You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: Knocking On Second Story Window

Real Ghost Stories

Knocking On Second Story Window

 

This experience happened to me 11 years ago and I have been thinking about it a lot lately for some reason. I would like to know if this happens to others and what it might be.

It was very late when I went upstairs to bed, although I'm not sure what time exactly. I shared a room with my young son at the time. My children and I had just moved in with my mother, to save money, and my bed consisted of an air mattress, on the floor, next to my son's crib.

I was laying in bed, playing a game on my phone when something knocked loudly, on the window right above my head. I was completely paralyzed with fear. I know this really happened as my son started to wake up from the sudden, loud, sound. He tossed and turned for a few minutes but fell back to sleep, as I lay there wondering what on earth just happened, we were on the second floor!

No lights were on in the room except for a small night light and the light from my phone. This most likely made this experience scarier for me, as I've always been afraid of the dark. I did not sleep at all that night, afraid and curious at the same time. My mind ran though all these thoughts that night... How could someone get up to that window to knock? We were on the second floor of a very tall house, facing the backyard of the house, the backyard is fenced and the gate has a lock on it. Someone would have had to have a very tall house painting ladder to get to this window and climb it in the dark, which, I think I would have heard a ladder being propped against the house or some kind of noise besides the knocking.

The next day I kept wondering if it would happen again that night and what I would see if I looked out the window blinds but it never happened to me again and I don't think I really want it to! I've had lots of paranormal experiences in my lifetime, this is one I can't seem to stop thinking about.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Ohio

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, julesram, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
8 years ago (2016-03-18)
julesram - just because we provided normal explanations, it doesn't mean that is what happened. If you feel in your gut it was your grandma, I say go with your gut ❤
julesram (1 stories) (2 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-03-18)
Thanks for all the possible explainations guys! I've had many other experiences besides this one, I'll work on getting my other ones on this site. I was new to the house at the time and not used to its sounds but its odd to me that it only happened the one time. I did live in a house that birds would fly into the one window, however it was always the same window and happened pretty often. I'm not sure about the "forerunner" I'll have to research that more. This was the last house my Grandmother lived in and we did feel as though she was trying to let us know she was there at times.
Macknorton (5 stories) (646 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-03-10)
Hi Julesram - To follow on from Dand K's comment - I work in a small portable office, called a "portacom" here in NZ. It has metal shell, and when it starts to heat up, the metal expands and it actually sounds like a very large person literally tramping across the roof. Then the walls bang and thump as the sun heats those as well.

People who aren't used to it crap themselves! 😆

You'll find that on wooden houses to a degree, and the same effect when the building cools down. However, it was DEFINITLY on the window glass, then possibly a pair of blind birds blundered into it? How many knocks? Loud? Close together?

Knocking sounds are observed in many hauntings - it's a very common and basic way for spirits to communicate with us. However, I would think that unless you experience other knockings, spirit sightings, bad "vibes", things being inexplicably moved around, then there may be a perfectly normal non-paranormal explanation.

Keep us posted on any other developments/ occurrences.

Cheers

Mack
DandK (11 stories) (344 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-03-09)
Julesram, it could be house frame settling noises. I have a window in one of my rooms that occasionally makes a very loud knock. Startles me every time. I especially notice it during times the weather changes, like high humidity to low, or really cold to warm. If it hasn't happened since, it might just be something like that.

DandK
dreamer01 (1 stories) (117 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-03-09)
hi all,

At first I seriously doubted that it would be a bird but I have just done a very quick google search and it appears that there are several nocturnal avians.

I also toyed with the idea of a very large moth being attracted to the night light but it seems abit far fetched on reflection. Maybe a sudden contraction of the window frame?

If it only happened once it was most likely a bird me thinks.

Thanks for sharing 😊
MaryLilac (4 stories) (7 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-03-09)
Might the knock have been a "Forerunner"? Do you recall if a family or friend related event took place sometime after? Just another idea to consider.
Great story, thank you for sharing.
babygoatpuller (4 stories) (432 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-03-09)
I was going to suggest the same thing Miracles. 😆 I have a mockingbird knocking on my window right now and has been nearly everyday for the last couple of months. Except this morning he came to my bedroom window. 😕 As soon as I turn around he'll hop onto the bush, eyeball me for a few seconds and fly off.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+2
8 years ago (2016-03-09)
julesram - I may have a perfectly normal explanation for what you heard, based on an experience I had.

A year or so ago, at work, I had walked downstairs and as I passed one of the offices, I heard a knocking sound. The light was out, but maybe there was a coworker/boss in there so I walked back. Nope, no one in the office so I turned to leave. Again I heard that same knocking sound. I honestly cannot remember if the knocking happened a third time or not (my mind thinks it did but I'm not certain), but I finally figured out what was happening. There was a bird trying to get in the window and kept hitting its beak on the glass.

This happens a lot to the window by my desk, but I didn't even think about it when the knocking happened in the dark.

Obviously I don't know if this is what caused the knocking you heard, but I thought I'd throw it out there 😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: