You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Previous Tenant Saved Me?

Real Ghost Stories

The Previous Tenant Saved Me?

 

In my previous post I stated that I do have a history of mental illness. I have still not had any symptoms the past 6-7 years or so and I have been off medication for around 5 of them. Just to get that cleared up. 😊

I was in a quite abusive relationship at the time and I will need to mention one episode of this - this is a trigger warning. Please do not feel sorry for me, I got to know my own strength through this and came out even stronger.

In 2016 I rented this very nice little terraced house quite close to my partner's (at the time - obviously not anymore) house and he was supposed to move in there with me. I will call him D. Due to his escalating violent behavior, I wouldn't let him move in with me. It was only my name on the lease, thankfully, and this left me with bills about twice as big as I could afford. He was, of course, very frustrated by this and so became even worse. I kept hoping he would "come to his senses" and so I didn't really decorate the place, waiting for him to maybe move in, and due to lack of funds.

The previous tenant of the house had died, likely of old age and very likely in the house itself. The bedroom floor had waves like something wet had seeped down there. I kept getting her old posts, putting it away for later as it didn't seem very important and I didn't want to make a lot of trips to the post office.

I began to feel a vibe shortly after moving into the house. I felt watched and I certainly did not feel welcome. Not menacing or evil, just quite offended that I was intruding in this space.

From all her old posts I knew her name so I'll call her IE. She had kept the garden very beautifully with some of my favorite flowers. Clearly a lot of energy had been put into this garden and I believe she had lived there for a long time, might even be the first tenant as the houses were built in the early 90s.

Things got worse and worse. Combined with my fear of D coming round doing his crazy stuff, I didn't feel at ease at any time. I had D's dog (whom I love dearly and still miss terribly) over as D had to go out to work. The only time I could fall asleep without having some show running on my laptop to distract me was when the dog was there with me.

I had this dream while having a nap on my bed with the dog. I have had this type of dream a few times, it doesn't feel like usual dreams - it feels real. Like I can feel everything going on, wind on my face, sand under my feet - just like being awake and, to some degree, in control of my actions. Anyway I dreamt that I had to leave the house for something, going to the supermarket or something like that. I was outside and about to lock my door with my key in, and I somehow felt that IE was on the other side with her key in the door. There isn't actually a key hole on the inside but a latch to operate the lock, but in dreams anything can happen.

We were kind of wrestling with the keys, each trying to be the one to lock the door. Then I had the idea that if I looked through the glass panels in the door I would see her. Up until this point I had deliberately avoided looking through the glass every time I used it. I could feel someone there and I was scared what I would see. But in the dream I found the courage and I looked through the glass. It was just an old lady, looking a little frail, with one of those walking aids to hold onto. She looked like my grandma quite a bit.

Immediately I stopped being afraid of her at all. I used my "teacher voice" (most of my family are teachers - we all have that voice when necessary) and said "I E this is MY house!" and then I locked the door. I woke up shortly after. There was no more of this unpleasant vibe after that. A;though I would almost always feel like I wasn't alone, the house felt welcoming and, most importantly, it felt like my home. The dog stopped panting when she was there and relaxed.

Then stuff started happening. D had given me a little bundle of lavender flowers after some fight and I had hung them to dry on a cabinet handle, one of those that hang over the kitchen tabletop. Sometimes they would start swinging wildly - especially when something had happened and I was feeling sad or scared or powerless.

I would find those flowers in strange places, like on tables and shelves. Sometimes when I was bent over taking the leash off the dog one little lavender flower would land right by my feet, right in my field of view. For this to happen the lavender would have to come out of the bundle, fly about 1.5 meters and around a corner - and every window and door would be closed when I was out of the house so no draft wind or anything. This happened quite often, maybe once per week, and they would always fall right by my feet.

When I was going to sleep I could feel something moving back and forth next to my bed very quickly. When the dog was there she would clearly see something, lightly panting, moving her head from side to side to follow it. Then I would get out of bed, put on my "teacher's voice" and say something like, "You are scaring my dog. We will sleep now. Good night. Get out" and hold open the door until I felt the something move past me out the door. Then the dog would calm down and we would go to sleep. I felt like something was trying to tell me something maybe, but I never found out what.

After some time D would no longer allow the dog over so I had no one to comfort me. That's when I started feeling someone gently stroking my back when I was upset. My grandma used to do this when I was a small kid. This happened a few times, maybe ten in all, and only when I was extremely upset. It really comforted me.

One more thing happened - this is probably not a pleasant read. When I definitively decided that this D would not be moving in (this was also the time I started preparing to get out of the relationship but that took almost a year to fulfill), he got extremely angry. I ran from his house up to my own, but he had a key to the front door. I did not have time to barricade it (as I had done before) so I simply locked the inner door to the hall. It was a thin, plywood kind of door but at least it would give me enough time to escape out through the garden if he tried to kick it in and my neighbors would surely hear it. He didn't though.

The fuse cabinet was out there so he simply turned off the electricity to the whole house. As I was already very afraid, it really did terrify me that I was now in complete darkness. I heard the front door go and waited as long as I could before I opened the inner door to get to the fuse cabinet. That was a mistake.

He was right out there and I couldn't close the inner door back up before he had rammed his way through it. This threw me down on the floor and as I tried to get back up he jumped on my back, pushing me down flat on my stomach. He tried to get his hand and arm around my neck to strangle me to submission (he had done this a lot before) but of course I wouldn't let him. So we wrestled around there for a bit - it was hard for me to breathe with his knee in my back and to be honest the details get a little fuzzy here, I must have panicked. The next thing I remember was that I got my upper body a little up from the tile floor and so got enough air down my lungs to scream. At this time he was more lying than sitting on top of me I think. So I screamed as loud as I possibly could. I was pretty certain he would kill me right there if he could, but the front door was still open and I hoped he would be scared that the neighbors would come running. Yes, he is a huge coward. He ran off and was gone before I had stopped screaming.

Now for the strange part. As I don't remember the details from a bit of time there, I don't know why he suddenly loosened his grip so I could get up enough to scream. I don't know how I would have enough strength to push him off. I find it strange that he would do it himself, it wouldn't be like him as he knew how to fight (at least to some extent).

A few days later, as we had "made up", he showed me that his ribs were cracked, he had a huge bruise on his left side. At first I thought it was from when he rammed the door but that's on the wrong side for that. He very clearly stated that it was me who had done it, but I just don't see how I could have had the strength or the movement to reach when I was pressed flat on my stomach.

What I think happened was that IE helped me again. I believe she saved my life that night. I don't see how I could still be alive if someone else had not intervened.

When I got out of the relationship I had to move to the other end of my country, and he still went looking for me there but luckily he never figured out exactly where I lived. I was very sad that I had to leave my little house behind. I had wonderful experiences there, some a bit paranormal. I also don't know if it was my grandma watching out for me, she was certainly a very strong lady, or if it really was the former tenant.

Other hauntings by Rikke

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Rikke, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

mel8763 (1 stories) (19 posts)
+2
4 years ago (2019-12-06)
Rikke, I think it was your grandmother. Beautiful name, by the way. I'm glad you got out of the relationship.
Aella9114 (2 stories) (7 posts)
+1
4 years ago (2019-12-06)
Hello Rikke,

I'm sorry for what happened to you but I'm glad that finally you were able to get out of that relationship. While reading your story I was imagining how the house look like especially the garden part and also I grew up with my grandma who passed 3 years ago and can't help but remember her while you were talking about IE. I felt sad that you had to leave the house and the dog but after all it is for you own good. I just hope that house will have a new tenant who would take good care of it. Thank you for sharing such an amazing story ❤
Redmoon91 (1 posts)
+2
4 years ago (2019-10-31)
Hi Rikke, do you think it's possible the dream you had about the door locking scenario was actually a warning sign from the old lady about what was to come with your ex busting through your door and maybe tried to prevent that from happening? Just a thought. Thanks for sharing 😊
Rikke (2 stories) (10 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2019-10-27)
Biblio:

Maria/lealeigh this bit is for you too.

Of course you can do that - I'm sure granma would be pleased. But if you are going to put it up there I should probably explain why I don't feel it translates well. There are three words for "coward" in danish: "fej" or "fejg", "kujon" and "kryster". They all basically mean coward but in different severity and circumstance.

"Kujon" is the one that most directly translates to "coward" - someone who stays far away from fights or battles even if they are worth fighting. This is a noun.
"Kryster" means a coward who runs and hides in mamas skirts. A noun.
"Fejg" is the most severe one. It means someone who enjoys starting fights when they are clearly much stronger - like someone who goes out in groups to beat up single persons who don't stand a chance. Someone who is "fejg" will shy away from any fight they are not sure to win and will be an informant just to get paid. This is an adjective.

I'm telling you this so maybe you can find a better translation - I couldn't 😅

Also your name makes perfect sense to me - librarian in danish is "bibliotekar" 😊
I will use it in the future - I just wasn't sure if that would have been disrespectful and your thorough response definitely did not deserve that.

Bedste hilsner
Rikke
Bibliothecarius (9 stories) (1091 posts)
+4
4 years ago (2019-10-27)
Rikke:

Thanks for your understanding responses; I'm going to put #3 up in my classroom with the translation underneath it.

Lady-glow is right; "It translates perfectly. I wish everybody in the world lived by it."

Best,
Biblio.

(Please, use the short version of my screen-name: "Bibliothecarius" is Latin for "Librarian," but "Biblio" is more like "Books.")
Lealeigh (5 stories) (512 posts)
+4
4 years ago (2019-10-27)
Rikke,

I know your last comment wasn't directed at me but I wanted to say something about your grandmother's phrase:

"It is weak and cowardly to hit someone smaller than yourself."

It translates perfectly. I wish everybody in the world lived by it.

- Maria ❤
Rikke (2 stories) (10 posts)
+4
4 years ago (2019-10-27)
Bibliothecarious:

1) I have read your response several times and I laughed every time at this - the teacher voice is a very powerful thing 😂

2) There is no doubt when having these dreams that they are not the normal ones. Unfortunately I don't always remember all that I am told during them, though I always wake up feeling calm and determined or like I gained some insight. Also it seems certain conditions must be met for them to happen...
The mental image of a travelling cheesecake salesman in his electric pterodactyl is very entertaining by the way - definitely gives me a Douglas Adamsy vibe that my ordinary dreams unfortunately do not have.

3) I don't think it is sexist as such. My granma always taught me "Det er fejt at slå på nogen som er mindre end én selv."
Which approximately translates to "It is weak and cowardly to hit someone smaller than yourself." As women are usually smaller and/or not as physically strong as most men it is not based on gender but on capability and strength and the risk taken of becoming the beatee not the beater. It also says something about fighting the power, not kicking someone already on the floor. I believe it is an excellent word to live by and I wish it translated better.

4) Oh don't worry - his ribs were cracked (I don't know the appropriate english term, in danish we would say bent) so it took quite a few weeks before he could laugh or lift anything without pain. The bruise was very large, extending from just under the armpit down to the last rib. I thought that if I had done it I would have had to hit him several times with my elbow. (Again not possible as he was on my back, it was an impossible angle)
I kept thinking it must have been something pointy but several blows, that's why I believed it was my elbow, so it could very well be something like a walking support frame (as I saw her with through the door) or the end of a cane. It was more or less one big ugly bruise at the time I saw it though.
As for not opening that door - yes I kind of felt the same as I opened it, I guess every time I have sworn at the people in scary movies for being too stupid there was at least three fingers pointing back at myself 😅

5) Fighting to gain back control was very hard, it was quite a web he had spun around me. Inching my way back was very frustrating but extremely liberating and a very powerful experience. He is really a very weak person, always looking to feel powerful. He claimed that he went to therapy as he saw the error of his ways, but I tend to believe this was an attempt at manipulating me back into that web. I really hope it is true though, it could make a big difference to him and it does look like he has turned his life around in some ways since.

Thank you so much for responding - I am very happy you enjoyed it.

Rikke
Bibliothecarius (9 stories) (1091 posts)
+4
4 years ago (2019-10-26)
Rikke:

Wow. Just...wow!

I am seldom at a loss for words, so I'll need a few moments to adjust; too many responses flooding through my head right now.

1) I know exactly what you mean about using the teacher voice. The school administration asked me to stop using mine as it scares other teachers & the workers in the front office. 😕

2) I, also, have those dreams; the moment I start having them I realize "This is not a dream. I must pay attention, now." When I am having an "ordinary" dream, I could be "a traveling cheesecake salesman whose electric pterodactyl got a flat tire on the way to King Nebuchadnezzar's yacht" and I'd think it was all *perfectly normal* until I woke up. The other "dreams" though, always contain vital or significant information.

3) I have never understood why a man would feel the need to beat up a woman. If a woman attacked me, obviously I'd defend myself; I don't think I could live with the shame or embarrassment of having initiated violence against a woman. I hope that is not an offensive or sexist sentiment, even though it is predicated upon social gender norms...

4) I'm delighted that the old lady was there to protect you. I was shouting at you *not* to open the door to the hallway, but that's probably due to my watching too many scary movies. The "huge bruise" he suffered (and yes, I do hope he suffered!), did it look like a single, circular bruise, such as a punch or a kick might leave, or was it a longer bruise that would result from a walking cane or a walking support frame? I'm picturing an indignant older lady walloping this "boyfriend" with her cane and it is a very satisfying image.

5) I am glad that you've learned of your own strength. Men who treat women badly tend to be insecure individuals who need to feel like someone or something is under their control. Standing up to them is the best thing you can do for yourself; ultimately, it may force them to look at their actions & motivations, too.

Be well, Rikke, and thanks for sharing this powerful experience with us. It's going into my "favorites" list the moment I finish typing this response.

Best wishes for healthy future relationships,
Biblio.
Rikke (2 stories) (10 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2019-10-26)
Haha, lady-glow, he is indeed a man of many names by now 😂

Yes I really felt like an uninvited house guest that had far overstayed my welcome - like when the host has looked at their watch several times and politely mentioned something about having to get up early the next morning. But that completely changed after the "dream" - affecting the dog too. And it felt very real, not like a dream at all.

Thank you
lady-glow (16 stories) (3149 posts)
+4
4 years ago (2019-10-25)
Ha, I bet my comment would be deleted if I wrote all the bad names starting with the letter "D" that I gave to this joke of a man.

Rikke - perhaps IE wasn't fully aware of her passing and was only observing the stranger in her place. I'm sure that your dream was more than just a dream, in my opinion it was a spiritual encounter with the previous tenant.

I'm sorry that you had to go through such a bad experience, but it's good to know that you were not alone and that all this made you stronger.

Blessings.
Rikke (2 stories) (10 posts)
+4
4 years ago (2019-10-25)
silverhane61
Thank you ❤
The dog was and is still the hardest part. At least I know he really loves her and she loves her house and garden.
I actually did bring whatever it was with me as I mentioned in my answer to lealeigh - it disappeared after I moved again.
The years in that relationship made me a lot more sure of myself, I know now that I am much stronger than I ever believed.
Thank you for commenting 😊
Rikke (2 stories) (10 posts)
+2
4 years ago (2019-10-25)
Hi majarlika
Luckily I had some strong support and a place to go - I very much appreciate this as I know many are not as lucky. I honestly hope no one tries to tame him, though I do hope he will have a good life after all.

I have considered it being adrenaline and as there's some "foggy" time that is possible. Initially I believed I hit him with my elbow. But it would be the wrong angle - I can't put my elbow that far back and it wouldve been my weaker side too...

Thank you for your good wishes ❤
Rikke
silverthane61 (4 stories) (344 posts)
+4
4 years ago (2019-10-25)
I am so sorry for what you had to endure, and I feel bad that you had to leave behind the dog and the friendly "protector" that lived with you in your old home. However, you have an experience that no one can take from you and it has made you stronger.
majarlika012 (12 stories) (122 posts)
+4
4 years ago (2019-10-25)
Hi Rikke,

I never understand boys who use their strength to abuse girls like us. I believe that a real man has this high respect for women. I'm kind of feminist haha. But then, I admire your courage to leave that man. I wish he finds someone who can tame him or else he will surely rot in jail for physical abuse.

Regarding the incident, I am thinking that maybe, the strength came from your adrenaline power. That power which manifests when in danger (example, an real incident when a house was caught on fire and the lady was able to bring the 7 cubic feet refrigerator outside. But when fire was out, she cannot even lift it). But who knows? The important thing is, you're grateful for that something who helped you live.

I am glad you are okay now. Hopefully, you find a guy who will love you and understand you despite all flaws.

God bless and long live ladies:)
Rikke (2 stories) (10 posts)
+4
4 years ago (2019-10-25)
Hi Maria ❤
As time passes I only become more convinced leaving was the right thing to do. He is a troubled man but that is no excuse for the things he did. I hope youll feel the same and have a great life without that kind of b*llshiat - no matter of troubledness is an excuse for such bad behaviour.
I miss that dog every day though - she will always be in my heart.

I do believe whatever it was cared about me, I wonder what it was - my granma, the former tenant or some kind of poltergeist (so my own energy really). I invited it with me when I moved and my friend I moved in with "met" it too - she said "hello Rikkes granma" and heard like a loud buzzing sound that made her feel like she was being thoroughly checked out. "It" disappeared when I moved back to live with my parents but they have their own resident ghost - it might not like company 😂 Or there was just no reason for it to keep watching over me...

Rikke is my real name - a very common name here. I have been told it means something like rich or victorious in battle.

Best of luck to you too
Rikke ❤
Lealeigh (5 stories) (512 posts)
+4
4 years ago (2019-10-24)
Hi Rikke,

I got out of an abusive relationship earlier this year. Never allow yourself to regret leaving. He may have had some good qualities but you weren't right for each other.

I'm sorry that you had to move across the country to get away. He clearly wasn't going to leave you alone if your word that it was over was not enough.

I don't think the elderly woman meant to upset you. Even if she wasn't your grandmother, I think she cared about your well being.

On an unrelated note: I like the name "Rikke". It is the name of a character in a video game that I spent WAY too much time playing in my early thirties. The character was a strong minded woman.

Thank you for sharing and good luck in the future, Maria ❤

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: