You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Pets / Animals :: Dog With Heterochromia Sees Ghosts

Real Ghost Stories

Dog With Heterochromia Sees Ghosts

 

A little back story first. I talked to a native Indian a while ago while I had my Rottweiler Husky x with Heterochromia (two different colored eyes) and he told me how his tribe believes beings and animals with Heterochromia can see the living world as well as the ghost world. I thought that was very cool but never thought much of it.

Well, a couple days ago I started hearing strange noises around my apartment mostly in my hallway, the bathroom and kitchen. Mind you, I live alone with my two dogs (Rottsky 2 years and Blue Heeler 6 months). I hear noises like the water running in my bathroom, the sound of my door handles turning, and doors closing, as well as footsteps in my bathroom/kitchen.

My Heeler, who I should point out is completely deaf, is always around me as he is very dependent and attached to me but a couple days ago he started whining very loudly and almost panicking if he was not touching me. He could be sitting right next to me but unless he was touching me he was super upset. I just thought he was being very clingy that day.

Later in the night we were all three laying in bed just relaxing before bedtime and he jumped up from a dead sleep, stared at the wall by my door that connects to the bathroom, and was barking and growling with his hackles all the way up. He then put his ears straight forward with his teeth baring and charged towards the wall snapping as if he was warning someone or something to back off but then calmed down and came back to the bed, while my Rottsky just watched intently. At that point I was very scared because there is no way he heard anything over there and there were no shadows in that corner of the room.

The next morning I was sitting on my couch with my Rottky while my Heeler was playing by the front door. She sits with her butt on the couch and her two front paws on the floor and just looks around, mostly watching Oaklee (Heeler) as he is non-stop!

Randomly she started watching the kitchen area and slightly moving her ears back and moving her head as if she was watching someone walk around. She does not wag her tail much unless she is very excited and mostly shows her emotions with her ears. Out of nowhere she dropped her ears back and started smiling and wagging her tail, she dropped her head down and watched something walk from my kitchen to my front door area where Oaklee was and right when Bonnie (Rottsky) looked the direction of Oaklee, he went into his attack mode. His bark so so high pitched and sharp as if he got scared.

I am assuming the different reactions by both dogs show that the superstition I was told about Heterochromia may just be true! Bonnie is very protective of her home and won't just let someone walk around, so I am assuming whatever she sees in my apartment she trusts; however, she gets excited when she sees whatever she sees walking around while Oaklee just feels something and gets aggressive.

It is very cool to see all this with both of them but it is also very scary. I wonder if anyone else has experienced things like this with their dogs or cats with Heterochromia.

Other hauntings by Ranaychristine19

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Colorado

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Ranaychristine19, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Violet-Tartan (8 posts)
+2
4 years ago (2020-01-12)
This makes me miss my purebred Siberian husky, desperately. My mom got her when she was pregnant with me, as a puppy. Her name was Tanya. We literally grew up together. Until I was in fifth grade. From the time I was in the womb. She had one blue eye, and one brown eye. She was a special girl. Very special. Dogs are the best.
I have my English black lab Liza, here with me today. Sometimes I feel like we don't even deserve their pure and sacred souls. Anyone who doesn't treasure all animals, is someone I know I'll personally never trust. LOL
Ranaychristine19 (2 stories) (3 posts)
+4
4 years ago (2019-11-27)
Hi MrsRamsay
Thank you for sharing your story, that's crazy! I didn't even think to look into the history or the grounds I live on now. I live right next to two military bases and Norad so I'm sure that there is some crazy history here. I'll look into that.
I'm not sure I would like to actually see something like the pictures you had taken out of my own fear. Does your dog with the Heterochromia act any different than your other dog when they try to get inside?
MrsRamsay (guest)
+3
4 years ago (2019-11-27)
Hi Ranaychristine19. I have two mixes, part border collie and part husky. They're from different litters, both gotten as rescues from my daughter's college town (the kids who love 'em when they're puppies, but can't keep them after the first couple months). The older and smaller of the two females is a buff and white colored girl with one blue and one brown eye. She'll herd anything that's running or walking fast in the house without any training. The other is a big, black and white goofball who's afraid of everything and comes running if she hears a (chip) bag crinkle. We happen to live in an area of the south that was one big battlefield during the Civil War. 240, 000 soldiers were mired in the mud during one month in 1864 leading up to the Battle of Kennesaw Mountain and the Battle of Atlanta, and men were killed in skirmishes all around in a 20 mile radius. There is an ante-bellum farm home just down the street from me that was used as a Union hospital, and our home was part of the tract of land that was the farm. The little girls who live in the farmhouse have told me they see apparitions in their home of guys with "little round glasses" (usually when they were younger elementary aged and taking naps or lying down quietly in their rooms... I was very careful when they brought it up not to lead them, they're my daughter's friends). In the last couple years, I've taken multiple photos in my backyard that show light anamolies (one taken during last Easter where there's a visible face in the light right next to the family). Anyway, I work in the yard with the dogs all the time and there have been many instances in the last few years where the perfectly happy dogs run to the door, scratching to get in because all of a sudden they seem disturbed (terrified might be too strong a word). Or where they refuse to go out into the dark at night. Of course, it could be an owl or a possum. How can we really know? (although I believe in my photos). It's possible there are some Civil War remnants... Have you looked into the history of your place? I'd love to know if you find anything!
Ranaychristine19 (2 stories) (3 posts)
+4
4 years ago (2019-11-27)
Thank you for taking time to read my story and commenting on my post,

Lady-glow,
I have always wondered that too, I have never met anyone with Heterochromia and I hope to one day to just ask about this.
The only relatives that have passed away Bonnie had not met, however I had a senior German Shepherd that had to be put down due to him being in pain with his back and hips and my sister whenever she would stay with me for the night before he passed she would tell me how he would walk up to her or by her in the middle of the night but he was always in my room with me with my door shut so it wasn't him that would walk by. I don't know if animals could come back as ghosts. I did look into this because the activity got a lot worse and that's when I realized that this all started about a week after my old man was put to rest. But a month prior to it starting a new couple moved above me and they are very sketchy and don't really interact with anyone so I was thinking maybe they had brought something. For the last week I haven't heard anything very sketchy. Bonnie will just stare off into space still but Oaklee has not gotten scared or reacted to anything for a little over a week now.

Silverthane,
I completely agree, the second time when Oaklee freaked out like he did broke my heart that's why I decided to look into this and came across this page and was hoping for some answers. I've brought it up to a couple people but they just think I overreacting and he probably just felt a breeze or seen a shadow and because he's deaf freaks out more which is not true. After that whenever I seen any of them start getting "weird" I would just take them out for a drive or take them to a park to run around just to get them away from that type of stress.

Biblio,
Thank you for letting me know all this, it was very interesting to learn, I did see about the Ute tribe when I looked into the Ghost eye after posting this story a couple weeks ago. I also couldn't find anything on the ghost eye when I looked it up. I wish I could find the gentleman again and talk to him about it. I can tell he was very passionate about this by how excited he was with Bonnie. That's very interesting about the witchcraft but that does make sense! Especially if the "Ghost eye" superstition is in fact true. I know animals could always sense things human can't but it would be very interesting if they could actually see them.
Bibliothecarius (9 stories) (1091 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2019-11-26)
Greetings, Ranaychristine19, and welcome to YGS.

Huskies are among the dog species most prone to congenital heterochromia (i.e.: the condition is inherited from a parent). My Husky had very pale blue eyes and the intelligence of an egg whisk. I'm glad she didn't have the Ghost Eye because she had trouble understanding "sit" and "stay" let alone "supernatural."

When I lived south of Denver, in Castle Rock, I learned that the Southern Ute Tribe and the Ute Mountain Ute Tribe were in the South-Western part of the state. Historically, there were other Tribes and Peoples in the area, but they were "relocated" away from assorted mining interests, ranches, train lines, etc. This was further complicated by the U.S. Government *trying* to correct past mistakes by relocating assorted Native / American Indian people to cities like Denver to better integrate them with the dominant (that is, white) society. Though predicated upon racism, this well-intentioned act did not account for where the newly-relocated individuals had come from in the first place. This, in turn, was "corrected" by the creation of an annual three-day festival in March of 1984: the Denver March Powwow. Tribal representatives & ceremonial dancers from all over the North American continent participate. Trying to guess anyone's Native American heritage in a state like Colorado is a challenge fraught with complications...

I've tried looking up the expression "Ghost Eye," which I had not encountered before, and I keep getting information that multiple Tribes and Nations of North America used the expression. I was hoping to narrow it down for you, but some of the sources I've got don't have citations for *their* sources, which is vexing.

By the way, heterochromia was associated with witchcraft in Eastern Europe, too. Not a terribly helpful fact, but historically interesting.

Best,
Biblio.
silverthane61 (4 stories) (344 posts)
+2
4 years ago (2019-11-26)
I have a soft spot in my heart for cats and dogs and it makes me supremely uncomfortable to see any animal in distress. It seems odd that the paranormal activity in your home has vastly increased in just a short span of time. Please keep your animals close to you.
lady-glow (16 stories) (3149 posts)
+2
4 years ago (2019-11-26)
Hello Ranaychristine.

I have always wondered if beliefs like this are only superstition and a way the people from the olden days had for explaining something that they didn't understand, or if there's some truth backing such convictions.

If the latter, I wonder if this would apply to humans too. I know a lady whose eyes are different in colour, one is hazel and the other one is a very dark brown.

On the other hand, it is a known fact that animals are more sensitive to the spirit world regardless of the colour of their eyes.

As for the activity at your place, though not malignant, it sounds like it went from nothing to a lot in almost no time.
Do you have any idea as for what could be causing it? Perhaps a friend or relative known to Bonnie passed away?

It has been three weeks since you submitted this experience, - is the activity still happening or has it stopped since then?

Thanks for sharing and welcome to YGS.
Ranaychristine19 (2 stories) (3 posts)
+4
4 years ago (2019-11-26)
Hello Maria,
I never heard of that either but to be honest it was so long ago I do not remember what tribe he said he was from. I thought it was very interesting too because I also never heard of it. I just remember him always calling her eye ghost eye.

That makes sense, I didn't even think about that with the deaf puppy. It scared me with him because his breed can become aggressive if not properly socialized I have taken around lots of new people and animals since I got him and he thinks everyone is his friend however seeing him get that mad really scared me.

I definitely wish I could talk to my pets, especially Bonnie. I feel like shes always in her own little world and would love to know what she is thinking.
Lealeigh (5 stories) (512 posts)
+2
4 years ago (2019-11-26)
Hello Ranaychristine19,

That's a very interesting Native American belief about Heterochromia. I have never heard that before but I am hardly an expert.

What Native American tribe did the man belong to?

I believe it is a good sign that your more independent dog, Connie, wasn't upset about what she was seeing. Your other dog, Oaklee, may have been more apprehensive because she is deaf and is aware that she is at a disadvantage.

Wouldn't it be great if we could talk to our pets? I don't know how many times I have wanted to have a real conversation with my cat. I would be able to clear up a few misunderstandings at least!

Thank you for sharing your story and best wishes to you!

- Maria ❤

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: