You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Man With The Mask

Real Ghost Stories

The Man With The Mask

 

Before I start telling my story, I should mention that I DO have a history of mental illness. Psychosis to be more accurate. There are two reasons that I still feel this might be something paranormal.

First off, when I was ill I never saw things (hallucinations), I'd just imagine stuff (delusions). Two very different symptoms. Second, when this happened to me I was being treated and had no symptoms at all.

So my story takes place in January about a year ago, in Odense. I was on my way home from my boyfriend's house, had just gotten off the bus. At the time I lived in a neighbourhood about 150 years old, although some of it younger.

I was about to cross the street and looked to both sides even though I heard no cars nearby. I looked left first, and saw him standing there. A tall man in an old-fashioned suit, with what looked like a woolen coat over it. His face appeared youngish but was weird, looked a little like a Guy Fawkes mask. He was also wearing a hat, Borsalino type style. He was just standing there, in the middle of the street. As I saw no cars I immediately looked to my right, also no cars.

As I was looking to my right, a stray thought crept into my mind. That guy just looked weird. I quickly looked back but he was gone. Vanished.

Now remember, I was just preparing to cross the road, I had looked away from the guy for less than two seconds when I looked back. There were no cars for him to hide behind, and the street was way too wide for him to have the time to reach a building on either side. I also heard no doors opening or shutting.

I didn't feel scared or like he would harm me, and it didn't feel supernatural at all. If he hadn't vanished like that I wouldn't have thought of it ever again. Maybe except his weird-looking face.

I am sorry for misspellings, bad grammar and so on, please forgive me as English is not my first language.

Other hauntings by Rikke

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Rikke, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Sam222 (8 stories) (461 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-01-09)
Well guy Fawkes does where a hat (though I'm not sure if it was the type you said), but at that time had you watched v of vendetta recently. Or was there like a vendetta going on? (Oh I hope not)
I can't believe you weren't scared that mask scares me no matter whose where ing it. Thanks for sharing you story it was quite interesting and mysterious. 😁
MezurashiReito15 (1 stories) (7 posts)
 
9 years ago (2014-12-29)
First off yeah I believe mental illness does occur but seeing things a lot of time has nothing to do with illness doctors just say it because their science people and of course anything paranormal is false to them so mental illness is a easy way for them to explain the unexplainable in my opinion anyway second I believe you saw the mask guy but since someone else says they saw him to I believe he is just a simple spirit who is curious about how life is these days from his description he may have lived long ago and is just curious.
elnoraemily (guest)
 
9 years ago (2014-12-24)
The dude, Guy Fawkes was a British revolutionary in the early 1600s. The movie V for Vendetta was based off of him.

Mask: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guy_Fawkes_mask
thedudebraski (1 stories) (9 posts)
 
9 years ago (2014-12-24)
thats pretty interesting, and what is a guy fawkes hat, have no idea
Wish-Not (16 stories) (534 posts)
 
9 years ago (2014-12-23)
Rikke- The first thing I thought about was "Mr. Winfred". A story I posted not too long ago. He was a visitor dressed in "a suit" that happened by on day last summer. I too got the same impressions as you did. He didn't come across as bad or other wise. Just observing. So, that being said...I'm right there with you.

Thanks for sharing
The_Dark_Knight (2 stories) (20 posts)
 
9 years ago (2014-12-23)
Could it have been Tyler Durden? Just joking but maybe it was just your mind playing tricks on you.
elnoraemily (guest)
+1
9 years ago (2014-12-22)
I have studied the pineal gland and still my best ability to tell what it actually does is... It does everything. It holds sleep patterns and important seasonal change abilities for humans and animals, secretes important hormones, including reproductive hormones. It even plays a role in how the body deals with drug use. It creates melatonin, an essential hormone needed to sleep and also somewhat deals with seratonin, a neurotransmitter hypothesized to be influential in schizophrenia.
elnoraemily (guest)
 
9 years ago (2014-12-22)
I actually just wrote a stupidly long comment on this topic on one of my stories in response to someone's question. This is a popular topic today.

There is definitely evidence that the pineal gland has a huge part to play in schizophrenia and similar issues. Something causing some sort of spike could cause a hallucination of sorts. Or it could have been a random spirit passing through. The pineal gland is also known as the third eye by a lot of spiritual studies.
notjustme (19 stories) (852 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2014-12-22)
Rikke - here you go my friend, hope this helps
Https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhX6LoNZdAc
Rikke (2 stories) (10 posts)
+2
9 years ago (2014-12-22)
[at] elnoraemily

Thank you for giving my story that much thought. I appreciate your knowledge. If you have any other theories or questions, feel free:-)

I've never met anyone with knowledge of both paranormal acticities and mental illness, so I find it very interesting.
Rikke (2 stories) (10 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2014-12-22)
[at] notjustme

Thank you so much for praying:-)

I don't know what a pineal gland is, and google translate isn't much help?
elnoraemily (guest)
+1
9 years ago (2014-12-22)
Well, there goes my theory. Abilify is not known to cause any sort of bizarre hallucinatory symptoms. Delusions and hallucinations can go together, but if you never had it before and it has not happened since, that does not make much sense.
notjustme (19 stories) (852 posts)
+3
9 years ago (2014-12-22)
I believe you saw what you said you saw. I actually read something very interesting. If anyone has ever heard of DMT might consider this possibility. I read that some people with schizophrenia are actually just hearing entities, and that their pineal gland is leaking... I thought that was a scary thought. But as for your case, I'm not saying your gland is leaking lol, that was just a fun thought to share.

Thanks for your story. I pray you will get better and live a very happy life.
Rikke (2 stories) (10 posts)
+2
9 years ago (2014-12-22)
- oh and also: Neither Occupy nor Anonymous are very big in Denmark. And definitely not in Odense.
I don't think I have ever seen a person wearing such a mask, except on tv of course.
Rikke (2 stories) (10 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2014-12-22)
I'm diagnosed with schizophrenia, but have very good results from Abilify (aripiprazol).

It might have been an actual guy in a mask, but it just doesn't explain where he went. He literally vanished within a second or so... In the beginning, after the incident, I was waiting for new symptoms as I thought it was a hallucination. But I haven't had ANY symptoms about a year previous and ever since.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask:-)
elnoraemily (guest)
+2
9 years ago (2014-12-22)
What was your actual diagnosis? Since this was during treatment, what forms of medication were you placed on?
I do have thought, though. Could it have been possible that it was literally a Guy Fawkes mask? There have been protests the past few years worldwide that have used the Guy Fawkes mask as a symbols (the Occupy movement worldwide does so, as does Anonymous).

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: