You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: Fire Chief's Ghost

Real Ghost Stories

Fire Chief's Ghost

 

Thank you people here for letting me join. I appreciate the opportunity to try to share some of the sightings I've had of ghosts since I was around 8 or 9, exactly when I'm not entirely sure. I've been reading this site since May this year and decided recently that maybe I should try and post some of my experiences.

I trained for and joined the Detroit Fire Department in summer of 1973. And was posted at Ladder 15, one of the oldest companies in the Westside of Detroit, MI. My dad and pop were as pleased as I was a 3rd Generation Fireman. They were twice as pleased when my twin Austin graduated the same day. (Austin was killed in 2004 fighting a fire in an abandoned house along with 6 other men in ladder 24).

When I started at Ladder 15, we had a great old chief called (named changed for privacy) Allan Hallows, he was a year off retirement when I started. But he was soon like another family member. He was kind, had a great since of humour and was a brilliant Lasagne Cook. He made us all feel like he cared about us, his charges. And he never acted like he was better than us just because he was the Station Chief.

About 6 months into working at the station we were busy cleaning the trucks when the Chief was checking the hoses when he suddenly went over on his side, right there in the truck hold Allan died of a sudden Heart Attack. He was buried with full honours the next week. We did all we could to help his widow Michelle and his 3 kids Susan, Joanne and R. Obert. And went about mourning the great man. It broke our hearts. But we didn't realise that Allan wasn't quite done with us just yet.

Firstly at least once a fortnight on the nightshirt Allan used to cook we would come into the kitchen to smell what smelled like Allan's famous lasagne, when no one had even been near the kitchen since lunch and they had sandwiches at lunch, no lasagne for days. And the ovens were empty and cold. There was no lasagne in the place but we could smell it clear as day. Allan had been our only lasagne cook.

Secondly, the new Chief couldn't ever Sleep in his office cot on nightshifts as someone kept him awake all night trying to climb into bed or push him out of bed. He locked the Chief\'s door and wore the chain on a chain around his neck. He had the only key and there was a chain inside the door. No one else could have got in at any time with no key. The lock was old with that decorative styled key that couldn't be easily copied. Also the new Chief wasn't the tidiest guy in the world and would often leave papers all over his desk in a mess. Often he would go down to lunch or out to a call and lock the door. When he came back the messy desk was neat as a pin, papers and folders all put up right. Some filing that needed doing done and done right. It started making us wonder what the hell was going on.

Lots of other crazy things that would happen were lights and TV left on would be turned off if left on when we went out on call (no one was left at the station at the time). The emergency calls room would often have calls answered and we'd be dispatched to calls when no one was at the station to take them and we had the calls diverted to the Chief\'s wife's house while we were out. This was before we got a new dispatcher. Allan's wife had been but retired when Allan died. It stopped when we got new dispatch officer Lorna Cassing.

Lorna got a fright one day, she was setting up for first shift (Marie Kelly and Bonnie Wells did the other shifts), and after setting up she went out to get coffee in the kitchen, she came back hearing a man\'s voice answering the dispatch. This was impossible as the door had been locked by her when she got her drink. She had the only key in the station at the time on her (the other two were with the other dispatchers at home!). She was worried and ran to the door and quickly unlocked the door, and hastily pushed it open. The room was completely empty. Only someone on the other end of the call saying thank you for taking the call! When she asked the caller who she was talking to (the dispatcher was now in shock), and the lady said "That nice man, Allan." The dispatcher was so shocked after we explained who Allan was. She was a hair off quitting until we told her about the old Chief. And like the rest of us soon got used to Allan being around. And like us liked him, as. He would off watch the dispatch when the girls were busy.

He was sometimes seen too, walking the halls from his office to the kitchen or truck bay watching us cleaning the trucks or playing pool. He hung around until Ladder 15 merged with 24 and 28. I went to 24, with my brother and became Captain. The old Ladder 15. Building was a Mechanics for a while and an Ambulance station. Then they tore it down, by then it was condemned. Now an Apartment Building stands in its place with a convenience store on the ground level.

I sometimes wonder if he is still there or if he's moved on yet. Since his wife has passed on now. And son Robert is a good Fireman too at Ladder 41 in Ann Arbour, MI. I like to think he is up in heaven at that great Firehouse in the sky. Cooking his famous Lasagne, and my Dad, Pop and twin Austin are there too.

Allan was a great man. And he deserves a good after life... All of us who knew him still miss the great Chief so much.

Thanks for reading this. Sorry it's so long.

FirehouseDracula.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Michigan

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, FirehouseDracula, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

WiniPu4 (207 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-10-18)
Thank you, BadJuuJuu. Too bad there are no little up & down voting arrows for the story 😊
Just don't understand why anyone would waste their time & effort here with fiction when there are so many popular sites catering to just that out there.
Respectfully,
Lynev
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
10 years ago (2014-10-17)
For those of you who understood my comment about Raftingirl's comment, thank you 😊 ❤
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+2
10 years ago (2014-10-17)
Normally I don't comment on the karma points unless it is completely necessary; however, in this case I'm going to.

I'm not sure what Raftingirl said to deserve -2 points but if it is because she believed the story, that doesn't deserve a negative point. Keep in mind many you have fallen for this person's stories, whether under this name or one of the many aliases.

If her comment had been on another story about firefighters, would you have given her the same negative point? 😐
BadJuuJuu (guest)
 
10 years ago (2014-10-17)
Lynev, while I fully agree with you and would love to see this story deleted, and this user banned yet again, it's out of the hands of the mods. It's up to admin to make that call, and he has been made aware of the situation.
I can only hope that this story/poster is dealt with, and that some attempt is made to prevent this from happening again.
WiniPu4 (207 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-10-17)
Normally, I would prefer to reserve my comments for contributing positivity; however, THIS takes the cake!
I also Googled MI firefighter fatalities to verify the factual discrepancies:
Http://mi.gov/documents/FSDeaths_46507_7.pdf

Can't it simply be deleted?

Very Respectfully,
Lynev
elnoraemily (guest)
 
10 years ago (2014-10-15)
Apparently, no one thinks we have access to Google, either.
valkricry (49 stories) (3269 posts) mod
+1
10 years ago (2014-10-15)
Wish-Not,
I don't get it either. There's a lot of sites that welcome fledgling writers, and just as many that focus on fiction. I guess, sometimes folks just want to 'test' how believable they are?
Jerry Bolen, the fire chief of Sparta's fire department probably wouldn't find this very amusing either.
Wish-Not (16 stories) (534 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-10-15)
WTH?!?!?!?! Seriously...

Just don't understand why someone would put so much effort. I just don't understand.

Sigh, EEERRRRRRR!

That is all.
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-10-15)
What a disappointment! I enjoyed the read, and was being gullible in the beginning. Then I thought, gosh, this is just too good to be true.

FirehouseDracula, why don't you write for a fiction site? I am sure your talents would be appreciated there.
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+2
10 years ago (2014-10-15)
This is a resurrected member. One who has been banned, has deleted a few of their profiles, and has submitted several fictional accounts all of which have been covered with the Blankie.

I know we should feel pity for one so psychologically damaged, but I don't. They've been on our radar for a long time. I don't understand how they managed to slip through once AGAIN.

I didn't even read this crap, nor do I intend to. 😠
valkricry (49 stories) (3269 posts) mod
+5
10 years ago (2014-10-14)
According to FEMA; NATION WIDE in 2004 there were three multiple-firefighter fatality incidents resulting in the deaths of six firefighters. Two Pittsburgh firefighters were killed in the collapse of a burning church; two Wood River, Nebraska, firefighters were killed in the collapse of a burning single family residence; and two Philadelphia firefighters were killed when they became trapped in the basement of a burning home. Http://www.usfa.fema.gov/downloads/pdf/publications/fa-299-508.pdf

I don't think there's more positive proof that this story deserves the BS blankie.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
10 years ago (2014-10-14)
elnora - I checked it out too; found nothing. Then I felt ridiculous for trying to verify it when I know this is fictitious. Ah well LOL
elnoraemily (guest)
+1
10 years ago (2014-10-14)
Well.

Everything I was going to say has been said.

I looked up firefighter fatalities and no listings for a firefighter dying in a Detroit fire in 2004. Since he would have been on the force for 37 years, that struck me as odd. Especially since six others died.

Nothing really seems to check out.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
10 years ago (2014-10-14)
Argette - ding, ding, ding 😆 Bless your heart, I've been wondering how long it would take someone to figure it out LOL
Argette (guest)
+2
10 years ago (2014-10-14)
I thought this was a bit too classic and cliche to be a real account.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
10 years ago (2014-10-14)
FirehouseDracula - unfortunately for all of us, your story slipped through the cracks. It never should have been published.

Frankly, we are tired of putting up with your lies 😐 Do not submit anymore stories as they will be rejected.
BadJuuJuu (guest)
+2
10 years ago (2014-10-14)
Hm, there is something incredibly familiar about your writing style. Ever been to Nashville?
Raftingirl (2 stories) (113 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-10-14)
Sir,
Do not apologize for the length of your account. It was heartfelt and a reminder of what respect everyone owes to our firefighters!

Thanks for sharing:)

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: