You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: What/who Did My Ex See?

Real Ghost Stories

What/who Did My Ex See?

 

So, this story took place in 2015 or 2016, when I still lived in Portugal.

My ex had found an old laptop that he used when he was younger and spent like a whole week trying to fix it.

One evening I decided to go into the bedroom and just relax on the bed. My ex was sitting on the couch in the living room, but could still see the doorway of the bedroom in the corner of his eye. He was trying to repair the old laptop while I was on my phone. I was facing away from the doorway, so when he sudenlly called out to me and told me what he had seen, it made me kind of uncomfortable.

This is what happend;

- While my ex was working on the old laptop he had seen something in the corner of his eye. He had looked up and seen me standing in the doorway, staring at him. But the thing is, what he saw wasn't me, but something that looked like me. The same face, same hair, same pj.

After just a few seconds, "it" turned around and walked into the bedroom. It was at that moment my ex called out to me.

While all that was happening, I was on the bed, still on my phone, not knowing what my ex was seeing. And I had not seen anything coming into the bedroom. Yes, I was facing away from the doorway, but I was less then one meter away from it, so I would still have seen if somebody walked in.

We were both kind of shocked after that.

Could that have been a doppelganger?

Or could it have been a spirit taking my identity, feeding off of my negative energy to stare hatefully down on my ex becasue of how bad he was actually treating me at times? Becasue I didn't have the courage to do it myself?

I told my mum about it, and she said it could be.

Most of my paranormal experiences happened while I was with my ex and now, soon one year after I left him, nothing has happened to me. I have not seen, felt or heard anything. My mum said it coould have been my guardien angel or her dad, but I don't know.

What do you think?

Other hauntings by Nelly93

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Nelly93, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Jubeele (25 stories) (882 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2020-03-06)
Hi Nelly93

I'll just add my thoughts into the mix here. Did your ex mention how the sighting made him feel? If it was not interactive or communicative with him, it could indicate that it was just a residual.

My impression was that your ex could have seen a living residual of yourself. Perhaps it was because he was so accustomed to seeing you there, a well-worn routine that had somehow left a residual mark. Like an energy recording left behind, appearing just at that moment when the circumstances are right.

Rook has described a living residual as: "A 'playback' of emotional or frequently repeated events that have been 'recorded' by the environment... In the case of a 'Living Residual' the playback has started before the individual who caused the imprint has passed away."
Https://www.yourghoststories.com/real-ghost-story.php?story=15625

Here are other similar experiences previously shared on YGS on doppelgängers, living residual or echoes of people still living. They haven't mentioned anything untoward happening as a result, which is good to note.
Https://www.yourghoststories.com/real-ghost-story.php?story=13776
Https://www.yourghoststories.com/real-ghost-story.php?story=13127
Manafon1 (6 stories) (712 posts)
+4
4 years ago (2020-03-04)
Socracy5--I am not trying to start an argument or offend you. What I meant by "bold statement", however, is just that. The comment of yours I quoted was, I felt, unnecessarily alarmist after the OP's feelings and comments were taken into account.

Stating that doppelganger's are "trickster spirits" and "once they find human prey they never leave them easily" are bold statements that you give no supporting evidence for. If you had a personal experience you are basing your comments on that's fine but you should state this. If your basing them on something you've read please let us know the source.

YGS is all about different perspectives but it's always useful to take into consideration how the person posting the original account felt about it. If there were no negative feelings attached to it why plant seeds of doubt? On the other hand if you had an experience with what you felt was a malicious doppelganger you should submit it as an account to YGS.

No hard feelings Socracy5--I can tell you're passionate about the paranormal and that's why we're all here!
Socracy5 (3 stories) (64 posts)
+1
4 years ago (2020-03-04)
Manafon1,

I'm in a state of little confusion as to what you meant by 'bold statements'.

I believe that when I stated that it is my personal opinion, the sole thoughts and words are to be confined to me and no one is forced to take my words into consideration unless they desire.

So for my part, in the previous post I believe to have never intended to make a 'bold statement' as I have clarified earlier.

I'm still a naive person with many flaws.

Therefore,

Please consider my apology to any such regard:)
Manafon1 (6 stories) (712 posts)
+2
4 years ago (2020-03-04)
Socaracy5--Just wanted to amend my comment to you. I do realize you state that your response to Nelly was your personal opinion but still feel if your going to make such bold statements you should let everyone know how you formed your opinion.
Manafon1 (6 stories) (712 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2020-03-04)
Hi Socracy5--You are of course welcome to your opinion but as Nelly stated herself in a comment just before yours, "...we will never know for sure if it was just my negative feelings morphing into this 'vision' or a 'guardian'. But whatever it was, I'm just happy that it happened."

As part of your reply to her you stated, "I personally would not like to assume the thing to be a doppelganger, since they are trickster spirits often malicious in their approach and once they find human prey they generally never leave them easily." As Nelly has never had another experience with this doppelganger and is happy it happened, it seems to be a bit alarmist to suggest she has a negative trickster spirit attached to her.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion here but it helps if your going to make such statements to let the reader know where your information comes from. Is it a regional belief? Did you read it somewhere? Or is it simply a personal opinion? There are many books published through the Society of Psychical Research that give many examples of doppelgangers (also known as apparitions of the living) that are completely innocuous, much like the one described in Nelly's account. These can be found easily online or by contacting the society directly.

Please understand that I am in no way attacking you but merely suggesting your comments take into consideration what the OP's own feelings were about their encounter in both their initial account and follow-up comments. Nelly was happy to have had this experience and has not had anything negative associated with it happen to her. Why plant seeds of doubt in her mind?
Socracy5 (3 stories) (64 posts)
+2
4 years ago (2020-03-04)
Manafon1,

I believe that I had stated in my comment that it is purely a personal opinion, I'm only stating my thesis of the situation rather than discouraging her view or in general anyone's perspective. It was never my intention to blatantly disregard any possible perspective upon this situation and had done it favour of the better understanding of the poster. Neither have I wanted to force my belief on anyone. Therefore, I wish everyone to not misunderstand me.

I sincerely apologise for the inconveniences.

Regards
Manafon1 (6 stories) (712 posts)
+4
4 years ago (2020-02-26)
Socracy5--Your response to Nelly was in earnest and you seem sincere in wanting to offer help but I think it's important to point out that the idea that doppelganger's, or apparitions of the living as they are also known, are a commonly reported and benevolent paranormal manifestation. Apparitions of the living are reported almost as frequently as those of the dead.

Of the hundreds of case studies compiling apparitions of the living there is no evidence showing they are harbinger's of misfortune or are in any way evil. It seems likely that Nelly's ex witnessed an apparition of Nelly and that it very well could have been created by the pent up feelings she had toward him.
Socracy5 (3 stories) (64 posts)
+1
4 years ago (2020-02-26)
Hi Nelly,

It was indeed a terrifying incident.
Still I have a few questions hope you don't mind:

Have you ever came across a spirit before in that house?

Did your ex had any past paranormal encounters.

I personally would not like to assume the thing to be a doppelganger, since they are trickster spirits often malicious in their approach and once they find a human prey they generally never leave them easily.

You have mentioned that you were in a sort of abusive relationship with your ex and the idea of your emotions being displayed in form of apparition is proper.
However, there is a thing which I want to clarify is that humans are not capable of projecting their emotions this vividly when they are alive.

They usually require medium to do it. Similar concept to black magic, people often tend to conceal their feelings of grudge, anger and hatred into a particular belonging of the person who they target at.

In case, of occult practices the medium is generally a spirit target at the person which derives it's energy from the negativity. So I believe a similar happened in your case as well.

Your feelings of contempt are addressed by a much weaker spirit since you couldn't verbalize yourself it did exactly that for you and the thing your ex saw was a mere reflection of your thoughts and hence they disappeared as soon as your ex felt it's presence.

He felt the apparition had ran into your room since you were the source of negativity at that time and after this happened the your intense emotions probably came to a halt hence the spirit feeding on your emotions too vanished.

It's only my personal opinion though

Hope this helps you to have a better understanding:)

Regards
silverthane61 (4 stories) (344 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2020-02-24)
I have read many reports of doppelgangers. If this is what it was, then it may not be a good thing. If it was anything else, then normal paranormal protocols would be in order. As for me, I hope it was a normal "haunt" as opposed to a doppelganger.
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+4
4 years ago (2020-02-19)
Nelly - If that experience set you free, then I am happy for you.

Actually I'm a bit of a graveyard freak and can spend ages wandering around, reading inscriptions and picturing the lives of the deceased. I know many people would find that overly morbid! On the whole I find it very interesting and peaceful and I'd sooner camp next to a graveyard than live with an abuser.

Regards, Melda
Nelly93 (4 stories) (6 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2020-02-19)
Hi everyone! Thanks for the comments. They are really helpfull.

I agree with all of you, but we will never know for sure if it was just my negative feelings morphing into this "vison" or a "guardian". But whatever it was, I'm just happy that it happened.

And yes, Melda, it would have been amazing if that would have happened.

Lady-glow: I think there is something in that house. When my ex was younger he saw and felt things. He told me he was pulled into a wardrobe and felt something was in there with him.
And like a wrote in the comments of an other post, the house is like 1 minute from a grave yard, so...
en_chuu (4 stories) (27 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2020-02-18)
Maybe a spirit has become quite attached to you and has appointed itself your guardian.

Thanks for sharing!
VeronicaMarie (5 stories) (106 posts)
+5
4 years ago (2020-02-17)
Wow...what an amazing story. The kind of thing that must haunt you, because it's so inexplicable. I would be intrigued to hear about what other paranormal experiences you had when with your ex, if you feel like telling them.
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2020-02-17)
Nelly - Although this is just my opinion (as with the previous posters), I don't either believe that what your ex saw was a ghost but rather the negativity surrounding your space which somehow "morphed" into an actual vision.

Pity "it" couldn't do something really scary like bash him over the head with the laptop!

Regards, Melda
Lealeigh (5 stories) (512 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2020-02-17)
Nelly,

I agree with the others. Whatever he saw might have been a product of your discord in the relationship.

For your sake, I am glad that he is an "ex".

- Maria
lady-glow (16 stories) (3149 posts)
+5
4 years ago (2020-02-17)
Unless there was a history of paranormal activity in that house, I'm inclined to think that there was not a spirit involved here. Perhaps your subconscious mind manifested the feelings that you didn't dare to speak about.

Good riddance!
Rajine (14 stories) (734 posts)
+5
4 years ago (2020-02-17)
I believe that we all have a guide that watches over us and protects us from all sorts of dangers, as you said that your ex was treating you badly I feel that maybe your "guide" presented itself to him in that manner as a subtle warning, and as soon as you broke up with him it stopped could indicate that you are safer now so there's no need to present itself in any way.
RCRuskin (9 stories) (811 posts)
+5
4 years ago (2020-02-17)
Not on any sort of schedule, but fairly regularly I will hear a voice in my head, and turn to whomever I would be with at the time and ask them what they said. They hadn't said anything, it turns out, but they were intensely thinking of asking a thing.

It has happened the other way as well, with me thinking of asking or saying something to them.

In my opinion, it doesn't have to be a ghost or spirit specifically, just really strong feelings on your part to create such an experience.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: