You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Estate Sale - Phoenix

Real Ghost Stories

Estate Sale - Phoenix

 

Mom and I went down to Phoenix from Flagstaff to the Parade of Homes with her friend and her friend's two daughters one year in the 90's. Mom was always going to Phoenix for one reason or another, I think she prefered it to Flagstaff. My dad moves us often, so I think they were only in Flagstaff for 7 or 8 years. I stayed 12 to finish school.

Anyway, we went through the Parade, like we did every year, and then wondered what to do with the rest of the afternoon. Mom spotted a sign for an estate sale, so we went to investigate. We pulled up to a huge white mansion with the doors wide open and cars parked everywhere. I wanted to stay in the car, I was really feel ill looking at the house, but mom was turning off the car, and I didn't want to roast to death. I hadn't eaten anything out of the ordinary, and the sick feeling only happened as we drove towards the estate.

When we got to the house, there was a woman sitting in the entry at a makeshift table and told us to go and take a look around. I didn't hear her, but mom said later that it was the Maytag family's house.

I went up the tiled stairs, and into the hallway, which was also tiled. I had to hang onto the walls, it was ridiculous how ill I felt. There was a pink bedroom on the left with a woman looking at something to buy, and I started to get the very strong impression to either jump out the window myself or that someone previously had thrown a person out the window. I stayed in the hallway and stood on tiptoe. Out the window was concrete and a pool.

I kept walking/leaning down to the end bedroom, not taking much notice of the furniture for sale or the people browsing. I got to that bedroom, the master and took a look into the bathroom. As I glanced in the mirror, I saw superimposed on my reflection that of a little girl. I looked at her for a minute, turned around and quickly went back down the stairs. By the time I found mom and her friend in the stage area I was in tears. I said, "I'm going to the car, I feel horrible."

With every step I took away from that house, the better I felt. Mom said in the car on the way back she thought something was weird there. I was still feeling ill, although it gradually got better the farther away we were, so said nothing. I still am bothered by that experience, has anyone heard of anything happening there?! I wish I had the address or could find it again. It was a terrible feeling.

Other hauntings by shelbyloree

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Arizona

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, shelbyloree, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

Silentwings (guest)
+1
9 years ago (2015-09-05)
It's definitely a good story, I have had a few experiences like that with both places and people. But in the case of a person it was that something was attached to them or within them its a very difficult but good gift to have.

Love and light to you
shelbyloree (5 stories) (285 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-08-29)
Asked mom about the furniture, it was done in the style of Queen Anne, not original since it has a veneer. Probably from the 1930's or 40's she said. I really would like to paint it a chalkboard grey, but it sounds like a royal pain. 😜
Mimi81 (203 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-08-28)
Shelby, thank you for sharing the information. I agree it's ironic for that type of business to be in that house.
shelbyloree (5 stories) (285 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-08-28)
Update: apparently the home is now a business which investigate criminal type things. How very bizarre. Or ironic?!
shelbyloree (5 stories) (285 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-08-28)
Mimi81: No, I have no idea who left the furniture, but I can ask my grandma. She might remember or grandpa maybe. The furniture is in the style of Queen Anne. When is that? Good grief! 1665-1714?! Ok, learned something new today...oh, my husband didn't even notice.

RedWolf: I googled the Maytag too, and came up with nothing. MystieGypsy found a house in the area, and although it was built recently (2000), I started looking for the houses prior to 1961 (Maytag's death) since MG still seemed interested.

Well I found the house. I don't know if the estate sale lady was just making up stuff about the Maytags or what, but it IS the largest house in the area prior to 1961 (built 1953). And it IS the house we were in where I felt so ill. The street name and number don't match the obituary street name or number, but maybe they were in the habit of changing them at that time? Don't know, but I can tell you though, in the 50's and 60's not a flipping soul was around! Anything could have been going on.

Scary about that thing coming out of the house like heat! Clearly not human. Again, how in the WORLD do people live in places like that?! Burn that sucker down and make it into a cornfield or something, ha!
RedWolf (31 stories) (1292 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-08-28)
shelbyloree
First I have to say that I tried to Google Maytag family home and came up with nothing except for Maytag Real Estate and Maytag appliances

Secondly I was once driving down a road and saw a fantastic house. It had to have been built in the late 1800's or early 1900's. I parked my car to admire this magnificent ornate house with a wrap around porch. It had to be a farmhouse at one time because Long Island especially Suffolk County was not very developed until after WW2. As I was sitting there admiring the house all of a sudden I got the feeling of pure evil coming out of that house. Luckily I got my usual warning of a headache and high pitched ringing in my ears so I could get out of there before the evil could get into my van. I looked into my rearview mirror and the only way I can describe what I saw is like the waves of heat coming off of the road and cars on a hot summers day. I saw it recede back towards the house. The road was in no way hot by the way as it was cool out.
Red
Mimi81 (203 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-08-27)
Shelby, the mirrored vanity sounds interesting. Have you tried to find the name of the family who left the furniture?

I'm glad you put up the pieces left to your husband. No one should ever feel uncomfortable because of sentimentality.
MystieGypsy (15 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-08-27)
Shelbyloree- Sorry about the delay! I've been having email issues. Check your inbox.
shelbyloree (5 stories) (285 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-08-27)
Mimi81: When my mom was 6 years old, her family moved into an old house in Greeley. The people had left a bedroom set there, which my mom and aunt used. When they moved, they took the furniture with them. Mom had the first grandchild (me) and so she was given the bedroom set when I was almost 5. I've had that furniture since, although my aunt has tried to get it back. I always had the feeling the mirrored vanity was a bit mystical, and wonder who made it and where it came from originally. It's the only antique furniture I've been really attached to.

Mom hauled home a dining set from an estate sale here because she wanted to paint it black - I about died, ha! She did paint it, and it's been fine of course. In fact it has the same shell carvings the bedroom furniture has. I should research that style.

My husband inherited a lot of knick knacks from his grandma who passed a few years ago. I tried to integrate the stuff (she was a very nice lady) but it bothered me to no end. Now they are safe in a cupboard somewhere. ^_^
Mimi81 (203 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-08-26)
Shelby, we have a house ban on antiques and used items for the same reason you get two people to okay items. Spirits attached to objects can cause some major problems.
shelbyloree (5 stories) (285 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-08-26)
MystieGypsy: I'm not seeing a private messaging area on your profile, so my email is shelbyloree [at] hotmail.com. I'll keep a watch on my junk folder in case you get filtered.
shelbyloree (5 stories) (285 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-08-26)
Mimi81: I agree, I just don't know how people can walk around a place like that and not be falling down like I was. Or how they can buy things from those negative places and take them home! I always try to have at least two other people "ok" antiques or used if I am iffy about it, for the very reason I don't want to be hauling home some evil thing.

MystieGypsy: I would like to see it if I could, that would be interesting. I am not familiar with how to exchange info here, I can look and see if I can PM you.

A_A: Unfortunately this type of feeling has occurred before, although when it starts happening, I tend to flee in the other direction. Bad place, stay away! This time, however, I was basically dragged in. Was NOT happy about it. I am just thankful I didn't vomit. Wouldn't want to be forced into buying the flipping rug or something. Yuck!

Was it an "accidental" fall? A fall at all?! Personally when I feel that way, I know in my gut something is off, but never have verified it. A bit afraid of what I would find, if anything.
A_A (1 stories) (37 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-08-26)
Shelby,
I do think this experience is a possible residue Haunting and that you may be have emphatic abilities as you picked up on the energy in the haunting and was able to (to an extent) relive the energy footprint left in the house.
I cannot determine in this experience whether you are a empath-Clairsentience or empath-psychic, and am curious as to whether you have had similar experiences.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
9 years ago (2015-08-26)
MistieGypsy - the only suggestion I have is ask Shelbyloree if she has a preferred way of getting that info, privately. Exchanging emails would probably work best as they can be easily changed if either party desires.

And thank you for not publishing it 😊
MystieGypsy (15 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-08-25)
Mods- I think that I've found the house the op is looking for, but I don't want to reveal the address to the world. Any suggestions on how I can help the op without causing a new sightseeing destination? 😳
Mimi81 (203 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-08-25)
Some houses have enormous amounts of negative paranormal energy. It can cause a physical reaction in some people when they get close to the house or enter it. I suspect that's what happened with you.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: