You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Slave In The Kitchen

Real Ghost Stories

Slave In The Kitchen

 

So my family travels to Charleston, South Carolina almost every summer. Mostly because of the heat, scenery, heritage, and southern hospitality. On the second year, we decided to take in a few tours of the old houses on the famous Battery Street. We were all amazed, especially my mom who's a big history know-it-all.

The tour ended in the basement, where the kitchen was. They told us that this is where the African slaves worked. When everyone left, I wanted to stay a minute and look at some artifacts. Suddenly, I get an uneasy feeling, as if someone was watching me. Of course, when I turned around, no one was there. Then I get a rush of cold air, which was weird because there were no windows open, and it's always hot in the low country. I didn't want to stay, I ran up the stairs as fast as I could, to rejoin my family.

When exiting the property, I saw something. There in the basement window, I saw a face of a young black slave. I didn't know what to think, at first I just stood there watching her, and her watching me. She looked so sad, as if she wanted my help, to not be a slave anymore. I didn't tell my family, I wouldn't think they'd believe me. My paranormal experience made me want to visit many other homes in Charleston, to catch a glimpse at any other spirits, and I did.

Other hauntings by Alice787

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from South Carolina

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Alice787, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

vanlewie232711 (1 stories) (42 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-11-30)
❤ I to am from Charleston and yeah I can agree the houses on the "tour" are haunted and if you ask your guide they can not tell you if any "slaves" died in that particular house but they can say that some died on the grounds in certain areas. If you want what I call the "Charleston Truth" go to the old slave market and ask the "locals" that work in the market. Maybe just maybe you can get the truth. Charleston has way to many stories and ghosts and such that it seems there are more dead men walking then "live" ones. I also suggest the Jenny house on Broad street she was an 8 year old that died in a house fire. She is Charleston's most famous ghost as she is seen every night at the house with smoke smells and her screams of help every night during the august-october months
HauntedHound (2 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-06-15)
Sorry bout that comment, wrote charlestown, it was Charleston wasn't it?;]
HauntedHound (2 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-06-15)
Hey... This same has been happening to me which is kind of crazy.

Im not kind of Paranormal type, but I do see ghosts, feel and can speak to them. I don't know how I got this talent, but recently when I was visiting Charlesstown, I was in a tour of old houses. For some reason, I saw a naked woman, her's body was full of wounds (I don't know reason) and she was looking sad. I think she maybe been a slave, which died in a accident or sumthing. She said something like "Hanna" or something like that. I possibly think that the house was haunted. I tried to connect with she, but she just dissappeared when I asked where you are from. I'm not very scared of connecting ghosts or spirits, but gotta tell this. That girl, she was scary. Never ever seen scarier than her.

Thanks for sharing this story, hope your paranormal talents grow, and you can make her continue her travel, where he is going.

(Pst, I'm only 12-Yers old, and live in finland, so sorry for my bad english.)

Love and Rockets ❤ ❤

-HauntedHound
TheNathanNS (1 stories) (44 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-05-07)
maybe she was sad because (from what I learnt from history) african slaves couldn't play couldn't take breaks and were beaten up reguraly and she might of worked in that house and tried to hide but the slave owner found her and killed her (I heard that's what happened to slaves who ran away) and that could be why she lives in the basement and looked very sad
Thats my theory anyway
nicole_cochrane (2 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-04-21)
This story intrests me, I think that the girl in the window could well be a slave, the fact that she was drawn to you means something.
Thanks for sharing your story and I would love to hear more 😁
xXelliemayXx (10 stories) (164 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-04-20)
I would love to hear about the other stories you have, that's if you have more 😉

I love this story, Have you thought of going back too see if you could say any kind of prayer for her or try talking to her and tell her she can go?

Thanks for sharing

xXelliemayXx ❤
Cort2299 (1 stories) (1 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-04-18)
I am actually a parapsychologist-in-training. Rushes of cold air tend to happen just empty placed. But the face in the window is hard to explain. Maybe it could have been just a person, or maybe a glare in the window of a person behind you. Or not, it could always be someone still hanging around.

Tootles! ❤ ❤ ❤
Alice787 (2 stories) (5 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-04-16)
Hey ❤

Thank you so much for your comments! It's very much appriciated! To answer some of your questions, I will hopefully be returning to Charleston this summer, and maybe I will see her in the window again. As for the other houses I visited, I did encounter some strange things. I will have to write some stories about them! "The Alanglade House" sounds really cool, I'll have to google it!

As for any slaves in the basement, there's none that I know of. I didn't ask the tour guide if any slaves died in there. I will definately ask next time I visit!

The ghost, as you know, looked very trapped, and sad. It looked like she knew I saw her, so maybe I'll try to talk to her. If she does, don't worry, I'll write about it!

Yes, I have had ghostly encounters when I was little, but not many, I'm only fourteen! Infact, I just wrote a story about the time that I hade an encounter with a ghost at a resturaunt! I was only nine! It's not posted yet, I'm waiting for the publishers to e-mail me, but hopefully you'll see it soon!

Thx! Alice787 😁
aiafaith1 (guest)
 
13 years ago (2011-04-15)
Oh my gosh! I am from South Carolina and visit Charleston frequently! Where were you again? I am going to Charleston soon, so maybe I will catch a glimpse of her. You said in your last sentence that you went to other houses and saw other spirits... Would you like to share those stories with us?! Thanks for sharing, I enjoyed it!

Best Wishes
~Aiafaith1 ❤
Chris004 (2 stories) (7 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-04-15)
Hi Alice787,

Sounds very creepy. Thanks for sharing the story with us.
Since your story is about "old houses" I wish to tell you (and the other people here) the following.
My wife and I (We stay in South Africa) will be visiting "Pelgrimsrus" over the Easter Weekend. This small town is known for quite a few ghosts and spirits wondering around. After doing some research on these "happenings" I found some interesting events that actually happened. There is a haunted house called "The Alanglade House". I found some serious scary stories, even in day time, happening there. We will, however, go and visit this place. Should I happen to come across something, I would really like to share it with all of you. You can google "Alanglade House" and you should find some interesting stories/videos of it. I managed to download at story about 2 couples who visited the house about 2 years ago, and yeah also over Easter. It is written in Afrikaans, but I can translate it into English.

Regards
Chris
Lilady4 (7 stories) (427 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-04-14)
What a wonderful story. I can't imagine what it would've felt like to not be able to help the Slave Woman. Did any Slaves die in that basement/workhouse?. It is sad that this woman can't seem to let go of the past.
Love & Light, Rachel ❤
Petersspirit (4 stories) (144 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-04-14)
Hi Alice787,

Thank you for this sharing. It's so sad for this spirit you saw and felt that she keeps on reflecting the last time she was. It feels like she is stuck there. You could still try to talk to her in your mind, or perhaps go back one day and talk to her telling her to let go of her past. That she not longer is anyone's slave.

Greetings,
Peter
Poppett91 (1 stories) (11 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-04-14)
Alice787

Have you ever experienced something like this in the past, maybe when you were little?
If not then maybe you will experience more things like this in the future. I believe that you would be someone who will help spirits/ghosts, you really seem like a nice person, I wish all the best to you.

Poppett91 I hope you post many more. ❤

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: