You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Get Out

Real Ghost Stories

Get Out

 

This is my first story on this website. Though I'm new to posting I've read many of the chilling tales on the site. There will be many more stories in the near future. Enjoy!

My father is and always was a hard working blue collar sort of guy. My father is not one to swear, let alone lie. Our family has deep ties to Native American blood and most of my family is very religious. With that in mind, this is a tale that my father had told me when I was a young boy (I'm currently 24). The chilling part is my father doesn't tell the story often, only when asked and the handful of times I've heard it over the years, it hasn't changed one bit.

The occurrence took place in the early 1980's. My father worked the graveyard shift in a plant that built all sorts of industrial furnaces and other heavy duty devices. During his shift (which he had worked his whole career), he and two others labored alone in a a very large old plant in Pittsburgh. My father used to take me with him to work occasionally (usually when the other two would call off). The place always creeped me out.

The night of the experience my father had just lied down on the breakroom floor. As during his hard shifts, he would rest on lunch before punching back in. As my father lied on the cold concrete floor he had just finished a Snickers bar (God my father loves those) when he crumbled the wrapper and pitched it to his side. As my father began to relax the light directly above him became very bright. The light became so bright my father could not see anything. Just as my father went to shield his eyes and sit up, something prevented him from doing so.

My father was thrust down on his back, pinned down by his shoulders. Now my pop is no slouch but back then he was a solid 6'-1", 215 pounds and he was, and still is, a gym rat. My Dad could not move an inch as he wiggled and fought back with all his might. Just as the struggle seemed hopeless, a deep, low, sort of 'annoyed' voice bellowed to him, "GET OUT!" My father said, "If you let me up I'll go". Almost immediately after my father said that it released him, and the light began to fade.

Without hast my pop ran out of that room and sprinted to the other end of the plant to tell his buddy. Other workers have had experiences but this one seemed to take the cake.

A few days later my father was back at work by himself as usual when out of nowhere he hears footsteps running back and forth on the roof. Now the roof of this plant is a sort of sheet metal, and the roof is about 50 feet from the ground. My father immediately stopped what he was doing and listened. He stated this went on for 10 minutes. There is no access to that roof and it was only my father and one other worker there that night to which he went to tell so it could not have been him. By the time my father informed his pal, it had stopped.

My father had few other experiences over the years but he will never forget that night. To attest to my fathers sincerity he took me to the room where it happened. I was around 9 then, it had long been changed into a machine parts room. My dad just stood in the doorway and barely let me step in. He had said that was first time he went near that room since it occurred (a good 15-20 years).

I hope you enjoyed the tale as much I enjoyed sharing with you. As my great-grandmother (who is from New Orleans) would say, "You would never go outside at night if you only knew what was out there."

Other hauntings by Yinzer

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Pennsylvania

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Yinzer, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Griff84 (5 stories) (289 posts)
 
9 years ago (2014-10-29)
Hi Yinzer. I wonder what the disembodied voice meant when it said 'get out'. Could it have meant the room, or the complete plant? And other than this, did your dad ever hear of other occurrences happening.

With the footsteps on the room, immediately I thought of a bird or some animal had gotten up there. The fact it was a metallic roof, at night and I assume a large open space, would have made the smallest mouse's footsteps seem like Godzilla was tap dancing up there.

Thanks for sharing 😊
Yinzer (2 stories) (4 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2014-10-28)
The plant still stands. There are so many abandoned mills and plants in pittsburgh. Many old railways. It doesn't surprise me that these places are full of activity. I'm not too sure how old it is but my father worked there for 38 years give or take. I have no idea how my dad continued to work there. Thats dedication to your family. Maybe him leaving that room and listening to this entity was enough to satisfy it. Thanks for posting!
buthaya (8 stories) (41 posts)
 
9 years ago (2014-10-28)
Wow... That is a scary story. Your father was Correct to get away soon. I am not an expert on paranormal and Never bothered to learn or study about it. What I know comes from my own experience. From that I say your father encountered a very powerful spirit. Light that too bright to see is to me the level of their power. And in this case it is very strong. I only seen brightness in white colour so I do not know how or in what colour can others see. The way I learned white colour does not mean a good or evil Spirit. It just power they have. Some might be able to see these lights in holly places too.
notjustme (19 stories) (852 posts)
 
9 years ago (2014-10-28)
Thanks for the story. Do you know what happened to the plant? Is it still standing?
TheCrone (4 stories) (24 posts)
 
9 years ago (2014-10-28)
My dear - there were many people who passed in those old plants. Safety was not always a priority and many of the workers spoke English as a second language. They didn't always understand the instructions. It's not just the steel mills that had deaths. I would be very surprised if there were not multiple deaths in that plant. Given that many/most of those deaths were violent and unexpected, you can assume they died with "unfinished business." I'm really not surprised he had an experience there.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: