You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Poltergeists / Physical Manifestations :: Who's in the Basement?

Real Ghost Stories

Who's in the Basement?

 

The house we lived in was creepy as hell already. When my bedroom was upstairs, I found someone had carved into the inside of my closet door "so-and-so died here on such-and-such a date" I thought nothing of it and decided some other kid who lived here before wrote it there to scare people.

My mom decided to extend our family with her loser boyfriend... Twice... So as me and my brother were getting older, our bedrooms were moved to the basement. Fine with that... We wanted our privacy from the rents anyways.

One weekend, my best friend decided she was going to come over and spend the night. Now, my bed was much to small for both of us so we decided to sleep on the couch in the basement living room. This room was unfinished and was pretty much the wrecking grounds for me and my brother and whoever we had over. My brother's bedroom was right across from the doorway of the living room, so the moonlight and streetlights brought in a little bit of light. It was getting late and Danielle and I decided to get ready for bed. Being an unfinished basement, we knew it would be cold during the night so we grabbed lots of blankets, turned on some music pretty low and turned out the lights. Danielle was laying on the couch facing the doorway, and I was the opposite. We just talked about the usual 15 year old gossip, when Danielle was in the middle of a story and she stopped talking. "Who's standing in the doorway?" she asked. "What are you talking about?" I replied, being somewhat afraid of the dark as it is I could feel my adrenaline rising and going into a minor panic.

"There's someone standing in the doorway wearing a trench coat and a black hat"... "Your joking don't lie to me" I said to her quietly. She closed her eyes and "it" was gone. We sat there waiting for the return of this thing. Minutes passed and nothing, so we continued our conversation. She was in the middle of telling me about some class she was in and how she hated it when I stopped her and said "Did you hear that?" On the other side of the living room where we were sleeping was the laundry room. Cement floors, metal pipes on the roof, a creepy storage room, and a bunch of junk and boxes my mom couldn't find room for. "What did you hear?" There had been a swish sound across the cement floor that sounded as if someone was pushing boxes. Danielle didn't hear it. Again we listened quietly for the sound to happen again. Nothing.

We continued our conversation, observing everything in case we heard/saw something again. "Swiiisshhh". Once again the sound appeared from the laundry room. This time we both heard it. Being the first time that night we both witnessed something odd happening in my basement (and being girls...) we started freaking out. My brother was upstairs watching t.v. And we tried calling him to come downstairs. No reply. We laid there quietly waiting to hear anything... My brother, my mom... ANYTHING. I heard the water turn off from the shower upstairs. So we started screaming for my brother one more time. He came downstairs and asked what the hell we were screaming about. After we told him the stories of what we heard and saw, he didn't seem too worried about it. Danielle and I got off the couch and decided to sleep upstairs. We followed my brother very close up the stairs. As we walked by the hallway looking into the laundry room, we noticed the box in the middle of the floor, and my mom's clothes she hung to dry hanging from the pipes on the roof were swinging back and forth very rapidly. Definitely not something wind could do. Especially since none of the windows were open.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Canada

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, B, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

TalonWalt (3 stories) (69 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-04-16)
Back in 2010 my boyfriend used to have to work 1 night a week. On the night he had to work, I would make an early dinner (around noon). This way he could have dinner before he left for work, and then at dinner time I would just reheat whatever I made earlier. One night (around 5pm) I was putting some chicken and rice on a plate to reheat it in the microwave, when I felt someone behind me. I assumed it was one of my cats wanting some of my chicken. So I turned around to see which moocher it was, and found myself face to face with a shadow man. I am only 5 foot tall, and he wasn't much taller than me, so I'd say he was 5ft2 or 5ft3. He had short hair spiked on the top, and appeared to be wearing jeans, tshirt, and tennis shoes (of course this was all in shadow, so I couldn't make out the color of his clothes, etc.) He was darker than dark, and I couldn't make out his features, but could see that he had eyes, nose, mouth, ears, etc. We just stared at each other for a few seconds, and I trusted my gut feeling that he was only observing me, and meant me no harm. So I just turned my back to him, and told him I was putting my food into the microwave to reheat it. When I finished plating my food, put it in the micro, and turned the micro on... I turned around and he was gone.
ladyannne (11 stories) (91 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-09-11)
Interesting reactions.
Being spooked as little kids was fun, most often afterward, having the tale to tell was even better. Adding an embellishment for two simply made it all the more important.
A REAL spooking was enough to make you run screaming, and easily can include distortions, especially if it took place in a scary basement. As adults, acquainted with real 'visits' you can actually enjoy them. Extras are no longer needed or added.
In either case, the bottom line is that we weren't there, and truly are not able to make a judgment as to the validity of a story that was accepted on these pages, wild or not. Admittedly, some stories sound a bit off the end, but then, so do some of mine! And those did happen, as factually as I wrote about them. Peace and smiles.
Kisho (2 stories) (60 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-07-12)
I don't get why so many people tear apart people's stories on here, for having plot holes or whatever. The thing about human memory, which these stories are based on, is that it often places importance on odd things, or remembers things out of sequence. Also, not everyone writing on this site is a professional novelist, so you can't hardly expect everyone to be able to capture every element of their experience perfectly. A lot of people write what they're thinking as their thinking it, and leave it at that. Telling people their memories are wrong because you could have written it better is pretty arrogant.
Ciel (2 stories) (29 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-03-09)
I believe it is completely possible for something like this to happen. I once had a figure cross across my doorway, he appeared to be a man, or a very manly woman in pants and some type t-shirt, sweater, or otherwise. The reason I can't describe him well is, he was pitch black! This was what eventually clued me in that I had unknowingly witnessed a ghost. Why?... The hallway was lit, at the time I thought nothing of it because I didn't care thinking it was my father despite the fact it was far too skinny to be my father. So I went to sleep and a year or so later went, "wait, how could that have been pitch black in a lit hallway?"

Ghosts are known to repeat past events, maybe your ghost did the laundry?...

I think mine either had an owl obsession, or else I also had an owl ghost too.

I don't see what is so unbelievable about this story. The dark attracts some ghosts. I'd know. In my new house (thank god I moved, I still can't look at real owls without getting tense.) I have some kind of spirit that hides in the dark, and emits a malicious prescence.

I honestly can't tell much about your ghost though. It might have noticed your prescence, if it did it might be friendly. That might be why it stopped and left.
JadedDragon (1 stories) (19 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-02-21)
basements are naturally creepy places, My sister had one in an apartment, I made the mistake of making a crack about Resident Evil while down there and freaked myself out. It has rusted out metal doors, and those stupid caged utility bulbs too boot. But nothing haunted there.

Although on the mention of a clown playing music, I had a haunted christmas cactus. My mom ordered it through "fingerhut" a catalog of various cheaply sold items in the mid-1990's, it was a musical cactus with little twinkly lights and a native american village spread throughout the sarora's "arms" blanketed in snow and played christmas tumes while on. I was around 11 or so, and collected native american things, so I loved this cactus...

When it would play, I'd shut it off, then it started playing while it was off. I was also a coward and stubborn, refusing to believe anything when it firsted started happening, easy to claim I forgot to shut it off. Thinking the wires are faulty, so I did the next step and took the batteries out, I ran out of excuses after that. It still would turn on and play, so it got stuffed in a box of stuff and tried to be forgotten except for the occasional twanging of "jingle bells" at odds times.

Well I managed to forget I had it, I don't know how, but I managed to give it to my sister many years later after pruging a bunch of things from storage. I was visiting her one day, she thanked me for the cactus then asked her why I didn't tell her it was haunted, again I say "I'd forgotten" It was like not really beleiving what happened when I was a kid, but I found from my sister, the cactus still plays to this day.

But the weird part is, no one can figure out how/who or why it's haunted, it hasn't had batteries in it since the 90's. Even better, my son has an elmo game he got for Christmas from an aunt that plays by itself, periodically, and with no batteries. Peachy. Even says right on the box, batteries not included, I opened it to double check, nope, no batteries.

Oh well, a ghost powered child's game, parent's delight? Sorry I am new and long winded, There aren't many open-minded people around here outside of my family, so this is a relief to be able to discuss things openly.
B (1 stories) (1 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2007-10-29)
Ohiowatha, no offence but you didn't read it right,
I HEARD the box first, then on the way upstairs noticed it on the floor of the laundry room. And the "swish" sound was the best I could do to describe the sound. You know the sound a cardboard box makes across a floor? Thats what it sounded like and then all of a sudden there was a box on the floor.
And to be honest, I don't care if you people don't believe me or think its something I made up because of halloween. We know what we saw and heard and I don't need to prove it to anyone. As far as I understood this site was so SHARE GHOST STORIES... Not read someones story and disect it. Seriously no offence Ohiowatha but maybe open your mind a little and think about it and ull see that it. This isn't make believe.

so... 'tis the f***ing season
😁
mustang (5 stories) (749 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2007-10-27)
Hi B,
Seems Like you have a lot of non-believers of your story! Well, I for one, do believe that your friend could have saw a figure of that discription because I have seen that black shadow figure of a man in a coat and hat. He was standing at the end of my bed. It happened in 1995 at about 2:30-2:45AM. I was more startled then anything, being half awake and all, but not scared for some reason. When I said something to it, because at first I thought it was my husband and when I felt my husband laying right next to me, I knew it wasn't him. So I sat up in bed(this all happened within a matter of a minute) and started to say something to it, it darted off towards the bedroom door and I actually jumped out of my bed to see if someone had gotten in the house. I know, STUPID, right! Getting up without my husband to check out the apartment. I don't know why I wasn't afraid. It just didn't project that kind of feeling to me. I'm just one of those people that is a protector of my space, my things and my loved ones and I just took off after this thing thinking it may not be paranormal since it ran out of my bedroom door. Then again, it did disappear before it got to the door frame. I have this particular incident on my story "Shadows in My Life". It's the one where a few nights after I saw him that stupid ceramic clown thing started playing music and it's broken with no batteries in it. UGHHHH creepy as H-E-DOUBLE HOCKEY STICKS! I know that was cheesy that's why I did that(H-E-DOUBLE HOCKEY STICKS)=P
Well, anyway, I believe you but I wouldn't have stayed there talking to my friend! All you would have seen of me is a blur! I would have been outta there! But, everyone has there own reactions to different situations. There have been some times where I was too scared to move but usually I moved and very quickly! 😆
Thanks for your story!-Shelby

Sorcha (59 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2007-10-27)
Hi B,
This is a great story to tell around the campfire. As Ohiowatha said 'tis the season 😉
Hope you have a good one!
xx
dre (8 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2007-10-27)
lmao "ohiowatha" dude I loved reading your feed back it was funny as lmao!
everthing in your sentence is well structured and presented for us folks,
loving it man loving it :) peace out!
GhostTalker13 (guest)
+1
16 years ago (2007-10-26)
It sounds like a story my friend made up during the summer. She said her brother was in the basement with his friend and they saw something like a figure of a women wearing a amish outfit standing by the bathroom door. Everyone has a story like this one, they make it up right off the bat. I think this is either a bad ghost expierence that you can't describe well, or you made it up to just make us be well organized for Halloween. Oh well, I'm on everyone else on this. Sorry. 😢

GhostTalker13
luvparanormal (12 stories) (268 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2007-10-26)
I'm with everyone else. It almost seems like it was planned while being written...

😕
Ohiowatha (11 stories) (415 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2007-10-26)
...and I can't help but notice this is your first ghost story submitted here and it happends to be Halloween-time...

Well, 'tis the season!
Ohiowatha (11 stories) (415 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2007-10-26)
Hmmm, just a few too many holes here. The carved inscription and date seems too convenient a way to set-up a story. That's a pretty important aspect to this story, yet you can't recall what the name or date was? That's the type of thing you just don't forget if you go on to encounter a "ghost..." And the figure in the doorway was clear enough to make out a hat and "trench coat" (almost cliche, that), but not clear enough to discern any features. And Danielle sees a strange figure looming in the doorway and casually asks you who it is? And then you simply quibble about it without looking for yourself? And then it just disappears when she blinks? Something's not quite right there. If she really saw this, not only would she scream and force you to look, but you'd both be out of there instantly. And not only do you not bolt, but you sit there waiting for this "thing" to return and bide your time gossiping? Doubtful. And then when you both hear something in the laundry room, you merely "talk about it?" --because you're girls? What?! Finally, on your way upstairs, you just happen to notice a box on the floor. Prior to SEEING the box, did you really think when you heard the "swish" sound that it must be a cardboard box moving across the floor. To be sure, if I heard an indiscernable sound like a "swish," I would not readily conclude that it was a cardboard box being pushed across the ground. A little too convenient. And then you see clothes swinging and that's it? That's how you end your story?

Sorry, B, a few too many holes for me to believe.
4u_allie (7 stories) (42 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2007-10-26)
This sounds like not a ghost story, I'm sorry, but the truth must be told. Didn't you say your friend saw him and not you? I'm sorry, but I have to go along with ozone. This doesn't sound like a ghost happening. It most likely was the shower and also one of your family tricking you. But if it was a ghost or whatever, then you should get your house blessed by someone.
PEACE,
Alex. 😉
ozone_baby (2 stories) (28 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2007-10-26)
I hate to disbelieve anyone, but the whole trench coat thing seems a little off. 😢 Sorry.
Maybe your friend was just trying to get you spooked. Didn't you say that "she" saw him not you? As for the clothes, if your brother was just in the shower and the clothes were hanging from the pipes, like my mom used to do, they could have been moving from the force of the water.
Again, all explainable, Sorry
Ozone
Abby (710 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2007-10-26)
Dear B,

Only you know what you and your friend experienced. By your description, it does not sound like a past owner who had passed away and was a earth bound ghost nor a spirit who was coming back for visitations, having already crossed over to the other side. It may possibly be a darker level energy passing through. By the way, does your mom have Fels Napatha bar soap in her laundry room arsenal of cleaning supplies, great for spot removal. Sorry, could not resist. :)

Thanks, Abby
Shane (13 stories) (1258 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2007-10-26)
Not sure about this one. Half of me wants to believe, the other half says no way. Just have to see what my other posters have to say.

Peace, Love, and Luck be with you.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: