You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Dechmont Experiences

Real Ghost Stories

Dechmont Experiences

 

Back in the 70's when I was but a wee boy we lived in a Council House situated in the village of Dechmont in west Lothian. I couldn't have been any older than two years old at the time of this experience yet the memory remains as clear today as the night it happened.

My bedroom was at the front of the house, next to my parents' room. It was a tiny "box" room with barely enough space for my cot bed and a chest of drawers. It had a small built-in wardrobe just as you entered the room on the right hand wall, then following that an alcove with a couple of shelves and my drawers underneath those. A small window was situated on the facing wall. I remember vividly my "Action Man" wallpaper and curtains.

One night my dad had taken me up to my bed and tucked me in, leaving the door ajar to allow a wee bit of light to come in from the upstairs hall landing. I fell asleep quickly that night. Some time later I was woken by a hand on my right shoulder (I was lying on my left side, facing away from the door).

As I opened my eyes and turned round, expecting to see one of my parents, I was shocked to find an old woman whom I'd never seen before leaning over the bars of my cot bed looking down on me. I let out a scream and started shouting for my dad. As I done this, the old woman who's face was heavily wrinkled, with her hair pulled tight into a scruffy bun, wearing a typical Granny type apron and her dress with the sleeves rolled up to the elbow, began backing off bringing her hand to her mouth and ushering me to "shhhhhh, shhhhhh" before saying "it's ok...shhhhhhhh." She continued to back off into the far corner of the room, all the time urging me with "shhhhhh". She eventually vanished into the darkest corner of the room moments before my dad, succumbing to my screams, came into my room.

I had him search the room from top to bottom but no one was there, no sign of anyone. He checked the window, it was locked, he checked my wardrobe, it was empty other than my clothes and it was too small for anyone to hide in including me.

The same house always had a strange feeling for me as a child, particularly the cupboard under the stairs. Now apparently when the house was built back in the mid to late 1930's (to house the Medical staff from the nearby Bangour Hospital) the kitchen door was located at the end of the hall from the main door, passing by the staircase on the left hand side. At some point in the 1960's, the Council had redeveloped the house and the kitchen was now only accessible via the living room. Directly opposite the living room door was this cupboard under the stair.

I never felt comfortable leaving the living room unless I was with one of my parents. I always got a feeling of real dread anytime I approached that point of the hall and used to run full pelt out the living room to the stairs and run all the way up them, then rush down them on the return. I never ever saw anything but the feeling was sheer terror and horror.

My Dad used to keep his tools in the cupboard and if he was there I could brave standing beside him, though I'd get the urge to be shut in. Occasionally my older sister would do this. One time, the door stuck shut and I felt as though someone was in there with me. I could feel someone looking at me from within the cupboard, hear their breathing. Eventually I opened the door easily and jumped out (my sister had gone to get my dad to open it), convinced my sister had done something to lock me in, which she swears she never.

Sometime after we left that house one of my aunts told us she'd been talking to a local resident about that area of Dechmont, when she'd asked specifically about the house we had lived in. The woman then told her about a couple who had lived there sometime in the late 40's through until the mid 70's. It seems they couldn't have children though she desperately wanted to, he was unable to oblige. Over the years she became more bitter and resentful to her husband to the point where she would actually lock him in the cupboard under the stairs for days on end, literally only feeding him bread and water before letting him out for a while until she began resenting him again and so locking him up once more.

It seems she was a stereotypical Granny figure and would often be seen with her hair in a bun and constantly wore her apron while doing the house chores. He died sometime around around the late 60's. She lived until a year before we took on the property, apparently dying in the house and being found in the front "box" room, which later became my room.

Other hauntings by Aliendewd

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Aliendewd, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

A_A (1 stories) (37 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-09-08)
Redwolf,
I'd advise you to check it again, and if you still can't find it, look in the Oxford Dictionary of proverbs, page 123 under G.
RedWolf (31 stories) (1292 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-09-08)
A_A
I looked in the link that granny posted and your "Proverb" was NOT in there.
I liked the one that said. Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.
I tell friends and my kids just because someone said it doesn't make it so. But that isn't a Proverb, there are a bunch of things I say that are just common sense.
dreamer01 (1 stories) (117 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-09-07)
hi granny,
I agree that they are old sayings but I still attach proverb to some of them. That, s how it was said to me when I was very young and imprinted on my brain ๐Ÿ˜Š
Mimi81 (203 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-09-07)
Granny, thank you for posting the link. YGS certainly is informative. ๐Ÿ˜
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+1
9 years ago (2015-09-07)
dreamer01: I've actually used most of these, and I never thought of them as "proverbs" ๐Ÿ˜†. I usually use the precursor "You know the old saying...", so to me, they're an old saying LOL
dreamer01 (1 stories) (117 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-09-06)
thanks for the link granny,
It was rather entertaining
And informative i.e. Why keep a dog
And bark yourself.
That one I will hold on to...! ๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿ˜†
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+2
9 years ago (2015-09-06)
Just to shed some light on the "proverb" question, here's an alphabetical list of common proverbs: (check "W"):

Https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_proverbial_phrases
A_A (1 stories) (37 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-09-06)
Mimi81,
I do sometimes miss the whole point of things. Once when I read a book, and I completely missed the plot, I later found out when I watched the movie that the guy got molested by his aunt.
But the proverb was quoted by many people, including Joseph P. Kennedy, Frank Leahy, an album by Bow Wow Wow, and song from Billy Ocean. It's been quoted in The Lion King and The Cosby Show.
Mimi81 (203 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-09-06)
AA, I'm glad you clarified what you meant about the proverb.

I strongly disagree with you saying the spirit would mean no harm to children. She obviously abused her husband in life. But the main reason I disagree is the feelings experienced by aliendewd.

He told us of consistently feeling dread and terror when he left the living room without his parents. He was extremely frightened when shut in the cupboard. I can't understand how you came to the conclusion the spirit was harmless to children or the feelings were caused by bad energy.

And on an unrelated note, the "when the going gets tough..." is not a proverb.
A_A (1 stories) (37 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-09-06)
Shelbyloree, Mimi81
I didn't think the granny was malevolent to children, and connected the bad feeling of the house to bad chi/prana/energy.
When I quoted the proverb, I was not quoting a verse from the book of proverbs, as in the bible, but an English proverb. As in a collection of wise sayings that every culture has. Famous proverbs are "when the going gets tough, the tough gets going", and "hope for the best, but prepare for the worst", English Proverb.
Mimi81 (203 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-09-06)
AA, I think you had a typo when you used "Be not deceived..." in your comment to Shelby. I don't believe that's actually a verse in the Book of Proverbs. Did you mean it was an old "proverb"?
shelbyloree (5 stories) (285 posts)
+2
9 years ago (2015-09-06)
A_A: Read the story. The ghost gave him the creeps, he was terrified of the house, and he discovered previous tenants had been abusing and abused. Not a good environment to be raising children, even if she did look like granny.

And for the record, I seem to recall you commenting on my "sources" before in a similar rude fashion. Have you ever heard of an opinion? No source required. Quotes, on the other hand, DO require a valid, researched source, especially if being viewed by the public. "Proverb" is not a valid source. Try again. Your final comment about a stripper and a lollipop are so rediculous and odd, I'm not even going to bother.
A_A (1 stories) (37 posts)
-1
9 years ago (2015-09-06)
Er hem, excuse me Shelbyloree, where are you getting your information from? Your sources are clearly unsecured and you are deeply misinformed.
"Be not deceived with the first appearance of things, for show is not substantial", Proverb.
I can look like I work for a strip club and still give lollies to children and visit cancer patients. So excuse me for beating up my husband but not touch a hair on a child.
shelbyloree (5 stories) (285 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-09-05)
If a woman is known for domestic violence (like against her husband in whatever form) she's not going to be a 'nice lady'!
Tweed (35 stories) (2494 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-09-04)
Hi Aliendewd, very interesting experience and I look forward to part two as well.

I wanted to comment on the woman locking her husband up. It may be true she did this. But it also sounds like idle gossip to me. No doubt something was amiss with that cupboard you were locked in. But I'd take the stories about the woman locking her husband in there with a grain of salt.

Thanks for sharing.
Take care.
razorback95 (2 stories) (48 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-09-04)
Alien:hmm. Well I can't say you are wrong for how you felt. If you felt that she was a negative entity then trust your gut. I'm also very very excited for part two! Thank you so much! I loved this story and I don't believe part two will dissapiont.
Many blessings,
Razor ๐Ÿ˜
Aliendewd (6 stories) (22 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-09-03)
Dreamer01 - It had a lingering effect on me as you can probably tell. This was my first experience of the Supernatural and though I never saw this figure again, it was always there throughout our stay in that house and it wasn't the only one.

Razorbacks95 - Yes, other things were seen and heard in this house, i've submitted another story, a part two of Dechmont Experiences which I would think will be online in the next day or so. Looking back on this experience and others which took place in this house, I actually wouldn't be too sure about her not wishing to harm me. I may be wrong but there was something odd about that house, not necessarily evil or sinister but something wasn't right.

Haunting_Marie13 - As with razorback, i'm not entirely convinced she meant no harm. I may be wrong but that house had a very odd feeling to it. There was definately multiple energies in that place.
Haunting_Marie13 (1 stories) (15 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-09-03)
She sounds nice besides the fact of what she did to her husband. I would've screamed my head off too.
razorback95 (2 stories) (48 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-09-02)
Wow that one got me a little lol. I also would love to hear if anything else was ever seen. But I have to say I think even though she was very mean to her husband in life I don't believe she would have caused you harm because you were a child. But a well done story! Thanks for the share! ๐Ÿ˜
dreamer01 (1 stories) (117 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-09-02)
hi aliendewd,
how freaky for you at such a young age to experience. Did you ever see granny again?
it never ceases to amaze me how cruel people can be toward each other.
a well told story and thanks for sharing ๐Ÿ˜Š

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: