You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Ghost Tours & Haunted Hotels :: Ghost at Alcatraz

Real Ghost Stories

Ghost at Alcatraz

 

I was up in San Jose California for a hockey game with my wife, my son and a friend of my son. We decided to drive to San Francisco and tour alcatraz. Upon arriving to the prison, we started to follow one of the park rangers and listen to his history on the island but it was taken far too long, so we decided to break off and tour ourselves.

We were walking up on the morgue, to the left is a small structure with two doors and a window in each door, as I look over I see a person looking directly at me through the window. I turn to my family and say "did you see that guy looking at us through the window?" and I looked back and he was gone. I walked to the doors and looked in the window to complete darkness and the doors were chained shut with a rust lock. The hair on my neck was standing. He was pointy in features, grayish in color with receding combed back hair, I did not see his body but I would say he was approx. 5'6-7" in height judging from the doors and him looking over the window.

This is something I will never forget. Since I turned 40 this is my second encounter, the first one I did not see but I believe I stayed in a haunted hotel room in venice italy. I will write about that also.

Ralph Ceglia

Nov 26 2007

Other hauntings by rxxxone

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, rxxxone, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

FRAWIN (guest)
 
16 years ago (2007-12-23)
Hi rxxxone, Thanks for sharing your story, I found it quite interesting. I have no doubt that a place like Alcatraz is haunted. When you think of all the pain, loneliness, and other negative emotions running so high,it`s a wonder that every prison isn`t haunted.

FRAWIN 😐
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-12-05)
Hi Ralph. I heard about the hauntings in alcatraz. It is said that there are a couple of hauntings in that prison. Well I'm not sure about all of them but there are reportings abou ghost almost everyday! So I'm not so surpriced that you saw something But I would be freaked out if I saw him. Nice story. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2007-12-04)
Uh, rxxxone? WHAT IS THAT in the two photo series of the window? It is mostly on the left side and does not really obscure the view of anything else, but it is just not supposed to be in that frame, is it? Also, what is that at the top of the stairs in the stair photograph?
luvparanormal (12 stories) (268 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-12-04)
I think that when something is meant for you no matter what eventually it will happen. The reason I say this is that it seems as though everytime that you have an encounter your mind is not even thinking about anything related to it but it happens and as if nothing you just wonder what it was (as if you could find a logical explanation to it) and as many of us know sometimes that does not happen.
I read your Venice story before I read this one. I believe that the more encounters you have the more supsceptible you become to these.
In my personal opinion I feel it is great, maybe they are trying to tell you something or asking you for help!
Good luck and keep us posted.
😁
rxxxone (2 stories) (4 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-12-02)
When I asked my wife and son if they saw anything they both said no.
as I get older I am more sensitive to things and to people, this could be a reason. Here is a link to some pictures I took. I have come across something weird when viewing my pictures, I took took two pictures of the same structure and in one pick you seee something in the window and in the second its gone. Freaky I will have to show those at a nother time, any way here is where you can see some of my pictures.http://www.pbase.com/rxxxone/alcatraz
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2007-12-01)
Self guided tours are the best, aren't they? You get to go where you want to go, see what you want to (or what you didn't want to in this case) and you don't waste time on the things that someone else thinks are the important points. I'm wondering, as your wife felt something in the hotel room, did she feel anything in Alcatraz? And, from your description in the comment section, you said you perhaps felt this man's pain. I can only imagine all of the different levels of such a emotion in Alcatraz. This story is truly amazing in it's simplicity. Thank you so much for sharing your first encounters with us.
Annie (202 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-30)
Ralph, I think he let you see him for a reason. Maybe he felt some compassion emanating from you? Lord knows that most of the prisoners there (if any!) ever felt any compassion in their lives. Try not to worry about your next encounter. Who knows? You may never have another one. But if you do, be sure to have a camera ready(!), and just try to relax. Seems you have a gift. Thank you very much for sharing your very credible stories with us. Can't wait to see the pictures you took.
Emma (3 stories) (39 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-29)
Ralph - great stories! I read them both. Perhaps as you are getting older (and wiser), you are gaining paranormal sensitivity. I hoped to feel something when I was in Alcatraz, but I only had a general "goosebumpy" feeling through our tour.
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-29)
I to have heard of the many Alcatraz inmates that have never left. Many of the inmates there spent more of their lives there than on the outside, this being their home, for better or worse they have an attachment they can not let go over.

thank you for your fascinating account.
God Bless!
rxxxone (2 stories) (4 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-29)
Thank you guys for reading. Athena as far as a feeling I really did not any sorta real like sensation or feeling for the split second I say him (I get chills as I type) I guess you can say I can almost feel his pain. There has to be some reason he let me see him. Shane I did take some pictures and I will post them on Photo base or facebook I will let you know when firs I must check them out very close. Bellissima quite the jold does not explain the feeling I had a split second felt like a eternity now that I think about it. I must say I am and I am not looking forward to my next encounter.
Bellissima (12 stories) (792 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-28)
Wow, rxxxone! Great story, I liked it. You must have felt quite a jolt when you realized what had happened. Like Athena, I'm curious to know what sort of feelings you had from this character, if any. Alcatraz has a great history and a great track record for the unexplained. From the conditions of the prison, you can certainly understand why. That's great that you got to have such a fantastic experience while you were there! I'll be looking forward to your story from Venice. Thanks for sharing your story!
Shane (13 stories) (1258 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-28)
Some say that a lot of Alcatraz's "former" inmates still wonder the halls of that now imfamous prison. Too bad you didn't take any photos of your tour. Thanks for sharing your story with us.

Peace, Love, and Luck be with you.
Athena (9 stories) (222 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-28)
I did a little research about A and it seems that there are any number of reasons why a being would want to remain there. Who did you feel the being was? Did you get a sense of what the being was 'feeling'? Sometimes, when people see beings they get a sense of peace, terror, anger, fear or sadness emanating from the individual.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: