You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Haunting Babies at Mokapu

Real Ghost Stories

Haunting Babies at Mokapu

 

I used to live in Hawaii for about 9 months and I hear many stories about hauntings that take place there. Everything from Night Marchers (the ancestral dead) that walk the island to ghosts in the Pali. I had some strange experience while I was there and I would like to share one with you.

In 2004, there was a girl I really liked. One night I summed up the courage to ask her on a date. We went to a restaurant, drank some wine, and at about 11pm we decided to go to a beach called Mokapu, which is near Honolulu. It was really dark and there was hardly anyone out. We talked about each others lives and experiences and we laid down and listened to the ocean for a few hours. At about 2am strange things started happening. Me and the girl I was with felt our hands being touched by something small. We thought it was miniature crabs, but when we looked, there was nothing there. The moon was full that night so you could see a lot of stuff, but we saw no crabs. Then the weirdest sound was heard by both of us. It sounded like a baby crying. Keep in mind it was 2am and no one was around. The nearest house is about 5 miles away. We kept on hearing the crying. We both thought that it was cat crying or something, but when we looked at the direction of the crying, there was no cat to be found. We kept on feeling our hands being touched too. We both had had enough and we decided to leave. I just put it to the back of my mind thinking that it was crabs and a cat.

Two months later I was sitting with my hair stylist, who is a local, and we began talking about strange things that happen on the island. We were talking about Night Marchers and haunted burial grounds. Then she started talking about Mokapu. I asked what is so scary about that place? She said that a long time ago, Hawaiians used to take the deformed babies and kill them at Mokapu. She told me some people say that if you stay there long enough you will hear them crying. She told me that she heard them herself one night when she was there. The hair on my neck and on my entire body stood up. I told her what happened to me there.

I knew nothing about this story until the day she told me and until now it still gives me the creeps.

Other hauntings by Excaliburhope

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Hawaii

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Excaliburhope, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

KumuHaole (1 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-08-25)
Aloha,
I would like to share my Makapu'u experience as it still confuses me today. I have now lived in Hawai'i, on O'ahu, for 7 years but after only 4 years here I went with some of my friends to build a fire in Makapu'u on the beach looking up at the lighthouse on the Waimanalo side. While there in a large group I felt EXTREMELY uncomfortable as I kept feeling something behind me yet saw nothing. I thought little of it as we were in a big group and brought friends with me when needing to pee (yes we girls do that well).
However, I went another time about a year later with my boyfriend and my two roommates. This time I could not shake the feeling at all and even without letting the others know why I started tearing up. I felt overwhelmed by something there and I knew they were not happy with us. I begged my friends to put the fire out and leave. Though they were seriously pissed off at me I knew we couldn't be there. I didn't here any crying or any sound at all. It just seemed like the wind and the rocks were throwing bad energy at us and somehow I knew what we were doing was kapu (forbidden). Still until this day when I go to Makapu'u (always during sunlight hours) I apologize in Hawaiian and make sure to leave some kind of offering in the same spot I felt the energy.
There is still no one who believes me but it really doesn't matter because I know what I felt and I know what the 'uhane (spirits) are capable of.
Mahalo
tmeyer09 (2 stories) (7 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2010-10-29)
I've had a lot of scary experiences at Mokapu as well. That whole area has such a long history, with the sacrifices, burial grounds, excavations... No wonder there's so much activity.:/
lmedina (1 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2008-10-20)
The writer refers to Mokapu, NOT Makapu'u. These are two very different sites on the island of O'ahu. Mokapu is located within the borders of Kaneohe Marine Corps Station. Makapu'u is part of the Ka'iwi shoreline past Hawaii Kai.

There are no accounts I can recall about any baby sacrifices being held in antiquity at Pele's Chair at Makapu'u OR Mokapu. However, Mokapu (rather, Mokapu Point) is the site of vast native Hawaiian burials which have been excavated throughout the 20th century. Considering Mokapu is (was) a vast graveyard, I wouldn't be surprised at all he heard any kind of sobbing, crying or (ugh) touching.

I can only figure the writer did not know he was near (or in) a burial ground and he and his gal pal got off pretty scot-free, considering some of the more vindictive spirits reported in Hawaii.
Tenbones (1 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-08-20)
Ok, I've been searching online for folklore or stories about "crying babies" around the Makapu'u area, specifically Pele's Chair.

The reason being that my friends and I are avid night hikers. We journey through the jungle, marked and unmarked trails, and one of our favorite spots, especially full moon, is Pele's chair (located around the corner from Makapu'u at the base of the lighthouse).

I was searching for any stories or folklore because recently, the last 4 times we have been out to the Chair, we have heard a baby's cry...

Now, I'm not the superstitious type. I'm also not easily frightened. But in the SAME place (located approx. 300 yards towards the Chair, between two large dead and overgrown trees) we've started hearing a baby cry.

Last night, 8.19.08 2am, we were walking down the trail and heard a faint sob. Laughing it off, again, as the wind or an animal, we ignored it and went swimming. On the return however, we heard it again and decided to stop. Silence followed for a minute or so, then we heard and UNMISTAKABLE cry (multiple sobs, and inhaled choking) that sounded EXACTLY like a baby. The most skeptical in our group, an armed forces member visiting, thought we should hang out and see if it happened again, just in case it WAS an abandoned child.

For minutes nothing happened, then right as we were about to leave the cry started again... But this time in the opposite direction!

We thought about searching for the source of the cry, but couldn't muster up the courage to walk through the long grass into the dead woods with our only illumination being the full moon. Really, would you? So we left...

And the walk back was a quick one...

Now I came across your story, and I'm starting to wonder if this is a real ghost... Or just some "peacocks" in an area where I have never seen them during the day...

-Luke
tito412 (3 stories) (2 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-03-23)
ive heard this story before but have never experienced it myself. Many locals refer to it as "baby's cry".

ive had some experiences myself on Wheeler Army Air Field and on NCTAMS PAC Hawaii.

Ill post them as soon as I can.
scarlettwitch (2 stories) (20 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2007-10-28)
Wow, I never really thought of hawaii having a history like that, that's very sad. I have to agree with supernatural girl, I wouldn't have been able to handle the feeling of something touching my hands, even if it was just a baby crab it would creep me out! Thanks for sharing. Blessed be.
supernaturalgirl (6 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2007-10-27)
that is really scary! What got me most was the feeling of something crawling on your hands, I don't think I could handle that! The story behind it is so sad though. Thanks for sharing your story!
mustang (5 stories) (749 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2007-10-27)
Very disturbing! I hate hearing about bad things happening to babies or children. I really hope that the babies, if that's what it is, find peace very soon! Thank you for your sharing you experience. -Shelby ❤
Karyn (1 stories) (63 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2007-10-26)
That was a really great story. Unfortunately, humankind was cruelly superstious in the primitave years. I can understand how this phenomena may be repeating historical echos of restless or lost spirits.
Jannes (2 stories) (9 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2007-10-26)
ozone_baby,
I think you may be right - it's so sad to think of newborns who were killed senselessly, and then are stuck and not able to move on. I've read on this site where people have commented that children may have a hard time "crossing over" as they lack the experience/knowledge that older people have about death. I'd always wondered if that's the case or if upon death you recieve greater awareness of how the world works regardless of age at time of death? I'm curious about that, but I guess only time will tell, hmm!
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2007-10-26)
Whew, that was a creepy story.

Thank you fro sharing your story as well as the legens that surround it. If it is indeed the babies crying, I do home that they can find peace.

God Bless!
ozone_baby (2 stories) (28 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2007-10-26)
Jannes,
I hope it is our sympothy, as humans, to anyone who is defensless. Let's face it new borns are definately at the top of that list.
It got to me because I am mommmy !
Ozone ❤
Ohiowatha (11 stories) (415 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2007-10-26)
Woah, that one made my hair stand-up, too! It's all in the delivery...

Thanks!
Jannes (2 stories) (9 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2007-10-26)
Hi, this is my first post so it feels a little funny jumping in the middle of the group - since it seems like a pretty close-knit bunch a lot of the time. I just wanted to offer input on a side point. I was brought up to believe in ghosts and such, yet was also brought up to be skeptical, so I like to find logical explanations. However, I think I'd tend to rule out peacocks - we used to have 3, 2 males and a female, and they sound much more like a cranky donkey braying than a baby crying. But like ozone_baby, the whole idea of it being babies is just somehow much creepier than it being anything else. Wonder why that is?
ozone_baby (2 stories) (28 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2007-10-26)
Oooh eerie, Just the thought that it could be babies, bothers me!
I HOPE it was peacocks, but if this place really was a killing grounds it could be the cries of the murdered children.
Patch (3 stories) (91 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2007-10-26)
In Iceland they did the same, If the baby was deformed (Or sometimes female) they take it out and leave them there to die.
Thank you for sharing your story.
Abby (710 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2007-10-26)
Dear Excaliburhope,

Your experience may be a the left over energy imprint of the traumatic events playing and re-playing over and over again. It may also be peacocks as Shane suggests which you could also check into and see if any are known to be in that area where you had your experience.

Thanks, Abby
Shane (13 stories) (1258 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2007-10-26)
Creepy indeed. Wonder if the crying sounds couldn't have been caused by peacocks as it is well know that their calls carry for miles. Just a thought.

Peace, Love, and Luck be with you.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: