You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: Is Thirteen My Number?

Real Ghost Stories

Is Thirteen My Number?

 

My family and I recently travelled to Queensland, Australia. I have experienced many ghostly encounters before, but this one stood out.

I was in the motel where my family and I were staying, after a long day at the beach. I was in the elevator making my way up the twenty-sixth floor. This was a different elevator, you had to scan a little tag to get to your floor, and once you've scanned it the floor number will light up. I continued doing this and looked down at the bottom of the floor numbers and noticed that the thirteenth floor was flashing. I had no access to this floor, so it was strange to see it flashing.

The elevator continued going up, I looked, and I was already on the sixteenth floor. It hadn't stopped at thirteen. I look down at the floor numbers to see if thirteen was still flashing, to my surprise thirteen wasn't even a floor number.

After that experience I asked my mum about it, hotels have never had thirteenth floors because its an unlucky number and its considered haunted. So my mum told me.

After this experience I took a mirror photo of my self at the same motel in my room. When I looked back at the picture, there was a ghostly figure in the window behind. I looked a little like my grandmother that had past thirteen weeks ago.

Since then thirteen has appeared wherever I go, in daily things I do. I don't have a fear about it but its confusing why it only happens to me and not my family. Is my grandmother trying to communicate with me? If she is (I want her to) I hope she knows I miss her dearly. If she is how can I communicate back? Comment below, I'm in need of some advise.

Other hauntings by sabbywhiteer

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Australia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, sabbywhiteer, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
+1
9 years ago (2014-11-27)
Hmmm... Well I had to wonder as I had that happen to me once. Somehow my reflection in the mirror was bouncing off the window glass producing a face. And I am glad your grandma isn't 'freaky looking' 😆.
sabbywhiteer (2 stories) (4 posts)
 
9 years ago (2014-11-26)
well valkricry it was not a reflection of anything. I double checked the room and the figure was quite freaky looking. It was a women but of course my grandmother isn't freaky looking. 😊
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
+1
9 years ago (2014-11-25)
Sabby, basically what you really want to know is if the number 13 is a sign from your grandmother, right? If you really think it is (sort of feel it in your heart, you know?) then odds are it is. The best way I know of to communicate back (and this will sound nuts) is just talk to 'the air' as it were. She'll hear you.
It's possible you are more sensitive, or she's more concerned over you then the rest of the family. It's also possible that they're receiving similar signs but not paying any attention to them.
About the picture; are you sure that it wasn't part of a reflection in the glass you caught?
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+2
9 years ago (2014-11-25)
Wow...I did not realize that everyone focused in on the number 13 and not your actual experiences.

The first few times you noticed the number 13 as well as the picture you took indicate... At least to me... That your Grandmother is reaching out to you across the veil. This does not mean every time you see the number 13 she is making contact... No what is happening to you now can be explained as this... You are now dwelling on the number 13 so you are seeing it everywhere... And your Grandmothers efforts to commuicate may be getting lost because of your unconscious focus on the number.

There are a couple of things you can try...

Say a prayer, ask that any messages your Grandmother may have be given to you in your dreams.

Set out a pencil and paper... Write some questions (2-4) that you would like an answer too then leave both out in a location no one will mess with them... Go back in a few hours or leave it overnight then check for answers.

Journal keeping: Start keeping a Journal. Record any all odd events then after about 3 weeks to a month review it, check it for patterns that may lead you to an answer.

Digital Voice Recorder: Find a quiet room where background noise is at a minimum... Start recording and ask questions... Pause after each question to allow time for 'someone' to answer then after about 15 to 20 minutes stop recording...rewindreverse the recording and listen to it... You may be able to hear your Grandmother answer your questions.

Never forget to shield yourself whenever dealing with spirits... Cleansing yourself afterwords is not a bad idea either (please see my profile for one such method).

Thanks for sharing and please keep us posted.

Respectfully,

Rook
sabbywhiteer (2 stories) (4 posts)
 
9 years ago (2014-11-25)
thankyou for all the comments, I'm sorry but I don't want to share a picture because its to personal to me. My grandmother died 13 weeks before that day on the 13th of the april which is a coincidence. None of these comments help me with my problem because I'm still haunted
troyarn (5 stories) (479 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2014-11-21)
Great story and comments. 13 isn't my lucky number, but I do know that most Friday the 13th's are actually pretty good to me.
It's interesting how different numbers are bad in various cultures. I remember years ago going to a pizza joint and they would give you a receipt with a number on it, calling out the number when your order was ready. My number that day happened to be 666.
The teen behind the counter asked if I wanted a different receipt but I said no.
The pizza was great and I'm pretty sure getting that certain number had nothing to do with any ills I've had since then.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
9 years ago (2014-11-20)
Because this subject interests me, I found this link and thought it interesting enough to share 😆

Http://www.13thfloorsanantonio.com/legend.html
Jennilou87 (6 stories) (19 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2014-11-20)
I once lived in a flat that should have been number 13 but was given number 15 instead lol. My next door neighbours lived at number 11. The flats went up in 2s but in odd numbers if that makes sense. Weird.

I consider #13 my luck number too Triskaideka, I was born on the 13th day of the month so it's never really bothered me and Friday 13th is what I call my good luck day. It's all about your state of mind.

But Sabbywhiteer is correct when the say that some hotels don't have a 13th floor for that reason. I've seen a program on TV in New Orleans, and they have stairs that lead to ceilings, doors that lead to nowhere and no 13th floor. It's supposed to confuse bad spirits. I think it's quite a good insight to human nature and old mythology and legends
TRUCK (25 posts)
+2
9 years ago (2014-11-20)
13 has been considered an unlucky number since medieval times. It is based on the date the Knights Templar were destroyed, Friday the 13th.

One reason you may have seen a 13th floor is that our minds are hardwired for patterns. You can take a sentence, jumble the letters in each word and most people will still be able to read it. Your brain has been told since you were little that 13 follows 12 and your brain can cause an illusion to fill in tha gap. As for seeing 13 everywhere it could be simply that you are noticing it more since the # was brought to your attention. Have you ever bought a car or something then suddenly notice how many are on the road?
Triskaideka (2 stories) (388 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2014-11-20)
I remember hearing a long time ago, when I was a child, that most hotels don't have floor 13. But I worked as a sales rep nationwide at various trade shows and most hotels I stayed at (including the Marriott and Hilton) actually did have a floor 13. Personally, I consider 13 to be my lucky number (hence my username here).

In Japan, the numbers 4 and 9 are considered unlucky. That makes me smirk a bit, because 4 + 9 = 13. Funny coincidence. 4, 9, and 13 are sometimes avoided numbers in Japanese hotels and airways.

I can't wait 'till I finally do run into a hotel, airplane, or even an old apartment building which skips the number 13. I'd probably take a photo real quick.

Once, when the change due back to me at a deli rang up as $6.66, the person working the counter offered me an extra penny to offset the numbers. I really wasn't concerned, but I accepted the extra penny to alleviate her concerns.

People are so funny about numbers. Hours, minutes, months, weeks, etc. Are all arbitrary measurements, anyway. I will probably never understand why people are so obsessed with events which happen to align with them.
elnoraemily (guest)
+2
9 years ago (2014-11-19)
I've always thought it was a bit Funny that hotels don't have 13th floors.

Can we see the picture?
Nightwish13 (2 stories) (19 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2014-11-19)
hm that is interesting. 13 has always been my lucky number... And yes hotels usually don't have a 13th floor... So if it was 13 flashing that is odd... If it is your grandmother do you know if 13 is of any connection with her? Besides the 13 weeks since she had passed... Also I find it interesting that you were on floor 26... As 13x2=26 could be a coincidence... But who knows...
sushantkar (16 stories) (533 posts)
+2
9 years ago (2014-11-19)
I would also reciprocate the same as figured out by ifihadyoux. Let us assume that you saw what you have written in your experience; but their are so many rumors associated with '13', you mind would have started generating negative thoughts.

Regards
ifihadyoux (6 stories) (607 posts)
+2
9 years ago (2014-11-19)
I'm thinking your mind was playing tricks on you with the 13th floor; either you saw a different number and thought it was 13 or there was a 13th floor and you couldn't find it the second time you looked. The flashing could have been an electrical error.
Can we see the picture?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: