You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The Key To A Better Day

Real Ghost Stories

The Key To A Better Day

 

I have had many unexplainable phenomena happen to and around me over the years. This particular extraordinary event occurred in November of 2007, Norfolk, VA, USA. My husband and I were living in a small 1950's home that we were in the process of renovating until the day we sold it and I was around 4 months pregnant with our son.

The back story on our house is that it was owned by the Gray's prior to my husband buying it in 1999. We do not know exact dates but we know that Mr. Gray passed first and that Mrs. Gray took her final breaths in that house in 1998. There was not much notable activity but occasionally you could feel a feminine presence. It was disapproving sometimes and would hover watching us when we got up to our early 20's antics of partying. On one occasion the dog door flap swung back and forth for a half an hour. Our dog Shadow was in the room with me and there was no wind strong enough to move a dog door flap big enough for a Rottweiler. It freaked me out but Shadow was calm and she was a coward so I told myself it was fine.

I owned a small business at the time and we were gearing up for the holiday season. My mother in law had unexpectedly passed a month prior and my husband was still numb. I was trying to carry the bills, a child, and a grieving husband through the retail rush. He was working construction and left earlier in the morning than I did most days.

In a hurry to get out of the house and open my store I locked my keys in the house. My husband was at work already and I needed to open my store on time or the mall would charge a fine. I was an emotional wreck with trying to work through the combination of loss and pregnancy. So, there I was standing next to my car looking up at the sky about to break down sobbing, it was all wrong. I shouldn't be shoving down my excitement about my pregnancy because my husband needed me. His mom shouldn't be dead. It shouldn't be on the brink of Black Friday. I wanted a BREAK. I just needed to get in the house and get my keys. The back door was probably unlocked but jumping a six foot fence while pregnant was a last case scenario. I started to walk back up the path to the front steps and stopped. Choking back a sob and blinking to fight my tears I looked down and there was a key at my feet. A house key. Not on a keychain. We did not have extra keys. I can't tell you if it was left there by Mrs. Gray or by Brian's mom but it was everything I needed right then. I picked it up and it was the key to my front door. The key felt like a literal symbol that there was hope and that I was not doing this alone.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Virginia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, dlerium81, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

dlerium81 (1 stories) (1 posts)
+4
3 years ago (2021-01-14)
Thank you everyone for your kind words! I'm so sorry it's taken so long to respond but I'm just returning from deployment and finally settling back in.
Tweed, it's been so long that I've lost the key. In a similar thread of finding things, I've got a tendency to find dimes wherever I go. I keep them in a jar at work and I've got a few dollars worth by now and I only realized I was finding them about two years ago. They make me smile.
MrsRamsay (guest)
+4
3 years ago (2021-01-04)
An absolutely beautiful story and one I can relate to tremendously! Thank you for sharing this.

I have had items appear similar to this. Also have literally had checks come in the mail when I thought (as a young widow raising two kids alone) that I was about to lose my mind trying to make ends meet.

We do have protectors and there are signs of that, if you just pay attention. Really nice. Believe your first thoughts, because that's usually what it is!
Mrs. Ramsay
Tweed (33 stories) (2475 posts)
+2
3 years ago (2021-01-04)
Wow, Dlerium that was something else. What happened to the key, do you still have it? It sounds like this experience really gave you a lasting boost.

I know it doesn't have anything to do with anything but a mall charging for late opening. I didn't know that was a thing. As if running a business wasn't hard enough. 😳
The_Morrighan (2 stories) (44 posts)
+3
3 years ago (2021-01-03)
That was a wonderful account about a very tough time in your life. Somebody obviously felt for you when this happened and wanted to help out. I'm glad they did.
Morri.
LightMight (4 stories) (137 posts)
+3
3 years ago (2020-12-26)
Welcome, dlerium81 ~
I really enjoyed reading your story!

I have a feeling that someone heeded your cry for help that morning; it's possible that a spirit, divine or otherwise, intervened right when you really needed it the most.

Take Care 😉

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: