You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: The Painting

Real Ghost Stories

The Painting

 

This event occurred prior to my birth in 1976. It is not a first hand account, so I will just tell you what my mother told me. In the early 1970's, my parents bought a small house in Nebraska. It was their second or third house, I am not sure. When they moved in, there was a painting from the early 1900's hanging on the wall of the house. It was the only thing in the house, no furniture, no appliances, nothing. My mother told me that the portrait bared a striking resemblance to my father, but as if he were an old man. At the time, my father was in his early 30's. The painting made my mother understandably uneased.

My parents took the painting down and stored it in the basement. They lived in that house for a few years before deciding to move outside of town to an acreage. This was before I was born, and my oldest brothers were pre-teens. During the moving process, they discovered the painting that had been there when they first moved in. Neither of them really wanted the painting because it unnerved them both.

They decided to put the portrait back on the wall where they originally found it. They completed packing for the move and never gave it a second thought.

Once they arrived at their new acreage, they started to unpack and move into their new house (subsequently involved in one of my other stories). When they entered the house during the move, the portrait of the old engineer was hanging on the wall of their bedroom. They were quite vexed at this occurrence. They ended up taking the painting and storing it in the attic. It has been there ever since. I have never laid eyes on it and I dread the day that I do.

Other hauntings by jailarson

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Nebraska

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, jailarson, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

jailarson (2 stories) (21 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-07-13)
Sorry, I have been away for overlong. Lots of stuff on my plate, as it were.

The house was a basketcase when my parents bought it. Just as every other house they bought, it required rehabilitation. Why the painting followed them, I do not know. It is a subject that I avoid as my mother is still sick. I admit that I have never even seen the painting firsthand. Perhaps now would be a good time to get rid of the damned thing, as my mother is afflicted with a strange bacterial infection that the doctors can't seem to cure.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-24)
Hi Jailorson (anything to that name?)
This portrait, is it a painting that the engineer posed for? Sorry, I did not read through the comments, so I may be repeating something that was said before.
I am very curious about this one as I have heard of haunted paintings, but I do not think I have ever heard of one following someone when they moved. I do think a photo of the painting would be interesting, though I understand that you may not be comfortable with that. Anyone take pictures of the place when you first moved in that may have the painting in it?
Thank you for this story.
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-10-16)
Jaillarsson I couldn't agree with you more. I heard of picture that has passed on to many people and ruined there lives. One picture I think was of a child and anyone who possed this picture died or something awfull would happen to them. But I do agree that it would be nice to have a picture of it. Maybe we could find out some more about it. Hope to hear fromm you soon and take acer
jailarson (2 stories) (21 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-10-15)
Update:
Apparently the man was an engineer for the railroad in the early 1900's. I have not asked about his name though.
jailarson (2 stories) (21 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-10-15)
Alex.
My mother has been under a lot of stress. She has been in and out of the hospital recently, so now probably would not be a good time to stir something up that stresses her even more. I admit that I am somwhat curious to see it myself, but something inside me just tells me not too. I will think about it however. Now is not a good time, I wish it was. Sorta.
Ohiowatha (11 stories) (415 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-10-15)
O man! You have GOT to get a photo of this painting! Ask your parents to if you don't want to be involved, heck, even I'LL take the photo if you wish, but try to get it on here. This is a bizarre tale, indeed.

Very cool, thanks!
4u_allie (7 stories) (42 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2007-10-15)
The painting...well, if its in the attic then that's the best place. Don't have your parents move again, because the painting will too.
Could you take a photo of the painting? And download it with one of your stories on this web? It would be really appriciated. It seems their a connection with the painting and your father. I would love to come visit and investigate it! I am a ghost hunter. Could you email your address to me?www.lofland.allie [at] yahoo.com
PEACE,
Alex. 😉
Annie (202 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-10-15)
jailorson, I wish I could remember where I read the story similar to yours. It could have been on this site. I will let you know if I do remember, or find it.
jailarson (2 stories) (21 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-10-14)
Annie. This is the only website where I have related my experiences. If it is similiar to someone elses' I would love for you to post a link or website. God and His peace be with you.
jailarson (2 stories) (21 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-10-14)
Whatever is going on with this painting is not something that I want to involve myself with. I just have "a little voice on my shoulder" that tells me to stay away. There is a reason why my parents stuck the thing in the attic and I am not going to question their judgement. Let sleeping dogs sleep.
Annie (202 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-10-14)
Jailorson, Have you told this story on another web site? It sounds familiar. I think you should take it out and have it looked at. As Shane said, "see what develops..."
Shane (13 stories) (1258 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2007-10-14)
I have heard tells of paintings being haunted. But never of one that has followed the occupants of a home to a new location. Interesting. Why don't you go up and take a photo of the painting and see what develops. Then post the results here. Thanks Jailorson for the story.

Peace, Love, and Luck be with you.
bossymiss (1 stories) (30 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-10-14)
hey my friend has a portrait like that it winks at her and shes not joking about it 😊
Bellissima (12 stories) (792 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-10-14)
Hi, Jailorson. What a strange tale. Have you experienced anything due to the portrait? I'd be interested to know.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: