You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Old Hags / Night Attacks / Sleep Paralysis :: Held Down by Shadow

Real Ghost Stories

Held Down by Shadow

 

This is the first time anything like this has happened to me. I was asleep dreaming some random dream of me in my car with someone I have never met driving it. Then, I'm not sure if it was in my dream or not, but I was awoke by a female voice saying my name. It just said my name once and I was wide awake. It wasn't long or drawn out, just short like someone trying to get my attention.

I awoke and moved my head back and forth looking around my room. I looked left because that's the direction I heard the voice, but saw nothing so I turned my head right and all of a sudden it looked like a shadow had reached its arm across me and pinned me down. The shadow was angled as if it were standing on the side of my bed hovering over me. It looked like one arm on each of my shoulders holding me down and then its head was face to face with me.

There was no definition in the face or body, it just looked like a shadow. Its head was moving up and down rapidly, towards my face then away. I squeezed my eyes closed and tried my hardest to move but nothing happened, I tried to scream but all that came out was a few moans/grunts. It lasted maybe 10 seconds and when I opened my eyes again it was gone and I could move.

Immediately after it happened I wasn't scared anymore until I sat there and thought about what just happened. I have read about REM but not convinced since I was moving my head, legs and arms when I awoke right before it happened. I checked the shadows around in my room to see if maybe I had mistaken the arm and face for another shadow but my ceiling was half way lit up by a light on my radio. I also looked to the side of my bed while it was happening and noticed that it had no lower body, as if it was an upper torso. I didn't feel like someone was touching me but I could not move a muscle. I do believe that when I squeezed my eyes shut I turned my head to the left.

I'm not exactly sure what time it happened but by time I gathered the courage to get out of bed and turn the light on, it was 6:08am

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Texas

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Ronald, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

lewie81 (1 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-07-24)
this has happened to me a few times, but there is many shadows holding me down and I can hear like chanting plus they try to push there hands in my mouth,
Scorpion1014 (1 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-07-19)
This has happened to me when I was 19 I am 27 now and it happened again. I am sure this is a demon of some sort. I have been saved and all and I am not sure what to do. I came here because I went on google to see if it had happened to someone else, And I know now that it has. I am not sure how to rid our selfs of this but I would really like to know how
monkeyking12345 (5 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-07)
🤔 okey this is what you do forget the fear and shack out of it. Beat them at there own game so they now that your strong willed and won't go down with out a fight don't let your fear control you
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2007-12-08)
Hello Ronald, I would have to agree with the others on here that this was sleep paralysis. While never happening to myself, I have heard that it can be extremely frightening. I have also heard that reciting a prayer of sorts (whichever kind you are comfortable with) will help to "snap" you out of it. Thank you for your story.
Abby (710 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-08)
Dear Ronald,

Your experience is like those experiences as related to and explained below by fellow YGS commenter "jailarson (health issues, sleep paralysis, incubus, succubus, old hag syndrome, various stages of leaving your physical body, and so forth). You may wish to rule out each one for yourself and choose the best description, answer and solution that in your gut you feel is right for you. You may also wish to take a look at your life and what you are doing in your waking hours. It is your responsibility to find the cause and the solution that works best for you.

If you believe in yourself, your power, your boundaries, your protection and have great intention and faith in your belief, no human being or unknown entity can or will put you asunder.

Blessings, Abby
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-07)
Very scary occurance. To not feel in control of ones body is truly frightening.

Thank you for sharing with us.

God Bless!
jailarson (2 stories) (21 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-04)
You are not alone. There are many stories of very similar experiences. Most involve what is commonly described as "Sleep Paralysis", or the "Night Hag". Google those two things and you will find other stories. All involve being awakened and suddenly being unable to move, most likely paralysed by fear. The experiences are usually short lived. Some people have even reported having "relations" or being "violated" by such spirits, if it is in fact a spirit and not a common dream. Having willful relations with such a spirit indicates a Succubus for men, or an Incubi for women. Both are demonic in origin. I myself have experienced exactly the same thing as you. I recognized what it was when it happened and immediately began to recite the Lords Prayer. This seemed to work, and I have never experienced anything like that again. I hope this will help you if it happens again.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: