You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Children Who See Spirits :: Dot

Real Ghost Stories

Dot

 

My first of three children was born in February of 2009. I named her Dot after my deceased grandmother, short for Dorothy.

Dot was a healthy, cheerful baby, but she did suffer from colic starting when she was around a month old. For those of you who haven't dealt with a colicky infant, know that it's very hard to watch. There is no treatment for it, and so a parent does their best to sooth the baby by walking aimlessly around the house, attempts at feeding, burping, anything, all while the child screams in pain for sometimes hours. This did pass within a few weeks. I'm certain, however, that some of my grey hairs can be attributed to this period of time.

A week or so after the colic started, a most curious thing would happen. Every night, I would feed Dot before she fell asleep. But I was used to the colic by now, so it was usually several more hours of crying and pain for her before she would finally sleep, fully exhausted. For these particular nights though, for about an hour (from 6-7), Dot would turn her head away from me as I held her, and seemed to interact with an unseen presence. She would coo and laugh, and would be mercifully unaffected by her colic for a short while. She was, during this time, the epitome of a happy, untroubled infant. I was relieved she wasn't in pain, and would simply sit and hold her. The hour would go by, and Dot would turn her attention back to me, as if the guest were no longer there to play with. And all would return to normal.

I suspect my grandmother had come to visit her namesake, and judging from their interaction, it was clear she approved.

Other hauntings by monkeynavigated

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from South Carolina

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, monkeynavigated, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

monkeynavigated (4 stories) (10 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-09-25)
I think you're right, Jubeele. Grandmother probably visited because Dot was her namesake.
I believe that's the only time she visited. Nothing like that happened with my other two, and Dot hasn't mentioned any other strange goings - ons.
Glad you liked it, warms my heart too!
Jubeele (25 stories) (882 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-09-25)
The fact that you named Dot after your grandmother may have formed a connection between them. Was that the only time you had a visit? It would be interesting to know if your daughter had any other experiences as she got older. Thanks for sharing. Warms the heart. 😊
echosmithrocks (16 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-09-19)
Hello! Yes people do say that babies are supposed to be sensitive to these "things". Or another explanation (from my medical training as an EMT) is that their eyesight at 1-2 months is still developing and they are learning to focus, so they don't perceive things as we do just blotches of light or so.
tace (37 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-09-15)
Very sweet story of her great grandma coming to visit you both. Help from family during this colicky time is so wonderful.
monkeynavigated (4 stories) (10 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-09-13)
Melda, thank you for your kind words.

And Ann4shadow, thanks to you as well.
Yes, it's always the kids and the pets who see them first, isn't it?
Dot is now 8, and still very healthy, thanks for asking.
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-09-13)
monkeynavigated - I think most moms have experienced colicky babies and it's extremely stressful for the baby and the mother.

One of mine was very colicky. I would have been very happy indeed if some passed well-meaning relative, or well-meaning spirit, gave us a few moments of reprieve 😊

Regards, Melda
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-09-13)
Ann4Shadow - If somebody likes your comment they will click on the green arrow, which will give you a karma point. More than +1 will mean that two, or three, or however many people liked your comment.

On the opposite end of the scale if you don't like a comment, you click on the red arrow, which will then show a minus karma point.

Hope that helps.
Ann4shadow (1 stories) (36 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-09-12)
Monkeynavigated, Hello,

This is a sweet ghost story. I hope Dot is through with the colic now. I enjoyed this story; simple but it makes you think.
It amazes me how children, babies and animals can see things right there in the room with us and most of us can not see a thing.
I am going to read your other two stories here in a minute. Just wanted to dash a quick note to you to tall you I liked your story.

Be Well,
Ann 😊

P.S. Can someone please tell me what the little +2, + 1 and + 3's beside the top of some people's comments on here means? Also, what do the Karma points mean? I could use all of the good Karma I can get!
I'm sure it has been explained on this site somewhere, but I am too sick and lazy to try and fine it on my own tonight... 🙄

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: