attached itself with you. But, if you haven't experienced anything after this incident, then it really could've been a shock. And you should just let it go, don't let that incident bother you anymore!
NorthCoastie (4 stories) (72 posts)
+2
11 years ago (2013-10-16)
RoMaNzQ - you would be very surprised to learn some of the things people on drugs do when they break into houses... Sitting on someone's couch is actually not that strange! When I worked for a police department, I was on a call for a drugged out guy who broke into a house, set himself a full formal place setting at the table using the homeowner's fine china, and proceeded to eat invisible food. We found him with a napkin stuffed into his collar as a bib, gorging himself on this 5 star imaginary meal. Another call I was on was for a guy who drove home drunk, went to his neighbor's house thinking it was his, kicked open the door when the keys wouldn't work, and went to sleep on their couch! I've stories of people doing much more bizarre and disgusting things too. I was also on a call once for a vagrant going through a neighborhood house-to-house trying to open every front door. If the OP forgot to lock their door, and someone like this showed up, they'd get right in. Also, there's ways of picking locks that's show no signs of forced entry.

So IF this was a real live intruder, vagrant, burglar, etc... Sitting on the couch isn't all that strange!
RoMaNzQ (4 stories) (36 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-10-16)
It is very possible that it was indeed an intruder however I am inclined to believe that IF an intruder entered your home possibly thinking the house was empty, why would he sit down on the couch? A squatter yes! Very possible.

Have you had any other events of house breakings or vagrants loitering the neighbourhood? Have you asked neighbours that live in the area if they have had any issues with security?

Our mind is always open to suggestion and under duress, we can often see things that are not really there or even interpret shadows or noises as things that go bump in the night... Not to discredit your account of what you believe happened. All other possible explanations need to be ruled out hence the questions.

Thank you for sharing 😁
Blessed be
RomanzQ
kunwarkh (2 stories) (55 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-10-16)
The shutting of the front door makes me feel that the intruder might have heard or seen you and made a run for it.

I agree with NorthCoastie and Darkonix.
Dark0nix (8 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-10-15)
Yeah, like what NorthCoastie said, it could have actually been an intruder. Obviously it was stressful to see someone in your house that you didn't know, it's possible that maybe he was a squatter, and that he noticed you, when you looked away you were distracted from the stress, and that's when he could have opened the door and ran away. The stress than could have caused you to imagine seeing things in your room, it's natural.

-Dark0nix
NorthCoastie (4 stories) (72 posts)
+3
11 years ago (2013-10-15)
It is very possible you had an actual intruder. You saw this person on the couch, and then heard the door shut, and they were gone? Could they have just gone out the door? Did you have a good vantage point to see all of the exits of the house?

What you saw definitely stressed you out, and your vision that night could have been a result of the stress. I had an experience of someone breaking into my house once in college, and I would see things for days afterwards... Like I was hyper-vigilant, every shadow etc my mind interpreted as someone in the house.

Have you had any strange experiences since, or before? If this was the only occurrence, and you could not see all of the exits of the house to know for a fact nobody left, I would seriously consider the possibility of this being an intruder.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: