You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The Key

Real Ghost Stories

The Key

 

It was late September 2012 and my husband and I had just signed the lease to our new apartment. It was a nice little family friendly place and although it wasn't totally what I had wanted, I was still very excited.

I was happy that the landlord was letting us paint the interior with colours that we wanted. He even agreed to let us come in a few days prior to the move-in date to do the painting. He also allowed us to tear up some old carpet.

The same day I went to do the painting and carpet removal, the landlord was there finishing up other renovations as well. He finished up before I did and offered me our key early so that I could lock up that night. The apartment was relatively empty, minus some left behind furniture and decor. I placed the key on an empty dining chair and went on about my business.

When I was there alone I felt like I was being watched. It was so creepy but I figured it was because I was in a strange house at night by myself. The house was equipped with old house creeks and all kinds of outdated furniture/decor that only intensified the situation.

Finally, in the wee hours of the morning my work was done and I could get out of that creepy old house. I reached for the key. It was gone! I had to take a second glance. Sure enough, no key. Surely it would be easy to find in a relatively empty apartment, right? Even though I was SURE I placed it on that chair.

After looking for one hour with frequent trips back to check that dining chair, I had no luck. I was getting paranoid, extremely paranoid. I mean, it wasn't like it was a plush chair with crevices. It was a smooth table chair and it was by its lonesome. There was no other chair near it. No other anything near it realistically.

Once more I went back to the barren chair knowing that no key would be seen. What was sitting there as if it had always been there? THE KEY! I ran. I ran like a little baby, locked up the door, jumped in my car and hit the road.

Later on in life I would find out the previous owner of the home, a man who raised his family in this home, had passed before we moved in and, yes, we still moved in.

The stories I could tell are endless but I'll leave those for another day.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Canada

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, CADC, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

seano (3 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-06-15)
Don't want to spook you about ghosts my friend only humans. Your landlord will be only person with a duplicate so could be him or someone with access to his or your key were watching you all the time - just a reasonable but horrible thought. Sean 😢
geetha50 (15 stories) (986 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-06-15)
You are a brave woman. I would have probably run out of the place without the keys and probably not return either.

Like others, I would love to hear your other experiences.

If you don't mind, from a fellow Canadian, which part of Canada are you from?
bob_the_awesome (2 stories) (2 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-06-13)
wow, I liked that story! For some reason I was laughing when I finished it, but I understand how that would creep you out
sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-06-13)
Hello CADC, welcome to YGS. I really could feel how you must have been at that time of the hour in the night and being alone in the house. Even before reading the last line, I was just thinking then there must something more if she had moved into the house. The last line did confirm that you have more share. Please do.

Regards and respects to you.

SDS
Trix (14 stories) (407 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-06-12)
Hi CADC, I loved reading this! You poor woman, I can just imagine how you must have felt being locked up in a place and the ghost took the key. Thanks for sharing. Trix.
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
 
10 years ago (2014-06-11)
CADC - oh, my! An enjoyable read, even if I totally understand how it could freak you out. Looking forwards to hearing more.
lady-glow (16 stories) (3149 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-06-10)
CADC: did the furniture left in the house belong to the dead man?
Perhaps he just was wondering WTH were you doing in his house.

I'm looking forward to read more of your experiences in that place.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
10 years ago (2014-06-09)
CADC - I'm not sure if it's the way you told the story, or the obvious sense of humor your ghost has, but by the time I finished reading this I had a huge smile on my face.

I'm looking forward to more of your stories if you are willing to share them 😊 By the way, I'm glad he didn't run you off LOL

Welcome to YGS and thank you for sharing this with us. I truly did enjoy it 😆

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: