You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: 115 Years Old Slave House Haunted

Real Ghost Stories

115 Years Old Slave House Haunted

 

It all started when my best friend moved to a new house right behind a post office. The first time I went there was at her birthday party. The first thing she did was tell us the story of the house. It turns out that the house was 115 years old, at least. It had slave passage ways, most boarded up, but one, the one that went through her closet and connected her room to her step-sister's room was still open. Now, this was a few years ago. I was around 10 or 11, and I'd never had a ghost experience before.

We stayed up late that night, me and around 5 or 6 other girls, along with my best friend's older sister, Codi. We told ghost stories until late, then snuck down to get some candy to last us through the rest of the night. Sarah's parents were both asleep on the couch when we snuck by, and were still asleep when we made it upstairs and crowded into her step-sister's tiny bedroom, filled with junk because she didn't live there very often. We were discussing what we were going to do for the rest of the night, when Shelly, one of the girls, declared she was dressing up as a spy and went into the bathroom.

We started to argue over what we were going to do, when we heard movement in Sarah's room next to us. Thinking it was Shelly, I went out to tell her to get out of Sarah's room.

The exact moment I stepped out, the bathroom door opened and Shelly came out. She said she heard someone walking around in the bedroom. I told her we thought it was her. When I walked back into the room, people had their ears pressed against the closet door, listening through the slave passage. But when we walked in to grab our sleeping bags, because we weren't sleeping in there after that, and the lights were still off, there was nobody there. The only living, breathing souls in that room at the time were Sarah's two rats.

Sarah moved away not long after.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Ohio

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting.

subhasshow (3 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-08-23)
I got many haunted places from Ohio. You guys can read here...
Www.ghoststoriesworld.com/haunted-locations/united-states/ohio
SpiritLady (1 stories) (4 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-03-30)
I am originally from Ohio and lived in a rural neighborhood. One of the duplex houses was reputed to have underground tunnels for slave traffic. This little burg was called Glenmoor.

I was also told by an aunt of the house she and her husband first lived in when they married. They had a small baby daughter and the daughter would scream if left in a room on the first floor alone. Aunt also reported that at night one could hear chains rattling in this farmhouse basement. This was in Lisbon, Ohio.

Another home in East Liverpool had once been an orphanage and then belonged to a doctor who kept servents and there were passage ways for servents to travel unseen through the home. This house sat on the banks of the Ohio River and it is alleged that there were netharious individuals who lived along the river.

😐
lawluck1 (2 stories) (13 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-08-27)
In case anyone reads this it is very possible the house was rebuilt or built ontop of passage ways. The underground railroad was huge in ohio because of its closeness to the south.
creepydog (3 stories) (71 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-01-20)
I don't really get it. You need to include more detail. Please re write it. I don't mean to be Simon Cowell here but that was absolute rubbish! 😢 😢 😢
Nysa (4 stories) (685 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-09)
A 115 year old house is too recent to have slave passages. There was quite a bit of underground railroad activity in Ohio so whenever someone sees an underground tunnel here they assume that is what they were built for. It is possible that an older house stood on the grounds, but in most of those cases any existing tunnels were filled in to avoid destabilizing the foundation of the new house. Far more likely is that they are prohibition tunnels, which are also likely to have some unpleasant events attached to them. And to be perfectly clear so nobody leaves with bad information, the Emancipation Proclamation & the federal laws passed after the war made slavery illegal in Mississippi even though they did not take the state law off the books at that time. Sadly there are still some slaves in America, a small number of illegal immigrants are held in illegal bondage, mostly as sex slaves. Sorry for the history lesson but I believe it is important to get theses things right. All that said, I also don't feel this was a paranormal event, just over excited senses.
moravian (1 stories) (171 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-09)
Dude, slavery ended 146 years ago. If the house was just 115 years, as you state, then there could not have been any slaves tunnels. No offense intended, need to do a little history research first.
Justly4 (2 stories) (12 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-06-03)
Ya know that happened to me too at my friend's sleepover the other weekend. It was about 7 other girls and we were down in the basement. And her little sister was in her crib in her room. Her mom and dad were in their room a sleep. And her other sister Amy was at their nans house for the night. And we were down in the basement around 2 in the morning wide awake. We all were in a sugar rush and said let's call a ghost! So we did and when me, my friend Sarah, and my bff Kori went upstairs into the hosts (which is the girl who's house I was staying at) room. We saw two spirits not kidding two spirits outside her window. They were invisible but not invisible. They looked like Indians. Since I live were the Indians lived. Wow same kind of experience, cool 😁
ToraOkami303 (1 stories) (75 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-24)
i wouldn't jump on the paranormal bandwagon here just yet.
A few questions here:
Did it happen again after that night?
Did it happen before that night?
Have YOU checked the houses history?
If so normally they say something if it was part of something historic, like the underground railroad, Did they?

When you've answered these questions THEN I will talk Paranormal with you...

Great story thou:) I could still see it happening. Just out of a kids imagination... Not paranormal.

~Tora~
katie_mccrunk (3 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-04-04)
Are you sure that it wasn't just the rush you had from the ghost stories you had been telling earlier. Maybe it was just your mind playing tricks on you after being scared by the stories.
katt1978 (1 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-08)
i would like to point out to Ohiowatha that sadly your wrong about slavery being totally stamped out by 1865. Do you relise that you could still own slaves in missisippi until 1995 sad is it not, though thankfully nobody was takeing that law to heart by then. You are right however about hearing someone in the next room, more than likely just some exiteble girls imagineing things.
Ohiowatha (11 stories) (415 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-02)
You heard someone in the next room? Sorry, but hardly paranormal material. Plus, I doubt very much the passages in this house are "slave passage ways," because (1) the house was in Ohio and slavery was never legal or accepted there, and (2) even if it was a stop on the underground railway, the house would have to be over 145 years old, about. If it's a day younger than 142 years old, it's impossible it had anything to do with slaves as they were emancipated in 1863 and slavery was totally stamped-out by April, 1865.
kathia (14 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-03-28)
what happened you were so scared with so many girls and you didn't went 4 the moment you got to check that out and write another story.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: