You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The Slave House

Real Ghost Stories

The Slave House

 

I was 12 or 13 when I went to the house locals call "Flint Ridge" in Logan County, Ky, so it was 2004 or 2005. My family is interested in old houses, so when we went to Flint Ridge, it was just another old house my parents brought me to. My parents were acquaintances with the owners of the place. No one was living in the house, but it was in the process of being restored for future residence.

I knew nothing of Flint Ridge when we pulled into the tree-lined driveway, but I had a slightly sickening feeling in my stomach just as we pulled in. The old Federal house with its narrow widows rested at the end of the drive, and an expansive lawn lay in front of it. Everything was fine, and my family and the friends that came with us chatted and looked around the front yard. It was a very old house; for Logan County, a house from 1803 is ancient.

We walked on the front porch, and someone tried the front double doors and they opened. It had not been locked at all, and the owners did not know we were coming. We walked inside and the house was a treasure; everything was as it was in 1803 and was being beautifully restored. I may not mind living in such a lovely house, but an uneasy feeling kept creeping on me the entire time, and it became stronger and stronger.

We went upstairs and there was a little room. It was a room within a room, and a little door that led to a built-out area hung open. I couldn't go in this room; something didn't seem right about it, and a powerful feeling of dread came over me.

As I walked down the steps with my father, I felt somewhat upset. I had mentioned earlier to my mother I didn't really like it here. Everyone else seemed fine.

Right when we got into the van, it happened. I burst out in a frenzy of wails and sobs and screams. I dejectedly cried and suddenly started screaming, "That house is evil! Evil is there! A bad house! That house is evil! Darkness lurks there! Demonic! Evil! Evil! EVIL!" That was all I could say, and my parents and friends looked at me in a stunned manner. They didn't know what to say. I was engulfed with an overwhelming feeling of terrible dread and anguish when I stepped out of that house. Though I felt a little bit of sadness, a force of great evil made itself known to me. It was evil that I felt, and more than anything else, if evil is too broad a word, then a great feeling of wickedness, immorality and wrong.

I was weeping as if a loved one just died in front of me. My mother tried to calm me, but it was no use. My uncontrollable tears poured out of me, and I know, to this very day, that something very dark and sinister lurks in Flint Ridge.

But that is only part of the story. As I noted earlier, I knew nothing of the house before going to it, nor did my parents. But my parents asked some locals about the history of Flint Ridge. Flint Ridge had been built by a very wealthy man in 1803, so wealthy that he also had town house in the town of Russellville about 15 minutes north of Flint Ridge's location--it is called the Washington House (in early Kentucky this is humongous wealth). This planter had many slaves. It was at Flint Ridge where not only he had his plantation, but slaves were sold and auctioned there.

The current owners of the house also found an outbuilding with shackles in it where people would have been chained to the walls. All of this information was known to me after my experience, and is only a hint to the atrocities that would have occurred there. All the torture, rape, murder, and degradation of people, as is what came with slavery.

After the fact, I also heard about ghostly experiences of others. A man who claimed to have been doing restoration work on some scaffolding on the house said he saw an elderly African American man on the front lawn. The old man carried a cane. For literally two minutes, the man said, they silently looked each other in the eye. The he jumped down from the scaffolding to confront the man, and he was gone.

Another worker on a different occasion said he saw an old cane in the very room I didn't want to go in. He said that evening the cane had disappeared.

Some ghost hunters also went to Flint Ridge one night, and as they stood on the front lawn and had locked the doors, the front double doors literally blew open as if a gust of strong wind had pushed them.

I attest that my experience is true, and I am convinced that I was feeling the horrible things that must have taken place at that house. This event disturbed me so much that I am still having nightmares about it, and I hope to never go there again.

Other hauntings by MissCharlotte

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Kentucky

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, MissCharlotte, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

mamachong (11 stories) (228 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-04-20)
lady-glow,
Thanks for the info. It's been quite a while sinse I was in school and learned that stuff, I already have forgotten most of my history.
At that age, comprehending it all was too much. But I could still see the racial tension and the effects it had.

I was born in 1977. Even though it was fading, there was still a lot of tension. That lady had to been in her 70's at the very least. I think she was probably closer to 80. Too bad my mom is no longer with me, she could tell me the lady's age.
lady-glow (16 stories) (3154 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-04-20)
mamachong: slavery in the USA was abolished in 1865; the nice lady you are talking about would had lived under the injustice of segregation that ended in 1964.
But whatever the name we call it this kind of oppression of a given group of people over other human beings is wrong and should stop... Unfortunately humanity is slow learning the lessons from its past. 😐
mamachong (11 stories) (228 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-04-19)
When I was really young... Probably the age of three or four?...I knew this lady, I think she grew up into slavery and got freed. I remember enough to know her more than just hazy or questionable memories. Anyway... I remember her cooking chicken and dumplings, at least two or three times. Everytime she went to someone's house, if they had a back door, she would only knock on the back door. Me and my brothers and sisters never could understand why she did that. When we asked my mom about it, my mom said that, that was the way it was for most of her life for that lady, because of slavery. Infact that lady got a kick out of us asking if we could call her grandma. I don't remember much else, and I could be wrong, but I don't think she had a cruel master. She was such a sweet lady.
MissCharlotte (2 stories) (2 posts)
+2
10 years ago (2014-04-18)
I believe the restoration work was something that was on and off, nothing continuous. We knew the owner at the time, and we thought we would come by the house, though they did not know we were coming at that time. (Someone else owns the house now, so of course we wouldn't go there now) Yes, the door was unlocked when we went. It seemed the restoration work was coming to an end. I don't know why the door would be unlocked.
As to the other's accounts, I cannot verify if they are true because that is not my story, but there were other stories too that I heard, but I couldn't include everything.
I actually did go back later. Because I was young, I cannot remember my parent's reasoning for going--probably to admire the architecture. My parents probably thought nothing of my reaction since they brought me along. And the second time I did get upset again. I cried on the front porch and got the same feelings all over again. And on that occasion the doors seemed to be locked. Both my parents tried the doors. Then my older brother tried, and they opened. I'm not insinuating anything--that's just what happened.
A friend of mine who had come with us also said he had really bad feelings about the place, and one time he said he couldn't go in the house.
I remember some of us went there for halloween but I refused to get out of the car. I had gotten over my reaction and didn't think too much of it now, but I didn't want to get out. My dad stayed in the car with me.
We were both in the car and ahead of us in the driveway was a white mist that shifted back in fourth in the drive's entrance. We both saw it. It was like a fog, and it moved back and fourth--it could not have been my mind playing tricks because we both saw it.
About slave masters, I believe that most masters would have been cruel. I have read several slave narratives from the 19th century, and the people who wrote their stories attest that the vast majority of masters were horrendously cruel. A slave owner in Kentucky would have been no different. To actually own another human being, someone would have to justify it in themselves that their slaves are not true human beings, and that is something missing in someone's soul. There were some "nice" masters, but those were few. I believe the words of former slaves than the perspective of the owners.
I do not know who built the house, but I have heard that the wife of the builder does haunt it.
valkricry (49 stories) (3268 posts) mod
+5
10 years ago (2014-04-18)
Well...many parts of Kentucky are still very rural. I know where my Aunt lived folks didn't bother with locking the doors. *shrug*
MissCharlotte, was that the house built by Robert Baylor? Just off of US 431S? He was married to a woman named Frances, and rumors were she haunted the place. I never heard any stories about the slaves though. But, it wouldn't have been uncommon for them to have been there. Just for the record though, not all slaves were treated badly, and not all 'owners' were monsters. Some were even viewed as 'part of the family' by both sides, and were ferociously loyal to each other.
It's possible that you felt the residual emotions of the past though.
BadJuuJuu (guest)
+3
10 years ago (2014-04-18)
Um, lady-glow, when did you take up mind reading? I wondered those things when I read this yesterday, but was too lazy to type. 😆
Anyhoo MissCharlotte, I have the same questions as lady-glow and mamachong. Any workmen leaving my house open for any group of strangers to wander into would be fired so fast their heads would spin.
lady-glow (16 stories) (3154 posts)
+3
10 years ago (2014-04-18)
I have the same questions that BJJ, plus one of my own: why would any one assume the "dissappearance" of a cane to be a paranormal fact? -Did the worker ask to the other workers if some one moved the cane to other place? 😕
mamachong (11 stories) (228 posts)
+4
10 years ago (2014-04-18)
I can't imagine the doors would be unlocked. If they are restoring the house then I would think that there would be tools left there for the next day. The other thing... It is concidered trespassing, although I have heard of stranger things, I have a hard time swallowing that your parents would be willing to partake of trespassing and such. I'm not discounting your story but I remain on the fence for now on this one.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: