You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Various Experiences

Real Ghost Stories

Various Experiences


My ex-husband (Joe) and I were living in a 3 bedroom home in a nice neighborhood in Kinston, NC. We had no kids, no pets, and no kids in the neighborhood... Our neighbors were the tame sort--pet store owner, retired dentist, firefighter, etc... The entire neighborhood was quiet and peaceful. One evening while Joe was at work, I had a ghostly experience while in the bathroom.

You need to understand the layout of the house, so please bear with me while I explain. When you come in the front door, you're standing in the living room. Walk straight and you can pass through a doorway that leads to the kitchen, laundry, and back door. When standing at the entry of the house (in the living room), if you walk forward a few steps then turn left, there is a hallway. Straight down the hallway are the doors to the bedrooms (one on the left, one on the right and one at the end of the hall). Take a few steps into this hallway and there's a very short hall that goes to the right, before you get to the bedroom doors. This short hallway has the furnace grate (huge thing in the floor) and then the bathroom. night while Joe was working, I needed to use the bathroom. Being alone at home, I left the door open. Sitting on the toilet, I was looking ahead. Suddenly, out of the corner of my eye I saw a man walk past the bathroom door and down the hallway toward the bedrooms. Holy shiat... My heart about jumped out of my chest! I quickly collected myself (finished my business) and then stood there thinking... What should I do? I was terrified somebody was in the house... But I was alone and had no phone nearby... And when you came out of the bathroom you had no choice but to walk on the furnace grate, which squeaked no matter how lightly you tread. I had no choice, I had to check it out...

As quietly as I could, I exited the bathroom and stepped as lightly as possible over the furnace grate. I glanced into the living room--nobody in there, no sounds, no weird shadows, front door closed and locked, and we never opened the windows. I focused on sounds in the kitchen--nothing. I then focused on sounds in the hall and bedrooms, straining to see if I heard anything out of the ordinary--nothing except the sound of my poor heart trying to pound its way out of my chest! Looking back to my left, I double checked to make sure no one was coming up behind me from the kitchen or living room... All clear. I then turned back toward the bedrooms and started tip-toeing down the hall. I stopped at the first bedroom (left side of the hall), which was the smallest. I thought... Okay, here goes! I threw open the door quickly, hoping to scare anyone who was in there and throw them off long enough for me to... To do what, I don't know! I just wanted to catch them off guard... But... I found NOTHING. I quietly checked the closet... Still nothing. I grabbed my knocker bat (basically a log that was formed into a bat in shop class as a prize for a contest when I was in 7th grade... I won... I chose that bat over the other prize which was a 20 dollar bill) out of the corner and quietly approached the bedroom on the right... Which was OUR bedroom. I took a deep breath and threw open the door--nothing. I checked the closet... All clear. I thought...alright, sucker...I've got you now! Only one bedroom left...he's there or I'm losing my shiat. So, I approach the bedroom door at the end of the hall, throw it open and swing the bat and... NOTHING! I mean... Nothing... The idea of someone being in my house scared the crap outta me, but actually SEEING someone walk down the hall then not FINDING them in my house... That was scariest of all!

Okay... Nobody in the bedrooms... So maybe when I was in one of the other bedrooms, he backtracked behind me... So I quietly approached and glanced in the bathroom--nothing. I tiptoed into the living room... All clear. Kitchen and laundry checked out as well... Back door locked securely and all windows intact.

Okay... WTF just happened! I KNOW what I saw... A white male, wearing work pants (Dickie's type) and boots... I didn't see the upper body, I don't know what he looked like... I just somehow know he was a white male. I don't know why or how I know, I just know. I KNOW I saw him walk down the hall... I heard nothing, I only saw him out of the corner of my eye. When I was done scratching my head over it, I called Joe at work and asked him to come home as soon as he could... That I thought I saw a ghost. He laughed at me, but when he got home and I told him everything we went back through the house together and double checked everything. Nothing out of place, everything intact... Needless to say, I didn't sleep a wink that night.

Later, I spoke to the owner of the house and asked him if anyone died there or if anything weird had been reported before and he told me no... And I had no other experiences there.

In this experience, Joe and I both were present... And it's something I doubt either of us will ever forget!

We were living in Deep Run, NC, which is a very rural area. We had rented a singlewide mobile home that had a HUGE fenced in yard, which was awesome because by that time, we had 2 furbabies (Prissy and T-Bone) and it gave them loads of room to roam in.

The layout of the home was... When you stepped in off the porch, you were standing in the living room. To the right was a guest bedroom and half bath. To the left, you had to go through the kitchen in order to reach the smallest guest bedroom (Prissy and T-Bone's room), laundry, back door and then the master bedroom.

So one night, Joe and I were sitting on the couch in the living room watching a movie. The sofa faced the kitchen, which had a linoleum floor. Living room and hallway were carpeted. All was quiet and we were into the movie then suddenly we heard the click-click of doggie toenails coming TOWARDS us across the kitchen floor! Joe and I looked at each other--eyes wide--then both of us looked back toward the kitchen... We could SEE nothing... But we both definitely heard the distinctive sound of doggie toenails clicking on the kitchen floor. First reaction was to see where the dogs were... And we both looked down to see Prissy and T-Bone lying at our feet, both of them asleep and missing the whole experience. Once the "toenails" reached the carpet, there were no more sounds. We were freaked out! No other experiences in that house.

By the way, if you have pets... Dogs, cats, whatever... You KNOW that your animals have distinctive sounds that they make. You live with them, you KNOW them... So keep that in mind as you read on...

Fast forward in my life... Joe and I are now divorced and when I left him, I took the dogs with me. He worked all the time and just didn't have time for one or both and they were bonded, so I wouldn't split the dogs up, anyways... My sweet baby T-Bone developed lung cancer and I had to have him put to sleep on Dec. 20, 2014. I had him cremated and I have his ashes in a tin sitting on my bar between the kitchen and living room. I really want to spread them in the woods at my former in-laws house (he LOVED it there) but I'm not driving 4 hours down there just for them to treat me lower than dirt for leaving their son! (I had a very good reason, but ya know... Parents never believe the worst about their kids.) Soo... I still have his ashes with me.

My house is small... So the layout is simple. Walk in the door, you're in the very small living room. Look straight ahead and you can see the bar that separates the two rooms and of course the kitchen on the other side of the bar. Walk halfway in, turn right and you're in the bedroom. Keep straight and it takes you to the laundry room and bathroom. Very small, very simple...

The food and water bowls for the dogs are stainless steel and are on the floor at the end of the bar. Both of my babies wear/wore collars with their dog tags and when they would go to eat/drink, the metal dog tags would bounce against the stainless steel feed bowls and make a distinctive clanging noise. I heard it every day, several times a day for years (15 years, now)... I KNOW that sound.

Soo...following T-Bone's demise, one night I was sitting on the couch in the living room watching a movie. My sofa has it's "back" to the kitchen, so if you are sitting there and want to look in the kitchen you have to physically turn around. Out of nowhere, I hear the distinctive sound of dog tags clanging against the food dish. I turn around expecting to see Prissy at the dish... And nothing. I glance down, and Prissy is at my feet...sleeping.

That only happened once that night, but the event repeated itself (I have no reference to a time frame except to say it was definitely after T-Bone's passing) on another occasion but I was sitting at the computer when it happened. My computer desk is positioned between the living room and kitchen so I only need to turn slightly to the right to see the dog dishes. Again, the clanging of dog tags against the stainless steel bowls... And when I looked, I saw nothing. I looked to my left and Prissy was curled up in the living room on her doggie quilt, snoozing.

Finally, this happened last Saturday night (Jan. 07, 2017). I was lying in bed, reading. It was after Midnight and Prissy was in her bed, too. Now, keep in mind I have a small house... I can be in any part of the house and hear what\'s going on in the other rooms.

I heard Prissy get up from her bed and go to the kitchen and get a drink of water. I heard her come back into the bedroom and instead of going back to her bed, she settled on the floor on the opposite side of the bed. Not unusual, she likes to lay over there and does it frequently. A few minutes later, I heard Prissy getting another drink of water in the kitchen. I thought to myself, that's odd... She must be thirsty. About the same time that thought entered my mind, I heard Prissy snore!

Okay... What just happened? There is NO way in hell that Prissy can be getting a drink of water and snoring at the same time... So I laid there about 30 seconds more and listened... I heard Prissy making other faint noises in her sleep... So I got up and walked around to the other side of the bed. There was Prissy... In the floor, snoring her butt off... I woke her up when I walked around. I looked back toward the kitchen (I can't see the dog dishes from my bedroom) but no way was I going in there, lol... So I just laid back down and continued to read.

I have another experience to post that happened with Joe, but I will put that in a different post.

My dad has heard my mom and my brother (both have passed) and when he told me about it, I had chills...

My brother passed away Aug. 08, 2013. He was in a single vehicle car accident, he just took a turn too fast and his Jeep flipped and threw him out of the vehicle. ALWAYS WEAR YOUR SEAT BELT! He landed on the side of the road, in a grassy area... But he hit his head and died instantly.

Daddy said that one night after Junior (my brother) had passed, he and Mom were asleep in bed. He heard Junior call him...


"Daddy!" (louder)

Daddy said he jumped up out of bed and said, "What?"

"Daddy, I'm sorry for everything. I love you."

Mom passed away June 28, 2015... She went into hospice but she had a massive heart attack within 24 hours of entering hospice and died. My mom was disabled in a large way... She was obese and could barely walk... Every step she took killed her. It tore my heart out to see her trying to walk with a cane or walker from one room to the next to get to bed, bathroom or whatever. How she managed to live that way, I don't know... But once she got to the bed at night, she was there to stay. My dad would go in the living room and watch TV after she went to bed. More often than not, he'd fall asleep in there and so Momma would yell at him from the bedroom to come to bed, lol.

So... He was telling me that about a month after she passed away, he had fallen asleep in the living room in front of the TV. He woke up when he heard his name being called... "Henryyyy! Turn the TV off and come to bed!"

...and he did.

Other hauntings by hawkseye12002

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from North Carolina

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, hawkseye12002, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

hawkseye12002 (3 stories) (36 posts)
7 years ago (2017-02-15)

I also believe the man walking through my home was passing through... I feel like if it was residual energy, he would've been a repeat occurrence but nothing else ever happened there.

I don't like walking over big things like the big furnaces, either. If you're walking on it barefoot or in socks feet, it hurts to walk on it. Also, there's that eerie feeling when the grate "gives" that you'll go plummeting into the bottom, so yeah... I totally get that, lol.

Thank you for reading and commenting, I'm glad you enjoyed it. 😊
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
7 years ago (2017-02-15)
I'm sorry it has taken me this long to read this. By the time I got to the end, I had a smile on my face. I love how you narrate; it makes for a very enjoyable read.

I know and understand the sound of your furbaby and knowing it is your furbaby, or not in some cases. I've experienced the same many times with a cat that isn't visible to my eyes LOL

Like Argette, I had grates. I hate manholes, I detest, and try to avoid, walking on anything that is covering a hole. Irrational phobia but I am always afraid it's going to give way and I'll fall into whatever creepiness is beneath. Of course my imagination makes it something out of Supernatural or Grimm LOL

The man walking through your home sounds like he could have just been passing through or it was a residual event.
hawkseye12002 (3 stories) (36 posts)
7 years ago (2017-01-23)
roxygirl...Thank you for your kind thoughts, I am sorry for your loss as well.

Aww, thank you for adding me to faves... My first one, lol.

I DO believe it is T-Bone coming to visit (just the food dish experiences) because... When he was alive, T-Bone was quite the glutton! He LOVED to eat... And when eating, he would stick his nose in the dish and wouldn't come up until he was done. He sounded like a coffee grinder, lol... Prissy eats differently. She will pick up a mouthful of kibble, walk a foot away, drop it on the floor and then eat it a piece at a time. Even now as the lone pet in this household, she still does that a lot.

Thank you for reading and commenting.
roxygirl (7 posts)
7 years ago (2017-01-23)
Hi Hawkseye, I'm so sorry about the very sad losses in your family. Including the loss of your hairy boy T.Bone. I also lost my brother in a single vehicle accident (he was on his motorbike). That was in 1990 and over the years I too have had many experiences which one day I will start to write about here.
I think it's wonderful that you are having all these lovely experiences and that T.Bone is still visiting you.
I enjoy your stories so much that I had to put you into my favourites:D
I look forward to reading about many more of your experiences.
Thank you so much for sharing them with us ❤
hawkseye12002 (3 stories) (36 posts)
7 years ago (2017-01-21)

Thank you for your kind words in regards to my family's loss.

You're absolutely right... Due to my "vulnerable position" (laughs), it was an extremely uncomfortable situation... I had the fear that someone was in my house and on top of that, the fact that my pants were around my ankles... Not a good feeling, lol.

In regards to your friend's cowboy situation, I am pretty sure I would not have spent the night there knowing it was a possibility he'd come walking through. You have more guts than me!

My brother was a caring individual... He loved children (he was like a kid himself in lots of ways) and in addition to working a full-time job and most of the time a part-time job as well, he was a volunteer firefighter.

Daddy did not tell me about hearing Junior and Momma until we were cleaning out the closets in the back bedroom after Momma had passed away. It was probably around September of that year, if I remember correctly... Momma passed away June 28th. I had had a dream that Momma was showing me something... She looked the way she did when she was in her early 40s, before she got to where she hurt so bad and gained so much weight. She looked healthy in my dream and she was showing me some paperwork. For some reason, in my mind I was thinking insurance papers. As we were cleaning out the closet I mentioned to Daddy about the dream and that's when he told me about hearing the voices. Incidentally, while we were going through papers we found in that closet, he found another insurance policy he didn't know about. It had lapsed and was worthless, but still... It was there. I believe Daddy mentioned at that time that when he heard Junior, it was close to a week following his death that he heard him.

Thanks for reading and commenting.
Manafon1 (6 stories) (712 posts)
7 years ago (2017-01-21)
Hi Hawkseye--I really enjoyed reading of your various paranormal experiences. Your encounter with the figure of a man walking by your bathroom door would have been extremely unsettling. Not only because of your vulnerable position but also because you initially assumed the figure to be an intruder. My wife and I have a friend who was home alone one day when suddenly a man in jeans, a plaid shirt, boots and a black cowboy hat walked through her living room, down the stairs to the basement level, then back upstairs only to walk into one of the bedrooms.

He looked liked a living, breathing person and like you she thought an intruder was in the house. A search proved the house to be empty. My wife and I spent the night at the house once in the basement and I kept expecting the ghost cowboy dude to come strolling through. He didn't. I barely slept that night.

I was very moved by your story of your deceased brother waking your father to tell him he was sorry and that he loved him. I was curious to know how soon after your brother's tragic car accident his voice was heard? I am guessing within a few days as it reminds me very much of what are termed "crisis apparitions". Crisis apparitions usually appear within a few days of the death of the person they represent and often impart, frequently telepathically, that they love the person they are visiting. Crisis apparitions are usually just that but there are a large number of reports, like yours, where only a voice is heard. So sorry for your family's sad loss. Your brother clearly was a caring and sensitive soul to impart such a message to your Dad.

Very sorry to read of the passing of your Mother as well. The reaction your Dad had was priceless though! If my wife happens to die before I do and ever yells at me to turn the tv off and come to bed, I imagine I would acquiesce too 😁.
hawkseye12002 (3 stories) (36 posts)
7 years ago (2017-01-21)

I also have wondered if Prissy has seen/sensed T-Bone. As I mentioned, they were "bonded"... Very close. We (my ex-husband and I) acquired T-Bone in December, 2001. We acquired Prissy around April, 2002. They were born of the same litter, it's just that the people who had Prissy first, well... Let's just say she was mistreated and we managed to get her before she was taken to the animal shelter to be euthanized.

Even to this day, Prissy walks around the house at night doing things I consider to be odd. I lie in bed and read on my kindle at night time and she'll go to bed as well, but...she'll get back up and eat and drink later on. Then she goes to the front door, sniffs under the door... Walks around and just "looks" at stuff... In the corners, under the tables, sometimes she'll just stand by the couch and look in a certain direction. I have no idea what shes looking at or if she hears something... I have no idea.

She does act odd sometimes but I can't ever "see" anything... I have only heard the clanging of dog tags against the food dishes.

Thanks again for reading and commenting.
lady-glow (16 stories) (3154 posts)
7 years ago (2017-01-21)
Hawkseye: I'm sorry for your losses although, it seems, your loved ones were sure to let their family know that they are still around even if not present.

I wonder if Prissy has seen/sensed T-Bone. Wouldn't it be nice if our pets could talk and tell us what is going on in their lives?

Thanks for sharing and welcome to YGS.
hawkseye12002 (3 stories) (36 posts)
7 years ago (2017-01-21)
Argette, thank you for your thoughts... I am sorry about your brother, as well.

I was not afraid of this grate, it's just that it made it impossible to sneak up on anybody, lol... It was noisy. It was as wide as the short hallway was, which meant that every time you entered or exited the bathroom you had no choice but to walk over it. Of course, it squeaked every time that happened.

I have been a long time reader of the stories on this website and had never posted my experiences because... In MY mind, what I've experienced is tame compared to lots of submissions I've read, lol... But anyway... Thank you for taking the time to read and comment.
Argette (guest)
7 years ago (2017-01-21)
Hawkseye, I'm so sorry about your brother. Mine died in August 2013 as well.

I also have a furnace grate, since I live in an older house. It has always frightened me, like it's a portal, or something.

You've had some unusual experiences and I thank you for taking the time to share them.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: