You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Battlefield Ghost

Real Ghost Stories

Battlefield Ghost

 

I am a little hesitant to recount this experience as the mere thought of it still scares me even after all these years. I am not sure if I can fully express here what I went through that day, the fear, the confusion and the embarrassment. Words sometimes cannot fully justify our experience, but here goes.

While serving in the military, I was deployed south of the country, to a place that has seen countless battles against Muslim insurgents. I was initially assigned administrative work at our battalion HQ but was rotated to a company that was often on patrol. It was in one of these patrols that I saw something that still induces fear in me.

We often received intelligence report of enemy sightings. This time my platoon was ordered to verify the report. Patrols would usually take 3 days of "humping" in the bush following any leads and updated reports. It was the second day of our patrol when intelligence came in saying that the enemy has moved out and is possibly en route to another island. We were ordered to pull back. It was very late in the afternoon but not quite dark yet when we received the order to pull out. As our platoon leader radioed for transport, we went about setting perimeter. Then a lone figure was spotted at about 150 meters away. We had to identify whether the figure was friendly or otherwise. Our platoon leader motioned for two squads to flank the figure downrange and investigate. I was in one of the squads.

As we slowly approached, I noticed that the figure seemed to glide rather than walk. I knew then it was something else other than a living, breathing being. Closing in, I saw that the apparition was not only gliding, it was actually floating, about a foot or two off the ground. It was floating slowly with no definite directions, sometimes passing close to our crouched positions. By this time I was really scared, my heart was beating so fast I thought it would pop out of my chest. What made it worse was that we all saw it.

What struck me as odd was that the apparition had no face. The best I can describe it is as if the face was "erased". Its complexion was very pale, almost translucent. At one point it stopped gliding. I looked through my rifle scope and I had the fright of my life when I saw it looking back at me with its featureless face. Every hair in my body stood and I had to fight the urge to run and scream like a little girl. Suddenly the apparition just vanished in front of us. I think every one of us were too flustered to move. We were eventually ordered to withdraw and return to the perimeter. How I didn't soil my trousers is beyond me.

We reported to our platoon leader what we saw and he said he believed us. He ordered us to prepare to move out as transport was en route. Everyone was quiet in the truck on the way back to company HQ, no one spoke a word. We later found out that each of us who were sent downrange had the same experience of being looked at by whatever it was. Our platoon leader ordered us to keep the experience to ourselves. I was silent about this until I got out of the military.

Other hauntings by Marine

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Philippines

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Marine, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Cherubim (14 stories) (245 posts)
 
5 years ago (2019-09-09)
Wow, I bet because of the trauma with loss of life there that it must be haunted. There's comfort in the fact that others saw it too so no one thinks you may be hallucinating or something. May their souls find peace. ❤
PinkChick (1 stories) (8 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-01-27)
Nakakatakot pero nakakaenjoy basahin! Sana meron kapang mashare na scary stories na naexperience mo while nasa military ka pa. Tnx for sharing! Ingat!
Shady4u (2 stories) (188 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-05-10)
Reading this story and imaging the situation in my head at 4 AM in the morning sure gave me the creeps. 😆 I really enjoyed reading your story. Thanks a lot.
-Shady.
freakedoutfreddy (1 stories) (77 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-05-10)
Wow! I always thought a gun would give its bearer a sense of security, guess that's not true. 😆
Cool story dude.
Swimsinfire (11 stories) (556 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-05-10)
So what kind of vibes did you get from this. I mean beyond the normal bat crazed fear at seeing it at all. Amazing story. Thanks much for it.
NorthCoastie (4 stories) (72 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-05-09)
Awesome story, thanks for sharing. I gotta say, I haven't met someone yet from the military who doesn't believe in ghosts. Every Coast Guard Station I have ever worked at has been haunted, and my friends from other branches all have stories from Iraq or Afghanistan or their bases. Wonder why this thing was checking your patrol out. So you saw this through your scope? Freaky as heck!
awakentaken (7 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-05-09)
This is a fascinating story. What makes it more amazing is that it was experienced by more than one person at the same time. From what you said, that the location of the sighting has been the spot for battles in the past, I get the feeling that it might have been an elemental, meaning a spirit that is formed from negative emotions and was never human. I commend you on your bravery. I don't think I would have stuck around as long to watch it disappear. 😜

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: