You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Dorm Ghost

Real Ghost Stories

Dorm Ghost

 

Freshman year of college and I was visiting my friend, Catherine, at University of Georgia in Athens. She lived in Brumby at the time, a girls' dorm. Being underage, we spent our night smoking pot and goofing off in her room with her next door neighbor and another girl, Danielle, who had also gone to high school with Catherine and I.

The night was typical until Catherine's roommate joined us. She had just come back from the shower (they were communal, one for each floor) and said, "You guys have to come with me; there's a girl singing in the showers, and she has the most beautiful voice!" Having nothing else to do, we obliged. And just as she said, there was the most lovely singing coming from one of the showers. There were twenty or so showers lined up on two walls, but only one of them had water running. Pertinent details: The shower curtains were such that they could not be closed even if pulled tightly as possible; there was always an inch or so uncovered on either side. They were almost see-through and also quite short so you were going to see at least ankles if anyone was in there. (side note: what pervert designed these?) There were also no speakers or ventilation system to be seen except for the drains on the floor. The point of all this detail is to tell you that although there was a single shower going with the curtain closed there was no one in that shower stall or any of the other ones. We looked and looked, and all the while this girl is still singing beautifully, the voice reverberating from that one shower. Upon this realization, all of us looked at each other, utterly spooked. A moment later Danielle darted out of the bathroom as fast as a champion sprinter. The rest of us followed her a few seconds later, though not at a run.

Upon reaching the dorm room, we found Danielle sitting on the bed shaking and chain-smoking with an ashtray in front of her. We pressed her as to why she ran. "That was Tracy's voice. She always used to sing," she said. "She's been following me around - I saw her at the creek the other day for just a second, and then she disappeared. I swear that was her voice!"

Tracy was in our junior high school class with us, but she died in hiking accident the summer before our senior year.

*Names have been changed to protect stoners and the introverted.

Other hauntings by monkeynavigated

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Georgia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, monkeynavigated, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

MrsRamsay (guest)
 
3 years ago (2021-07-23)
Little late to this party, but I also attended UGA and lived in Myers, not Brumby, though have stayed in Brumby. I was there in the early 80s and perhaps things have changed but there was NO smoking of any kind in the dorms back then. I mean, you'd get kicked out so fast...

I do remember the shower curtains and you're right, they were awful.

Perhaps Tracy just wanted to join you guys in Athens?
AugustaM (7 stories) (996 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-09-11)
I am a firm believer in the paranormal... And I have also had experience with the weed... Yes, I have had some pretty spooky and sometimes down right terrifying encounters while under the influence but I have no way to verify that they were anything other than the effects of an herbally unleashed and embellished imagination. Granted, some cultures use various substances from unbelievably potent tobacco to peyote etc to put them in touch with the spirit world so I suppose it is possible that the answers to the questions as to whether what you experienced was an hallucination or a paranormal experience could, in a way, both be 'yes'. As to the one friend who was sober - if she was not a regular pot smoker and was around while the rest of you smoked, combined with the suggestive influence of what the rest of you were experiencing, she too could have been effected.

So paranoid weed trip or paranormal activity or a little of both? Can't say as I know but it is certainly a topic worth exploring!
monkeynavigated (4 stories) (10 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-09-09)
I never heard Tracy sing when she was alive, so I don't know.

Point taken on the pot smoking, but one of us, Catherine's roommate, was sober.

I don't know if Danielle saw her again. I wasn't that close to her, and she seemed completely freaked out about it. I'm not sure she would have wanted to talk about it even to a very close friend.
lady-glow (16 stories) (3154 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-09-09)
And what do you think... Was it really Tracy's voice? 🤔

No offence intended but, after smoking pot, it's hard to imagine that you girls would have the clarity of mind as to rationalize all the possible explanations for what could had been going on.

Did Danielle see Tracy again? Is there a second part for this story?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: