You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Voices Of Our Resident Ghosts

Real Ghost Stories

Voices Of Our Resident Ghosts

 

I live with my Dad in a house that was built in the 40's, the same house I grew up in. While I do not necessarily like the word "haunted" to describe it (I always associate this word with evil...it's just me) there are occurrences in this house that can only be referred to as paranormal. Unlike my brother who has been seeing, feeling and hearing strange phenomenon in this house since he was a little boy, I never really started experiencing anything until I was 18 or 19. The same with my sisters, they only started experiencing something in their teens. I guess my brother is a lot more sensitive to the paranormal.

I moved out of the house after college to join the military but moved back in after Mom passed away. I left the military to keep Dad company and started a civilian job. The first week or so after moving back into the house was uneventful. One day, coming home after a job interview, I heard Dad talking in his room. I thought someone was with him, perhaps my brother or one of my cousins. They were talking rather loudly, almost arguing but I couldn't make out out what they were talking about. As I settled in the living room to watch TV, Dad came in from the front door. I went cold when I saw him and my knees were literally numb. His bedroom is at the other end of the house near the kitchen and we don't have a backdoor, he couldn't possibly have jumped out of his bedroom window just to go to the front door - I mean, why would he do that? Even if he wanted to do that, he's too old to be jumping out of windows! There is only one entrance to the house and that is through the front door. To go to our small backyard, you literally have to go around (a real pain when you're taking the laundry out to dry!). He must have seen the look on my face that he sat down next to me and asked me what was wrong. I told him what happened. He said he was out to see a friend in the hospital. We checked his room and, voila! There was absolutely no one and the window was locked from the inside. Whatever was in the bedroom was not my Dad.

There is another room in the house where I heard disembodied voice. I would sometimes sleep there because it was the only room with air-conditioning. It used to be my sister's and what I hated about it was the dresser with a big mirror near the foot of the bed. It just spooked me for whatever reason and gave me goose bumps. Whenever I slept in this room I would be awakened, without fail, by a voice calling "Susan" (we don't know of any Susan). The voice didn't seem to come from anywhere in particular, I could hear it but I couldn't tell where it came from. Also the voice sounded faint but audible enough. It didn't say anything else other than "Susan". I tried steering away from this room but sometimes the thought of sleeping comfortably with the air-conditioning on was just too appealing to resist - to heck with the voice . The thing is, I have never heard this voice anywhere else in the house, except this room. I told my sister about it and she said she's never heard anything in this room at all. I haven't slept in this room for a long time now nor do I have any plans of doing so again. A cousin had the same experience in this room when she stayed with us for Christmas last year.

Another experience of a different disembodied voice happened the night before I left for boot camp. I was "drinking" with my cousins and some friends who enlisted with me at our small backyard. I am not much of a drinker and I shun alcohol, I was just there for the company and it was my cousins' way of "sending me out" so I obliged. After several beers and arguments, I sent everyone home (except for a cousin who was too drunk to drive his motorcycle). I started cleaning the yard, it was a little after 11pm. Dad joined me. I heard someone say, "you should not have done that..." I looked at Dad expecting him to continue talking only to see his puzzled expression. He also heard it and thought I said it. Then we both heard the voice again saying the same thing. The voice seemed to come from the small basement window. We looked and it was absolutely dark in there. The door to the basement was still padlocked when we came in the house to check. The voice was so distinctly male.

A few weekends ago, my girlfriend dropped by the house to bring us dinner. While Dad and I were talking in the living room, my girlfriend was busy setting up the table in the kitchen. When she called us over to eat, I was surprised that she set the table for six instead of three people. I was even more surprised when she chided me about not informing her that my sister's kids were visiting, she said she could have brought more food. I told her there were only three of us in the house. At first she thought I was joking. She said she heard laughing and running up and down the stairs. Who else could it be but my sister's kids - she reasoned. I told her to check the house if she didn't believe me and repeated to her that there were only three of us there. Dad and I did not hear anything!

Other hauntings by Marine

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Philippines

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Marine, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Marine (6 stories) (42 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-04-16)
Hi TalonWalt - I do agree with you, disembodied voices are unsettling.

Hi Valkricry - The times that I have heard these voices, I tried to rule them out. Then again, sometimes there simply is no explanation. These are not the only three incidence, there are actually quite a few.

Hi lostghostgal - There are a lot of activities in this house. Years ago, not long after the second world war ended, the entire neighborhood burned down - arson. This house was rebuilt to what it is now. My parents bought it after they got married in the late 70s. I have not heard nor seen anything until I was 18. My brother did have a lot of stranged experiences though.

Hi Bluerose19 - I have only one sister who is married and she has three kids. Usually when they visit their gran, all three of them would be there and they are such a noisy lot.

Hi WishfulNull - I have actually come to that same conclusion, perhaps some of these voices are residual, especially, as Valkricry pointed out, the "Susan" part. We don't know much of the history of this house. We do know that people died here, not of violent death but of natural causes.

Unfortunately I cannot glean any more info about the previous house (and the land where it stands for that matter) than what I already know. Records were destroyed during the war.
WishfulNull (151 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-04-14)
While I'm no expert, all 3 of these instances sound like residual energy of things that probably happened in the history of house, which are now being "played" back. Of course, that doesn't make it any less creepy when it happens! 😨. Best of luck to you and your family, and thanks for sharing!
Bluerose19 (3 stories) (164 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-04-14)
The most interesting part I found was the one where your girlfriend laid the table for 6 people instead of 3.Well I want to know 1 thing though- She said she 'heard' laughing and running up and down the stairs. So as she said she 'thought' your sister's kids were visiting, what made her think that there were '3' kids (not less than 3/not more than 3) when she had 'only' 'heard' them? I mean did you miss out anything in her explanation later that she might have 'seen'/'felt' '3' kids at that time? Well, that could have been some added explanation to whether your house is 'haunted' with kids and adult people's voices only, or their appearances also.
Take care.
lostghostgal (69 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-04-14)
Last Weeks ago I just remember something when my stepdad came to me ask me did I call him he sit in livingroom and I sit in sun room my mom was in her bedroom so I say no why and he say he thought he heard me called him and I say maybe mom and he say no he did ask her she say no so maybe he heard disbodies voice.
lostghostgal (69 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-04-14)
One You thought You heard your daddy I my sence is like Doppler Ganger as a copy ghost that you may or may not see/ hear. Seem like you got alots experience in that house must be the resident before ya'll move in.
valkricry (49 stories) (3269 posts) mod
+2
11 years ago (2013-04-13)
Hi Marine, interesting account. Disembodied voices can be a bit unsettling as Talon pointed out. I've heard them for most of my life. Once in awhile I can rule them out, find a mundane source for them. But there's been many times when there is no explaining it. With me, it's usually a warning or 'telling' voice, but now and then it's a bit like over-hearing part of a conversation. I tend to think that the latter (Now this is just MY opinion) might be the audio of a residual haunting. If I were to guess, the voice saying 'Susan',seems to fall into that catagory.
Thanks for sharing!
TalonWalt (3 stories) (69 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-04-13)
I know how unsettling a disembodied voice can be, so I empathize with you. Before my boyfriend and I bought our home in 2011, we were living in an apartment. One night I had gone outside to smoke, and started dancing. I then heard a female voice say, "What are you doing? Stop clowning around!" At first I thought it was my elderly next door neighbor coming back from taking out her trash. So I looked up towards the gate (leads to dumpster area) expecting to see her there, but no one was there. So then I walked towards her door thinking maybe she was looking out, but no one there. From where I was standing I could see her kitchen window, and everything was dark in her apartment. So it was not her, and no one else was around.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: