You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: Nan. Is That You?

Real Ghost Stories

Nan. Is That You?

 

First of all I want to say I have been reading stories on this site for a long time. I've always been interested in the paranormal. In fact most of my family have. The person I'm about to talk about was very much a believer. My dear old nan. Before her passing she always joked about haunting us, we believed her too. It's just the type of thing she would do for a laugh at our expense. She was a great woman and hilariously funny. The head of our family and very much respected.

Nan. Is That You? 1

Her passing came suddenly to us even though it probably shouldn't have if we looked at the facts. She had lung disease, still smoked 40 a day and was 82. But boy did she cling on. Family was everything to her and I truly believe she did not want to leave us. Anyway onto the point of this story.

It was December 2014 and my sister had taken my children to the Christmas light switch on in our town center. Our nan passed December 2013 so we were trying to make that month a little more cheery that year. My sister 3 months before gave birth to my beautiful niece who unfortunately passed away due to a condition called anencephaly, an abnormality of the skull. She lived for 1 precious hour. So here's my sister, my two children and her son enjoying the night, they ask a bystander to take a picture of them on her mobile phone and he so kindly obliged. She looks at the photo and thanks the man. Nothing obvious jumps out at her at that moment.

Nan. Is That You? 2

Nan. Is That You? 3

Fast forward 3 months later. My sister is at the hospital for results about her little baby girl who passed away. She is passing time and taking her mind off things by looking at pictures on her phone, she comes to the family picture of the Christmas light turn on. She seems to be drawn to this picture. Suddenly I receive a text message saying she has a picture of nan and neive (my niece) I reply about how impossible that is as nan died before neive was born. She then sends me the photo and tells me to zoom into the left hand corner. Low and behold here is a a silhouette of what seems to be my nan holding neive! I have attached the photo for you all to see and also a picture of my nan too so you can see how identical this is to her.

My nan just wanted one last family photo and for all the children to be in it together. I would love to hear your comments and thoughts on this.

(For reference the photo was taken on a Samsung S4)

Light and love x

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, coolan, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

coolan (1 stories) (11 posts)
 
7 years ago (2016-11-21)
Thank you enlightened. I like to believe it is them too. To me the photo is uncanny but I know it maybe harder for others.

I think she came when most needed
Enlightened1959 (8 stories) (118 posts)
 
7 years ago (2016-11-10)
Hello Coolan,

All I can say is WOW! I have had some experiences like this one and I do believe this was your Nan. She was probably holding you niece!

Thanks for sharing!
coolan (1 stories) (11 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2016-11-08)
Would also say after reading my last comment I sound very contradictive of myself! I don't mean to haha my fingers move faster than my brain I think.

Have a great night everyone x
coolan (1 stories) (11 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2016-11-08)
I thank all of you for your comments, I have tried myself to find an explanation for it and I know the picture is not the clearest, but I do truly believe it's them. In our town where this was taken there are no statues at that particular point, behind the tent is something Called the city square, two fountains which are much lower down so I don't think it could be that. I'm personally able to make out the baby, may be hard for others as she did have a deformity, I can also see my nans nose. The only way I can explain seeing the baby is that it looks like "my nan" is cradling the baby but slightly upwards so as she could see if you know what I mean.

Anyway I'm rambling, red I appreciate that comment. Your the third person to say a new baby will arrive around that time. Fingers crossed.

I would also like to say I know there is a high possibility this may not be what I think it looks like, I'm ok with that. But surely not everything is coincidence. I like that little bit of hope
RedWolf (31 stories) (1292 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2016-11-07)
coolan

The close up was too grainy to discern too much but it does look like your nan holding something. I went to the picture of the family and in the upper left you can see it more clearly. I can see an older woman (nan) holding a bundle as you would hold a baby (neive).

It is not uncommon for a grandparent or other close relative who has died to be in the delivery room or nursery to look over a new born especially if the child isn't going to make it.

God Bless, and don't be surprised if your sister has a bundle of joy with her Christmas 2018. Not a premonition, just from experience with similar situation.

Regards
Red
Manafon1 (6 stories) (712 posts)
 
7 years ago (2016-11-07)
Hi coolan--I've come back to the images you posted of what you think could be the apparition of your grandmother and niece several times. I do see (in the close up) what could be interpreted as a figure looming over the stage (I believe the tented structure is a stage) and it appears to show a vague human-like form from mid chest up.

The "hair" looks similar to the hairstyle your grandmother has in the other photo you included but I don't see anything that could be perceived as your infant niece. The image actually looks like it could be the top portion of a statue. As the photo was taken at a Christmas lighting event, I imagine it took place in the town center. Many towns have statues in the center of the town and I wonder if it could be part of a statue we are seeing.

I am just playing devil's advocate here and am putting forth an alternative possibility. There is no clear definition of the "figure" and with the two tragic and recent deaths in your family, I think you all could be projecting details onto the image that just aren't there. That said, it does appear as some type of anomaly. Whether the anomaly is physical or spiritual can't be definitively ascertained. I am very sorry your family had two such tragic events so close together. If nothing else it looks like your sister and the three kids had a good time!
Seraphina (7 stories) (147 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2016-11-06)
Greetings, Coolan,
Your story is lovely. I won't try to comment on the pictures, because I'm never very good at spotting things. (My eyes aren't quite as sharp as they used to be.) However, I have no doubt that your nan was, and is, with your family. The bonds of love are stronger than physical death, as so many stories on this site have illustrated.
Blessings,
Seraphina

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: