You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: This Old House

Real Ghost Stories

This Old House

 

In 1972 my grandparents bought a house in South Attleboro, MA. The records show that the land was owned by a Peter Martinson and his wife Anna starting in 1890. The records also show that Peter built a house in 1902. This house was owned by the couple until their deaths and was left to their daughter Dagmar Martinson. She then sold the house to a man in 1970, which was sold to my grandparents in 1972.

Now, the stories begin with my father and my aunt Darlene. When they were teenagers they were into heavy metal and my aunt was into witchcraft. My father was just a troublemaker. There was a window in my aunt's room that led to the outside that she believes is a portal. She has seen entities come out of the window. When my aunt moved out of that room, my dad and his 3 brothers shared it. My uncle Billy, who was about 5 at the time, would have night terrors, sleep paralysis and also see horrible things come out of the window.

My uncle Kenny would hear people talking upstairs and occasionally hear the name "Anna." His daughter Hayley would start screaming at night for no reason when she was young... He would stay in the room with the window.

Anytime one of my cousins would stay over they would be afraid to sleep in that room. So we all dubbed it the "Boogeyman room".

My dad would stay there after my parents divorced and would wake up to his TV on and his door closed. He thought my grandfather would close it but he always denied ever closing the door.

There was a door leading up to the stairs that went upstairs where that room was and when it was open there was a feeling of unease in the house. When it was closed it was fine. On Christmas or Easter my grandmother would open the door and invite Anna to come hang out with the family. When one of my uncles, aunts or cousins started to feel uneasy or scared, they would call Anna and somehow the feelings would go away. There have been many many other stories about this house bit I'm not going to write a novel lol.

Now fastforward to 2013... My grandparents have been trying to sell the house for about 15 years now with no luck.

It's on commercially zoned land but is on a marshland so no one wants it... Well, they finally sold it. My grandparents went there to finish cleaning it out and when they were done my grandmother looked up and, while her eyes were tearing up, said "Goodbye Martinson family, this is the last time you will ever see us." And she took a picture of the house. When she looked at the picture there was a man and a dog (which looks exactly like my grandmother's dog Annie who is buried under the front steps) sitting on the roof and there was a man and a woman standing in the window of the Boogeyman room. I have the picture if anyone is interested.

But there is more... My grandfather had been sleeping in the house to make sure no one broke in. He stayed there every night for about 2 weeks while the paperwork for the sale went through. He decided one night that he didn't want to drive all the way to Attleboro from Rehoboth... Well a faulty wire that had been there for 50+ years decided to malfunction and the house caught fire... The one night my grandfather didn't stay there. The entire family, myself, my brothers, my grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins were there while the fire dept put it out. My brother took a picture and there was a woman in the window.

I went there the next day to check out the damage... Every room was burnt and charred EXCEPT the Boogeyman room. And it felt like you were being watched from the hole in the ceiling which looked into that room. My girlfriend, who had never been in the house before, felt uneasy and went to the car.

The sun was setting and I decided to go outside, but before I did I went upstairs and looked around. I examined the Boogeyman room and there was no evidence that any flames touched it. It was perfectly preserved... I walked downstairs and as I walked out the door I said, "Goodbye, everyone. You all watched me grow up here and now it's time to go" and I took a picture from the backyard.

When I got home I was looking through the pictures I took and one caught my eye... The one from the backyard. I zoomed in and in the back door window, clear as day, was a woman standing there and she had a sad look on her face. A look of a mother sending her grown child into the world. I have all the pictures I mentioned and would love to show anyone interested...

The house has been knocked down and the land sold. But every time I drive by I look at the empty lot and I get a feeling of ease. I remember my childhood in that house. The two little boys that would appear and play with me when I was a little boy. The endless nights of "ghost hunting" with my cousins. Daring each other to spend one night in the Boogeyman room.

And now we believe the Martinson family is now at rest. I guess they couldn't stand the fact of not being with our family since they were for 40 years. Watching my grandparents have children and those children growing up and having their own children. We all believe that Anna and Peter set the house on fire the night my grandfather wasn't there. And they all came out to say goodbye in my grandmother's picture. Peter, Anna, my grandmother's dog Annie and another man (possibly a woman in a hat [Dagmar?])

Other hauntings by theshedcrew

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Massachusetts

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, theshedcrew, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

elnoraemily (guest)
 
10 years ago (2014-07-10)
I am sorry, I don't see anything in those pictures except for windows and a house.

I loved the story though.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
10 years ago (2014-07-08)
theshedcrew - I didn't mean any offense by my comment. I was just trying to figure out how to explain why I couldn't see the woman 😊 I know what my glass storm door looks like within minutes of me cleaning it, inside and out, between my kids and my dogs 😆
theshedcrew (4 stories) (20 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-07-08)
Nobody smoked in the house, but as for smudges... Yeah there were probably tons on that window
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
10 years ago (2014-07-08)
val - I thought it was just matrixing only in this case it was due to maybe cigarette smoke that adheres to glass, or smudges on the panes 😕
valkricry (49 stories) (3265 posts) mod
+1
10 years ago (2014-07-08)
Miracles, and Allesgute,
Maybe this will help you with the lady in the door. You need to look at the 6 small panes within the door. She shows like a negative, with the pane divider running down her center.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
10 years ago (2014-07-08)
allesgute - I don't know if this will help or not, but I had to step away from my computer in order to see them. I mean literally get up from the computer and look at the screen.

I am one of the world's worst at seeing anything in pictures too. I've had people give me explicit directions on where something is (zzsgranny for instance LOL) and I still couldn't see what everyone else could see.

In this case it took me a couple of times before I could see the man and dog on the roof. After I got up from my computer, with the picture on my screen, and then I could see it from a distance, now I see it very clearly each time I look at it. But the woman in the door? Nope, can't see her at all LOL So don't feel alone, because you're not 😊
allesgute154 (3 stories) (254 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-07-08)
Loved the story. Sadly, I don't seem to have the 'sight' for ghostie photos. Couldn't make out anything in them.
sheetal (6 stories) (771 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-07-08)
Hi, theshedcrew- very creepy story... And thanks for the picture... I really enjoyed this story...
notjustme (19 stories) (852 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-07-07)
Thank you for the wonderful story and pictures. Was a great treat!
FirehouseDracula (1 stories) (7 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-07-07)
Great story theshedcrew,
The origional owners spirits obviously didn't want anyone else there after your family left. They must have bonded with your family and even though they scared some of the members. They were ok with all of you.
The photos are great. The ghost showed to let you know they'd miss you.
FirehouseDracula.
WhiteRosey (2 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-07-07)
Great read, thank you! I look forward to more stories from you in the future. 😁
MitoTakatori (49 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-07-06)
Creepy! I like how you laid out your story, it was simple, easily followed through and very clear. And also, unmistakingly, the pictures are really interesting. Though I can't see some, but I can see others. Thanks.
pjs1977 (2 stories) (48 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-07-06)
Omg that was a good story but so sad my heart goes out to you and the family. When the house burnt down I guess the ghost didn't want anyone else living there you know.
ERizzy (1 stories) (51 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-07-06)
Loved the story! Its cool they saw new family members through the years! I'm sure the woman you saw at the backdoor window misses you a lot. Maybe loved you and your families company.

-ERizzy
theshedcrew (4 stories) (20 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-07-06)
My father has been keeping up on the development of the property and he has said that the new owner is going through hell just to get permits and permission to build on that land. He says its because of the marshlands but we all know that Anna and Peter don't want a commercial development on the land.
heathonacliff (9 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-07-06)
I usually see nothing on what people call "ghost pictures" (not my thing, I guess!), but yours are awesome, I can see people and the dog clear as day. Thank you!

Also, beautiful story.
lady-glow (16 stories) (3154 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-07-05)
Wow! Very interesting story and pics.
Thanks for sharing them with us.
theshedcrew (4 stories) (20 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-07-05)
Correction... The daughters name was Dalma, not Dagmar. I was mistaken
theshedcrew (4 stories) (20 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-07-05)
http://postimg.org/image/evq3l238n/ - Anna and Peters grave
theshedcrew (4 stories) (20 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-07-05)
Here are a few of the pictures

Http://postimg.org/image/at4ro4pnf/ - picture of house in 1972

Http://postimg.org/image/nfsejxpkj/ - 6 hours before house caught fire. Grandparents said final goodbye

Http://postimg.org/image/43kj84v8j/ - House after fire daytime

Http://postimg.org/image/asq8wchud/ - original picture of roof

Http://postimg.org/image/rblire8dr/ - roof zoomed in

Http://postimg.org/image/wa2p9vedf/ - house after fire night

Http://postimg.org/image/j37gqfo0l/ - woman in door after fire
Amp21190 (3 stories) (12 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-07-05)
Great story! I would love to see the pictures that would be awesome. It's neat how they watched a few generations grow up. By the way my name is Anna:)
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
10 years ago (2014-07-05)
theshedcrew - I'm sure many members would like to see the photos you have mentioned. You can provide links in the comments section if you have them on online somewhere. If you don't already, I suggest that you do. That would probably be easiest.

And thank you for offering the photos, it's always better than having to be asked for it. People like to see proof 😆

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: